Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got many aussie mates ?

Got many aussie mates ?

Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:36 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light
Default Got many aussie mates ?

I'm really looking forward to getting to Melbourne and meeting up with migrants old and new and making new friends but was thinking.... Do many of you have many (any) genuine Aussie mates ? If so are they

1) your next door neighbours
2) work colleagues
3) relatives or friends of existing relatives
4) Other (please state)

Have a good weekend where ever you are!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:40 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got many aussie mates ?

Originally Posted by baconmaster
I'm really looking forward to getting to Melbourne and meeting up with migrants old and new and making new friends but was thinking.... Do many of you have many (any) genuine Aussie mates ? If so are they

2) work colleagues
4) Other (please state)

2 old work mate ,both sound as .
Pluss some rellies .
Old Aug 5th 2005, 9:59 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

2) work colleagues
4) Other (please state)

Mainly rellies but also their mates that we've become friends with too when we've visted. We are gonna have such a bitchin social life in Oz!!!

Nicky
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

2) work colleagues
4) Other (please state)

3, he lives in sheffield too, from sydney,

v very nice chap tho!!!

steve

have a lovely weekend yourselves
Old Aug 6th 2005, 2:24 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

2) work colleagues
4) Other (please state)

4) Mum of my daughters friend...has also introduced me to lots of other Aussies!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
4) Mum of my daughters friend...has also introduced me to lots of other Aussies!
I like your Kitchener sign, you will also be pleased to know that they stopped teaching grammar here about 20 years ago, so when some of the cretins on commercial TV speak, it leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat. Sometimes the collections of words they call sentences don't have a verb in them so they don't make all that much sense.

I dunno about the sausages, though. I usually buy the speciality ones the butchers flog, not the sawdust creations in Woolworths and Coles.

And I reckon I am pretty couth
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly Aussie freinds, aquired over the years through work, social gatherings, and the pub. Besides a couple of cousins here, the only poms I know, are my next door Neighbour (he has only been here about 8 months) and 3 pretty good pommy freinds at work (even the Stoke bloke)..

Must say I really enjoy the company of my two Italian heritage Female work colleagues. Not only do they delight in rolling their 'R's , but they bring me goodies like grappa and Italian cakes etc. Yes I like these latin women.

A question, is it easier do you think, to be 'Just" freinds with the Opposite sex here, than England. I'm guessing it's probably just the same ?
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu
I like your Kitchener sign, you will also be pleased to know that they stopped teaching grammar here about 20 years ago, so when some of the cretins on commercial TV speak, it leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat. Sometimes the collections of words they call sentences don't have a verb in them so they don't make all that much sense.

I dunno about the sausages, though. I usually buy the speciality ones the butchers flog, not the sawdust creations in Woolworths and Coles.

And I reckon I am pretty couth

As ever I cannot claim responsibility for the genius of the humour, it was something I saw & plagiurised , I think it was on a T-shirt somewhere. Personally I love Aussies and think Australia is pretty couth, but I can handle the duplicity of seeing something like this and thinking its funny.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:11 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We've got two really close Aussie friends and their whole circle of friends who we also know from spending a week with them in Byron Bay last year.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:29 am
Badge

If I didn't spend so much time on this site maybe I would make more friends.

We do OK - we are starting to make friends in the village - the thing is that joining the CFA was the best thing I did. It opens doors. There is an entire network just there for the grabbing.

We also have a small select group of expats mates - literally from the site/ and some pommy mates which we picked up along the way.

We also get on really well with people from my work who are all sad to see me go or so they tell me. I'll miss the big lunches.

Once we have kids of creche/primary school that will make a difference too.

I have rellies in Sydney, and close friends in mid north coast NSW who have a caravan on Philip Island meters from the beach.

My wife has a big network of mates too.

Badge