Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got a dental quote...

Got a dental quote...

Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got a dental quote...

...3 wisdom teeth out for $1850 :scared:
We live in Brisbane. It's for Matt, he's on the temp residency part of his defacto spouse visa. Can he claim anything back from this? Someone told him he'll get 20% back if he claims on his tax return. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:10 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got a dental quote...

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
We live in Brisbane. It's for Matt, he's on the temp residency part of his defacto spouse visa. Can he claim anything back from this? Someone told him he'll get 20% back if he claims on his tax return. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Root-canal's are over 3 grand.
I've never heard of teeth extraction being a "work-related expense".
I think maybe the info he got was a little off or they got the wrong idea as to what refund he could get. If he has private health insurance, a portion of the premium apparently is claimable as a rebate, but you'd need to check with an accountant/tax agent/ATO tax-pack as to requirements and exact amount.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I have not heard of claiming dental work on your tax return? Maybe you can?

My mate claimed for his dog, said it was a guard dog and was guarding his tools..............saying that the dog is a poodle!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I think maybe the info he got was a little off or they got the wrong idea as to what refund he could get. If he has private health insurance, a portion of the premium apparently is claimable as a rebate, but you'd need to check with an accountant/tax agent/ATO tax-pack as to requirements and exact amount.
Yeah, it didn't sound right to me either.
I figure if I knock them out myself it kills 2 birds with one stone: we save money, and Matt can get his permanent residency on the grounds of domestic abuse
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:26 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it didn't sound right to me either.
I figure if I knock them out myself it kills 2 birds with one stone: we save money, and Matt can get his permanent residency on the grounds of domestic abuse
I can lend you a set of pliers if you like.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I thought it may have to do with Medicare, and the fact that it'll be done in a hospital....?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

I can lend you a set of pliers if you like.
What, the string on the door handle won't work?
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:29 am

What, the string on the door handle won't work?
Thought of that too, but the string might break or pull the handle off.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:30 am
Quiet one in the corner

kendra1 is on a distinguished road

I think you can claim a tax return on medical expenses over 1500 AUD.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kendra1
I think you can claim a tax return on medical expenses over 1500 AUD.
Aaah, that rings a bell. Thanks! Hey, if I charge Matt over $1500, borrow the Bloke's Plyers.... it's all falling into place now.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Local anaesthetic is for real men.....................

Always nip over to Auckland, I've just had one removed by forceps and local (no Hypnoval for me: amnesic anaesthetic is for wimps!) and the cost was NZ$ 425.............cheaper elsewhere except I have heart disease so there was a bit of a risk and I had to get it done by an orthodontist.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

No advice on the cash aspect but I'd just like to recommend the following dental practice for Brissy people:

D Ewen Dental Pty Ltd - Level 2 Brisbane Transit Centre, Roma St
(07) 3236 2984

Particularly, a nice lady called Emily Ong ... I was scared WITLESS before I HAD to go (yeh, I know, total wuss) and she made the whole thing as painless as possible.

I've moved countries, got married and had my first child in the last 20 months but going to the dentist was the worst experience ... weird innit?!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:54 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

we had a quote for our 2 children to have braces fit.....$10thousand :scared:
oh my god! now how on earth do people afford that! do ozzies go round with bad crooked teeth as we can't afford anything like that....they could have had it all done in UK for nowt!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by paulrachel
we had a quote for our 2 children to have braces fit.....$10thousand :scared:
oh my god! now how on earth do people afford that! do ozzies go round with bad crooked teeth as we can't afford anything like that....they could have had it all done in UK for nowt!
Got to pay for their Porsches and BMW's somehow.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Any insurance recommendations ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.