Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got the grant letter but......

Got the grant letter but......

Old Nov 22nd 2002, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got the grant letter but......

Originally posted by kango_jack
Its funny how you anticipate how happy you will be when you finally get the Grant letter but things are never that simple….
We received the pre-grant letter by e-mail last week, totally out of the blue as we had come to the conclusion that although medicals were sent in June that we wouldn’t hear anything until the new year. Then yesterday we received the final grant letter from Adelaide – we would have been over the moon if only we hadn’t been informed on the same day that our house sale was probably about to fall through.
What is so frustrating is that due to the English laws on selling houses we have no come back for being let down at the last step. We sold the house in September and were told that the chain had to complete at the end of October so we moved out in plenty of time, (living with parents at the moment). Everyone in the chain has signed the contracts and given over the deposits except the b******s at the bottom of the chain who have yet to hand over any money…….
We now face the prospect of re-selling the house we moved out of nearly a month ago which we are still paying the mortgage, insurance, heating etc for.
Anyone know anyone looking for a 3 bed bungalow in Poole in dorset?
No real point to our post, we just felt we needed to share our disappointment with the rest of the forum.
Anyway good luck to all those waiting, hope your luck is better than ours.
Annie & Paul

Congrats on getting your visa. 12 years ago we were in the same situation as you - got our visa, house sale fell through, so know exactly how you feel. We found another buyer within a week, and the whole thing held us up about eight weeks while the new sale went through. It was sooo frustrating at the time, but once we got here we forgot all about it, in fact until I saw your message I had forgotten that we ever went thru all that negative stuff. Good luck with your house sale, you'll soon be here enjoying the sunshine. regards adelaidegirl
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default got the grant letter but

Sorry to hear of your woes. Stressful enough for most without this.

Have you considered renting out the property? It seems that a lot of UK citizens (PB/Ceri/others) are concerned that now that they want to move back to the UK they won't ever be able to afford a reasonable house. This would give you the option of maintaining an investment/equity in the UK should you ever wish to go back??

For me personally, I'd sell up and start afresh here. I would think not having a property in the UK forces people to try harder here without having an easy 'escape route' home (but I wasn't born in the UK so it's easier for me). In your situation perhaps it's a consideration??

At least you have an option now that you have a visa - Good luck whichever way it goes

DPR
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 4:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
Congrats on getting your visa. 12 years ago we were in the same situation as you - got our visa, house sale fell through, so know exactly how you feel. We found another buyer within a week, and the whole thing held us up about eight weeks while the new sale went through. It was sooo frustrating at the time, but once we got here we forgot all about it, in fact until I saw your message I had forgotten that we ever went thru all that negative stuff. Good luck with your house sale, you'll soon be here enjoying the sunshine. regards adelaidegirl
I can't believe kangojack sold the house before they were granted the visa. A bit like tying the ribbons on the FA cup 10 minutes before the final whistle.
Old Nov 25th 2002, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi KJ,

Congrats on getting the visas. So sorry to hear of the probs with the house! hope it all gets sorted soon! Think positive! these things happen for a reason! maybe you'll find another buyer soon for a higher price! more money to take to oz!!

Best wishes! hope you get there soon!!

Old Nov 26th 2002, 8:04 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Renth, You will go down a storm in Australia, Mate. The guy only wanted to sound off and relieve his frustration at what we all know is a very frustrating situation... He's not a "whingeing Pom" - he's a normal guy going through the huge stress of emigrating - give him a break.
Have to agree with you, at times all you need to do is to let of a bit of steam and then things seem a lot better.

Anyway,

Kango Jack I hope things look up soon for you.

Cinderella