Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got a job in Westmead so where in Sydney to live?

Got a job in Westmead so where in Sydney to live?

Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Got a job in Westmead so where in Sydney to live?

Just got a job at the hospital in Westmead so am trying to decide where might be good for Westmead but also relatively accessable for the beaches and Sydney. I realise that Westmead is totally the wrong side of Sydney for the beach so would settle for somewhere in between.

Another consideration is perhaps a place that is on the Western Train Line but that could be a bit of a jaunt. It could be that driving from Sydney to Westmead be easier. Presumably I will be driving against the traffic as for my job I will be leaving Sydney.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

E.G. What's Chatswood like?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all
Default Re: Got a job in Westmead so where in Sydney to live?

Originally Posted by 77hil
Just got a job at the hospital in Westmead so am trying to decide where might be good for Westmead but also relatively accessable for the beaches and Sydney. I realise that Westmead is totally the wrong side of Sydney for the beach so would settle for somewhere in between.

Another consideration is perhaps a place that is on the Western Train Line but that could be a bit of a jaunt. It could be that driving from Sydney to Westmead be easier. Presumably I will be driving against the traffic as for my job I will be leaving Sydney.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

E.G. What's Chatswood like?
Whats wrong with Westmead just jump on the M2 and you could be in Harbord or curl curl in 45mins , and paying half in rent or mortgage , as for chatswood lots of apartments high asian population so good to eat out,
good luck
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oakwood 2
Whats wrong with Westmead just jump on the M2 and you could be in Harbord or curl curl in 45mins , and paying half in rent or mortgage , as for chatswood lots of apartments high asian population so good to eat out,
good luck
Chatswood is bigger than just the shops and the high rises, there are also lots of nice surrounding areas.....a friend works at Westmead and travels very easily to Westmead 4 days a week no probs.....

I like it very much here
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

I suppose our budget will dictate a bit. I did think about living in either Westmead or Parramatta but obviously halfway between Westmead and a beach would be nicer.

So from the sounds of it the traffic isn't too bad to Westmead? And is Westmead itself quite ok then?

Edit: Wife just said she'd rather pay less and be near Westmead. Doesn't mind the drive to the beach. So around Westmead or Parramatta it might be!

Last edited by 77hil; Mar 19th 2010 at 10:36 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not close to beaches, but Hills District has a lot to offer families.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

The Hills District is great. Plenty of everything, close to Westmead and only 45mins. from the beach.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Hills District. Will look into that!

Edit: Have typed in Hills Distrct into realestate.com.au and nothing is coming up. Should I be typing in something else for that area?

Last edited by 77hil; Mar 20th 2010 at 10:52 am.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hills District. Will look into that!

Edit: Have typed in Hills Distrct into realestate.com.au and nothing is coming up. Should I be typing in something else for that area?
The Hills District covers a number of suburbs. Closest to Westmead would be Northmead, Winston Hills, Baulkham Hills. Easy drive off the main roads or leave the car at Seven Hills station and get the train. There are numerous other suburbs eg Castle Hill, Kellyville, Rouse Hill Bella Vista and more but they would involve travelling, to a greater degree, on very busy main roads, which are more like carparks during peak times. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

denismca is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in Westmead Hospital for a year in 86/87. They had an accomodation block about a kilometer away that was fairly respectable. It had a swimming pool, tennis courts and small shop and was well managed. The rent was pretty reasonable too. I don't know if they still run that or not but it would be ideal as interim accomodation whilst you got yourself set up. Might be worth checking out.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by denismca
I worked in Westmead Hospital for a year in 86/87. They had an accomodation block about a kilometer away that was fairly respectable. It had a swimming pool, tennis courts and small shop and was well managed. The rent was pretty reasonable too. I don't know if they still run that or not but it would be ideal as interim accomodation whilst you got yourself set up. Might be worth checking out.
Great idea. I'll definitely look into that!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Is Parramatta still regarded as a bit of dump with quite a bit of crime? I've read that there's been a lot of investment round there.

Northmead and North Parramatta seem ok and reasonable rent. Cheers Gibbo!

Last edited by 77hil; Mar 21st 2010 at 12:31 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Is Parramatta still regarded as a bit of dump with quite a bit of crime? I've read that there's been a lot of investment round there.

Northmead and North Parramatta seem ok and reasonable rent. Cheers Gibbo!
Parramatta is not a place I would live - good shopping and restaurants tho'. However, you have the choice of going to Winston Hills, Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and Rouse Hill for good shopping and eating out. Rarely go into Parra these days. Would rather live in Northmead than Nth Parra.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Gibbo. Just good to get to know some of these names. Hills district looking very likely but would defo need a car.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers Gibbo. Just good to get to know some of these names. Hills district looking very likely but would defo need a car.
Yes you would. Sad to say that although this is a fantastic place to live the public transport is shocking. Thanks to successive Labor governments promising much but delivering nothing. Hopefully we'll be rid of them next year!