Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got an interview !

Got an interview !

Old May 21st 2004, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Got an interview !

Had an email today from Coles Myers group asking me to come for an interview. This is for a job I applied for in September.

Considering I have been back in the UK for six weeks its a bit of a trek to Perth. Oh well such is life, 7 months looking for a job and diddly squat, come back and it all happens.

So I guess for those of you out there keep plugging away at it and somthing will turn up.

Life is pretty much back to normal and Perth is a distant memory, there are aspects of it I miss. But the reality is we can work six months of the year here and afford to take six months off and live in Oz for six without working.

Couple of things bare in mind if you are coming back from Oz after a period of time (will post this on coming back as well)

Car insurance - most will not consider no claims earnt in Oz and depending how long you are out of the country you may have to start again. :scared: Norwhich Union allow NCB from Australia

Mortgages - :scared: :scared: That can be a nightmare because they dont like career breaks of more than 6 months, plus they want you to work for at least six months. Even if you have property here paid for they don't want to know. The good news is with some persitence you can get around it.

With any luck its not somthing you will need to consider as you head off to the sun, but its always nice to be aware.

Finally we just rented out one of our houses to a guy from Brisbane. Its a funny old world.

Good luck to you all.
Old May 21st 2004, 1:13 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Typical
Old May 21st 2004, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

that happened to me too - but other way round - last july i applied for a job then came here in september - my mom phoned in february to say that i had an interview ................slooooooow
Old May 21st 2004, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It is strange then that the Aussie insurers all seem to take into account your no-claims discount from England! I am glad they did or we would be paying a fortune out here now without the 60% off.

Hope it works out for you, though it seems an unconventional arrangement to work for 6 months and live in Aus for 6 months each year. Will your job be kept open for you to do this long term?
Old May 21st 2004, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
It is strange then that the Aussie insurers all seem to take into account your no-claims discount from England! I am glad they did or we would be paying a fortune out here now without the 60% off.

Hope it works out for you, though it seems an unconventional arrangement to work for 6 months and live in Aus for 6 months each year. Will your job be kept open for you to do this long term?
The insurance was a pain, like you say Australia take it into account and UK don't.

We both work contract so getting work is no problem, that choice was somthing we would never have had we stayed in Perth.

We wouldn't actually want to live in Australia for 6 months of a year but that was just the reality of the situation, its just unfortunate that circumstances dictate we are better off here.

We could not live in Australia and work for 6 months and afford to take 6 months off.

To balance it though - we could not afford to do it here had we not gone to Australia, because we would never have downsized and invested the way we have done. Life is full of circumstances and from what turned out to be a negative ended as a positive.

Personally I would quite happily spend 3 months a year in Australia as a holiday. Getting Donna back there would require a team of wild horses.

We are currently trying to buy another house and 8 months in Perth certainly has been an expensive doings, house prices have gone mental and getting a mortgage a nightmare even though we were putting down 50% deposit and had twice as much equity in other property. Yet we can take out a personal loan for twice the amount we need and have a cheque in 24 hours.

Last edited by karawara88; May 21st 2004 at 2:09 pm.
Old May 21st 2004, 11:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj

NRMA gave me a 50% NCB despite me never having car insurance (because I did not have a car in the UK). I have just never claimed. I am not on the max no claims.