Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got citizenship ..at last..should we get passports yet?

Got citizenship ..at last..should we get passports yet?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:42 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of
Default Got citizenship ..at last..should we get passports yet?

After a long time we have finally got our citizenship!! Phew.....now we are not sure whether to fork out the money to get the passports or not....we need to go back to UK for a while (family reasons) but hope to come back to Oz.....I will check with immigration...but just wondered if anyone else knew about this....
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got citizenship ..at last..should we get passports yet?

Well you don't need an Aus passport to leave Australia, however you will need one to get back in. If you are planning on being away from Australia for a considerable time you might as well wait and maximise the life of your new passport when you do finally get it.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:46 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well you don't need an Aus passport to leave Australia, however you will need one to get back in. If you are planning on being away from Australia for a considerable time you might as well wait and maximise the life of your new passport when you do finally get it.
cheers..thats what we though....we still have uk ones....really I think once we have citizenship we dont need passport to prove it...
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

my husband just got his citizenship and he was told verbally that he would need a passport to get into Australia when traveling. He also got a letter that said that a passport was the preferred method of entry to Australia. Having looked into it apparently you can travel without a passport as technically they have to allow you in, but not before you go through the hassle of them verifying your citizenship (which can take several hours - not something I'd want after a long haul flight)
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:49 am
Ocean Reef

Originally Posted by iolande
my husband just got his citizenship and he was told verbally that he would need a passport to get into Australia when traveling. He also got a letter that said that a passport was the preferred method of entry to Australia. Having looked into it apparently you can travel without a passport as technically they have to allow you in, but not before you go through the hassle of them verifying your citizenship (which can take several hours - not something I'd want after a long haul flight)
thats good to know...cheers
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

this is where I got the info:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/dualnat.html

An Australian citizen who arrives without an Australian passport may be delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been checked. If a foreign passport holder claims to be an Australian citizen, immigration officers must confirm and verify this through official databases. This will invariably cause some delays to the person while the authorities undertake the necessary enquiries.

International airlines have an obligation to ensure that they only carry appropriately documented passengers to Australia. In the absence of an Australian passport, airlines are unable to assess an Australian citizen's claimed citizenship at the time of check-in and may decline to carry the traveller. Or they may have to make inquiries with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship in Australia seeking approval to carry the passenger which takes time and may cause inconvenience to the passenger.

Last edited by iolande; Sep 29th 2009 at 5:52 am. Reason: add the 2nd paragraph
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:08 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luchi
cheers..thats what we though....we still have uk ones....really I think once we have citizenship we dont need passport to prove it...
If you tried to re-enter Australia on a UK passport you would look mighty silly and not to mention the embarrassment being taken to one side by immigration who would have to sort it all out. Even though you COULD turn up to immigration with your citizenship papers you would still be delayed for who knows how long whilst its resolved. The procedure would normally be for people with lost passports whilst abroad and similar emergency situations.

I must admit if I were standing behind you in the immigration queue I was would be thinking myself "what an idiot" and pretty much I reckon thats what the immigration officer would be thinking too.

That is of course even if your airline will allow you to board the flight back to Australia since your visa is no longer valid.

As you can see - its not worth it. Just get a passport. I'm not really sure why you would think that you don't need a passport to be honest. Would you expect the same if you turned up to the UK with an Australian passport ?

On the plus side your new passport means it will be biometric so you can make use of the new Australian Citizen electronic entry gates which are very cool indeed and you dont even speak to an immigration officer, you just get scanned and the gate opens Its so quick and saves queuing.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:07 am
Ocean Reef

Originally Posted by Centurion
If you tried to re-enter Australia on a UK passport you would look mighty silly and not to mention the embarrassment being taken to one side by immigration who would have to sort it all out. Even though you COULD turn up to immigration with your citizenship papers you would still be delayed for who knows how long whilst its resolved. The procedure would normally be for people with lost passports whilst abroad and similar emergency situations.

I must admit if I were standing behind you in the immigration queue I was would be thinking myself "what an idiot" and pretty much I reckon thats what the immigration officer would be thinking too.

That is of course even if your airline will allow you to board the flight back to Australia since your visa is no longer valid.

As you can see - its not worth it. Just get a passport. I'm not really sure why you would think that you don't need a passport to be honest. Would you expect the same if you turned up to the UK with an Australian passport ?

On the plus side your new passport means it will be biometric so you can make use of the new Australian Citizen electronic entry gates which are very cool indeed and you dont even speak to an immigration officer, you just get scanned and the gate opens Its so quick and saves queuing.
thanks for the reponse..yes...silly is the word here...the point is money is tight at the mo hence the question....

from the silly idiot!!!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

cat5 will become famous soon enoughcat5 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by luchi
After a long time we have finally got our citizenship!! Phew.....now we are not sure whether to fork out the money to get the passports or not....we need to go back to UK for a while (family reasons) but hope to come back to Oz.....I will check with immigration...but just wondered if anyone else knew about this....
Don't forget that when you get your citizenship, your PR visa in your UK passport is automatically cancelled, so it's a good idea to get the aussie one for hassle free travel.....
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld

Is that true ?
I wonder, could I leave on my UK passport, even though I last re-entered on my Aust. one.
Surely they'd be inclined to ask me how the hell I got here?

could end up on border security.. ooh the fame.

Last edited by craig_m67; Sep 29th 2009 at 9:00 am.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig_m67
Is that true ?
I wonder, could I leave on my UK passport, even though I last re-entered on my Aust. one.
Surely they'd be inclined to ask me how the hell I got here?

could end up on border security.. ooh the fame.
They might. Best to leave and enter Aus on Aus one. What you do from there is your business
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

that would mean renewing the Aust. one before i left.
i too am in two minds about staying in Aust.

and i'm an Aussie
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

that would mean renewing the Aust. one before i left.
i too am in two minds about staying in Aust.

and i'm an Aussie
You can renew in UK, I have without any drama.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

yep, I know.. hence the question about leaving Aust. on a UK passport that is .. apart from an entry/exit for Cuba in 2003, completly blank.

"I realise you're leaving sir.. but how'd you get here in the first place."
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:24 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

yep, I know.. hence the question about leaving Aust. on a UK passport that is .. apart from an entry/exit for Cuba in 2003, completly blank.

"I realise you're leaving sir.. but how'd you get here in the first place."
Your visa label will still be in your UK passport, so they would know exactly how you got in. It would also be on the computers.

We also have stamps every time we entered Australia, surely you'd have some of those in there somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.