Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got an I.T. job in Sydney after 2 weeks!

Got an I.T. job in Sydney after 2 weeks!

Old Jun 29th 2002, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Got an I.T. job in Sydney after 2 weeks!

Hi all,

There have been a few threads on here asking about how people have got on with finding jobs here in Sydney so just thought I'd let you know that my hubby has now got an I.T job after looking for 2 weeks. He actually got offered 2 jobs and would have been offered a 3rd if he hadn't settled for the 2nd postition. They were all contract jobs through agents and the job he settled for is for 6 weeks with a view to go on as a rolling contract. Its with a government department and they tend to keep on existing contractors, so the agents have said. My husband experienced no hostility towards the fact that we are british immigrants.

His skill set is as follows: 13 years experience in I.T. CNE4,5 & 6, MCSE NT4 & 2000, Groupwise 4, 5 & 6, Zenworks 1, 2 & 3, extensive project management experience with standard operating environments.
In a nutshell his skills made him unique in the Australian market and the agents were all enthusiast and keen to find him a job.

My husbands observations have been that there isn't much general support work and that without his qualifications and experience he would still be looking for work. There was stiff competition for the positions that were applied for.

Most positions posted for Microsoft products are expecting Win2K with exchange 2000 and SQL commercial experience in a large organisation, anything less doesn't seem to get a look in.

So although approval by ACS for the Visa can be obtained with an MCSE qualification and 4 years (I think!) experience, this would not be enough to gain work in the current market. Be careful!!

Any more people on here got any other experiences with the job market they would like to share on here?

Mandy
Old Jun 30th 2002, 4:20 pm
Andy Ball

Default Re: Got an I.T. job in Sydney after 2 weeks!

excellent post , good to hear some positive news on the employment front for a
change.

Any chance you could post the agencies your hubby used ?

thanks,
--
Andy Ball Greenfell Computing Ltd http://www.sharepointcode.com

"Mandy Bale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > There have been a few threads on here asking about how people have got on with
    > finding jobs here in Sydney so just thought I'd let you know that my hubby has now
    > got an I.T job after looking for 2 weeks. He actually got offered 2 jobs and would
    > have been offered a 3rd if he hadn't settled for the 2nd postition. They were all
    > contract jobs through agents and the job he settled for is for 6 weeks with a view
    > to go on as a rolling contract. Its with a government department and they tend to
    > keep on existing contractors, so the agents have said. My husband experienced no
    > hostility towards the fact that we are british immigrants.
    >
    > His skill set is as follows: 13 years experience in I.T. CNE4,5 & 6, MCSE NT4 &
    > 2000, Groupwise 4, 5 & 6, Zenworks 1, 2 & 3, extensive project management
    > experience with standard operating environments. In a nutshell his skills made him
    > unique in the Australian market and the agents were all enthusiast and keen to find
    > him a job.
    >
    > My husbands observations have been that there isn't much general support work and
    > that without his qualifications and experience he would still be looking for work.
    > There was stiff competition for the positions that were applied for.
    >
    > Most positions posted for Microsoft products are expecting Win2K with exchange 2000
    > and SQL commercial experience in a large organisation, anything less doesn't seem
    > to get a look in.
    >
    > So although approval by ACS for the Visa can be obtained with an MCSE qualification
    > and 4 years (I think!) experience, this would not be enough to gain work in the
    > current market. Be careful!!
    >
    > Any more people on here got any other experiences with the job market they would
    > like to share on here?
    >
    > Mandy
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 30th 2002, 5:20 pm
Karl

very thoughtful of you to have posted this message.....keep up the good work. Iam
sure a lot of people find it very encouraging.

Old Jun 30th 2002, 5:20 pm
Andy Lawson

On 30 Jun 2002 09:19:39 -0700, [email protected] (karl) wrote:

>very thoughtful of you to have posted this message.....keep up the good work. Iam
    >sure a lot of people find it very encouraging.

Missed the original post - but I looked it up on groups.google.com - very
useful - Thanks!

I have a mate out there who I think had much the same experience looking for
contracts - they're there, but not abundant.

Good news!
--
Andy Lawson (mailto:[email protected]) "I am not expendable, I'm not stupid,
and I'm not going."
- Kerr Avon

Old Jul 1st 2002, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Agents used - Hays I.T, CCS, TMP.worldwide. They all post jobs on www.Seek.com.au so have a look there.

Mandy
Old Aug 17th 2002, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

princef is an unknown quantity at this point

What does CCS stand for, Mandy ???? Any good IT recruiters you know of in Melbourne by any chance. Hoping to head off to Mel.

princef