Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got citizenship ..at last..should we get passports yet?

Got citizenship ..at last..should we get passports yet?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got citizenship ..at last..should we get passports yet?

Originally Posted by craig_m67
Is that true ?
I wonder, could I leave on my UK passport, even though I last re-entered on my Aust. one.
Surely they'd be inclined to ask me how the hell I got here?

could end up on border security.. ooh the fame.
Yes it is true - they advise that you leave and enter Australia using your Australian passport however there is no rule which says you have to. Leaving without an Aussie passport would definitely be simpler than arrving without one though, hence what I said above about needing one to get back in.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes it is true - they advise that you leave and enter Australia using your Australian passport however there is no rule which says you have to. Leaving without an Aussie passport would definitely be simpler than arrving without one though, hence what I said above about needing one to get back in.
I think there is general a rule:

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/

So I think it’s expected that you follow it, you can usually get through without it, but think that’s designed more for people who have an emergency/lost passport, anyone else will just look like a fool and have to wait a while.

I don't understand why someone wouldnt get the passport anyway, it doesnt cost that much... not as much as the UK one anyway!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I think there is general a rule:

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/
Whereas smarttraveller.gov.au says:

Australian citizens who are dual nationals are advised to leave and return to Australia on their Australian passport.

...good example of joined up govt there!

I have an Aussie friend dual national who lives in the UK...he seems to have a thing for winding up customs officers by presenting the wrong passport...sometimes they give him a hard time sometimes not...never been unable to travel though.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

When we became citizens, I was due to go overseas for work about 2 weeks later. Panicky call to DIMIA & they told me that I would probably be refused to board the flight for Aus (depending on carrier and their perceived risk of fines for carrying passenger without entry docs)- even if I could show former visa.
DIMIA said that the systems would show visa in my UK paasport as expired and therefore not valid.....so easier to get second passport.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

I wonder what would happen if you carried a British passport and an Australian citizenship certificate

As I've always understood it - International law (convention?) says that a country must be responsible for their own citizens and can't deny them entry - so just not having an Australian passport at the border wouldn't be enough for them to turn you away. Perhaps I am wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

On the other hand, you may end up in a detention centre in the middle of the desert with all the other illegals whilst they determine your case . . .
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by iolande
As I've always understood it - International law (convention?) says that a country must be responsible for their own citizens and can't deny them entry - so just not having an Australian passport at the border wouldn't be enough for them to turn you away. Perhaps I am wrong. Can someone enlighten me?

On the other hand, you may end up in a detention centre in the middle of the desert with all the other illegals whilst they determine your case . . .
It's already been covered above.

You can enter without an Australian passport providing immigration can be satisfied that you are an Australian citizen...this may take some time so you are likely to be inconvenienced at worst.

What is a more likely scenario is that the airline (or whatever mode of transport) may deny you boarding for the journey to Australia if they are not happy that you are an Aus citizen or hold a valid visa.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

flair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant futureflair002 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by luchi
thanks for the reponse..yes...silly is the word here...the point is money is tight at the mo hence the question....

from the silly idiot!!!

how much does an aussie passport cost by the way....???? is it so much so expensive that we take all this hassle.. i am just a PR but anxiously wanna know the price :-)
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flair002
how much does an aussie passport cost by the way....???? is it so much so expensive that we take all this hassle.. i am just a PR but anxiously wanna know the price :-)
Child: $104
Adult: $208

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Queries/Fees.aspx
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

So for us, a family of 2 adult and 2 kids it'll cost $624. That's a decent amount to fork out at once. The upside is that they're good for 10 years (in Canada it's only 5, although they're cheaper). We're doing our application next week so I'm well aware of the cost!

Plus you've got to factor in the citizenship application which was $260 per adult, so $520 for that. We paid ours in June so at least they're spaced out a bit!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's already been covered above.

You can enter without an Australian passport providing immigration can be satisfied that you are an Australian citizen...this may take some time so you are likely to be inconvenienced at worst.

What is a more likely scenario is that the airline (or whatever mode of transport) may deny you boarding for the journey to Australia if they are not happy that you are an Aus citizen or hold a valid visa.
What I was getting at is what the position of a country is regarding their own citizens is as far as allowing/denying entry under international law. Just a curious thought I had.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I'm finding this thread interesting and informative....thanks!

I'm a Canadian who became an Australian citizen in June. I did not realize that my current PR visa would become invalid.

Guess I better get my Aussie passport.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:08 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paularn
I'm finding this thread interesting and informative....thanks!

I'm a Canadian who became an Australian citizen in June. I did not realize that my current PR visa would become invalid.

Guess I better get my Aussie passport.
Us too! We did our Ceremony is Sept, so we've been filling out the forms this week.

Welcome to BE by the way! There are a few of us Canadians on here
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:46 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

Generally great responses..thanks. ...we still have valid UK passports and not sure when we will be returning to Oz...sick mum in UK..could be a year or two..hence thinking about travelling in UK passport and when we return get Oz passport in UK before leave - as will have no visa in UK passport any more .....save money too!! Another bubs on the way..so looking after the money!!

But glad and lucky and be an Aussie Citizen....so good luck to you all out there going on the same journey..its worth it!!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by comet555
So for us, a family of 2 adult and 2 kids it'll cost $624. That's a decent amount to fork out at once. The upside is that they're good for 10 years (in Canada it's only 5, although they're cheaper). We're doing our application next week so I'm well aware of the cost!

Plus you've got to factor in the citizenship application which was $260 per adult, so $520 for that. We paid ours in June so at least they're spaced out a bit!
We are in a similar situation.

We may have to travel back to the UK. Family of 5. I was under the impression from a couple of folks that it's much better also for govt agencies in both countries to enter on the correct passports.

For example if we end up living back in the UK for a period and enter on Australian passports we then have to go through the hassle of showing how we entered as "British citizens".

My daughters UK passport is just about to expire so she'd need a new UK one. Bub number 3 needs his first passport. So I am not sure now if I will need to get 5 Australian and 2 British ones. All I can think about is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ either way. With a bad winter for work and and new bub and the baby bonus about to finish I don't like to part with the money - I could do with the house selling so I can finance the passports!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

This article may be relevant to some of you. Not sure when this is supposed to be coming in - the article was in the paper in April or May 2009.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
telegraphborderarticle.pdf (85.3 KB, 105 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.