Gosford NSW

Old May 8th 2004, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Reading Berks. Now Palm Beach (summer bay), Sydney NSW
Ady Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really nice
Default Gosford NSW

Hi all
Our visa application is in its early stages, been approved by TRA but now waiting to see if we're going to be let in. we are sure we want to be near Sydney but not too near. Like the look of Gosford and surrounding area.
House prices look a little more realistic for our budget, and looks like we could get our dream home around Gosford. Can anyone tell me what the schools are like around that area, particularly Wyoming,Lisarow and Narara. Our 2 little girls are 6 and 3.
Also what is the area like in general, you never really know until you live there!

Thanks in advance
Ady
Old May 9th 2004, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Cestrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gosford NSW

Originally posted by Ady Whit
Hi all
Our visa application is in its early stages, been approved by TRA but now waiting to see if we're going to be let in. we are sure we want to be near Sydney but not too near. Like the look of Gosford and surrounding area.
House prices look a little more realistic for our budget, and looks like we could get our dream home around Gosford. Can anyone tell me what the schools are like around that area, particularly Wyoming,Lisarow and Narara. Our 2 little girls are 6 and 3.
Also what is the area like in general, you never really know until you live there!

Thanks in advance
Ady
Hi Ady,
I live in Gosford, or to be more precise a suburb of it. You're right the prices are cheaper than Sydney and lots of people commute in on the train (a good rail service). Gosford is part of the central coast which has loads of nice beaches and national reserves. So, it's a nice part of the world. The town itself is nothing special. They have been trying to upgrade the CBD for some time but the politicians can't agree - hence it looks a little run down at the moment. Shopping and other facilities are good - especially at Erina Fair which is the huge out of town shopping mall (and ice rink, cinemas, gym, restaurants etc). Health and other services seem fine. No knowledge of the schools I'm afraid.

The areas you mention are some of the cheaper ones. I know that Lisarow can get quite damp and misty during the winter months but I don't really know enough about the areas to give you any more info.

For more general info check out:

www.thecentralcoast.org/

Good luck
Old May 9th 2004, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice

Hi all

Thanks in advance
Ady
Hi Andy - We live very near Gosford . We are living in the Woy Woy/Umina area and are a 10/15 minutes drive from Gosford. It is a beautiful area here and you will not be sorry if you decide to reside around this area. Cannot help I am afraid with schools in the areas you mentioned. I commute from Woy to Sydney by train. Train time from woy to Sydney Central is 70/75 mins so 80/85 from Gosford station

As I say the central coast is a very nice place to live with glorious beaches and park reserves. Good shopping near to Gosford at Erina Fair. Good stadium in Gosford. Home for the Central Leagues Club which is a big club with great facilities. Situated on Brisbane Water. We have been here six months and have settled very well. Good luck to you and keep in touch Barry & Carol
Old May 9th 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice

Originally posted by Cestrian
Hi Ady,
I live in Gosford, or to be more precise a suburb of it. You're right the prices are cheaper than Sydney and lots of people commute in on the train (a good rail service). Gosford is part of the central coast which has loads of nice beaches and national reserves. So, it's a nice part of the world. The town itself is nothing special. They have been trying to upgrade the CBD for some time but the politicians can't agree - hence it looks a little run down at the moment. Shopping and other facilities are good - especially at Erina Fair which is the huge out of town shopping mall (and ice rink, cinemas, gym, restaurants etc). Health and other services seem fine. No knowledge of the schools I'm afraid.

The areas you mention are some of the cheaper ones. I know that Lisarow can get quite damp and misty during the winter months but I don't really know enough about the areas to give you any more info.

For more general info check out:

www.thecentralcoast.org/

Good luck
Hi Cestrian - Nice to see some of us are on central coast. Where are u from in UK and how long have you been here ?
We are from Poole, Dorset and arrived Last October (me) December (Carol and cassie)

Barry
Old May 9th 2004, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by barry&carol
Hi Cestrian - Nice to see some of us are on central coast. Where are u from in UK and how long have you been here ?
We are from Poole, Dorset and arrived Last October (me) December (Carol and cassie)

Barry
Hi Barry. I've had family connections here for many many years so have visited the area lots of times over the last 10/15 years. However it was only in Feb of this year that my personal situation was such that I could move out here on a permanent basis - so still a bit of a newcomer (at least to the permanency feeling!).
Old May 9th 2004, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Reading Berks. Now Palm Beach (summer bay), Sydney NSW
Ady Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really nice

Originally posted by barry&carol
Hi Andy - We live very near Gosford . We are living in the Woy Woy/Umina area and are a 10/15 minutes drive from Gosford. It is a beautiful area here and you will not be sorry if you decide to reside around this area. Cannot help I am afraid with schools in the areas you mentioned. I commute from Woy to Sydney by train. Train time from woy to Sydney Central is 70/75 mins so 80/85 from Gosford station

As I say the central coast is a very nice place to live with glorious beaches and park reserves. Good shopping near to Gosford at Erina Fair. Good stadium in Gosford. Home for the Central Leagues Club which is a big club with great facilities. Situated on Brisbane Water. We have been here six months and have settled very well. Good luck to you and keep in touch Barry & Carol
Hi Barry and Carol
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Just trying to find an area somewhere around Gosford and was'nt sure about schools and commuting as I assume there wont be much in the way of work around that area. Sounds great and can't wait to be there hoping all goes well with visa.
The stadium you mentioned, does it host a football ( sorry soccer) team as I think that maybe one of the major things I would miss. I know the level of football is not as good in Oz but I am used to that being an Oxford fan!!
Thanks
Ady
Old May 9th 2004, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Barry and Carol
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Just trying to find an area somewhere around Gosford and was'nt sure about schools and commuting as I assume there wont be much in the way of work around that area. Sounds great and can't wait to be there hoping all goes well with visa.
The stadium you mentioned, does it host a football ( sorry soccer) team as I think that maybe one of the major things I would miss. I know the level of football is not as good in Oz but I am used to that being an Oxford fan!!
Thanks
Ady
Hi Ady. Yes I miss soccer too. The large stadium in Gosford hosts mainly rugby league. There is a local soccer team (Central Coast United) who are in the NSW Premier League. I went to see them play on Saturday night at a local ground. They lost 2-0 but (just managed to fight off relegation from the Premier league due to the fact that other teams did worse)!. Have a look at
www.soccernsw.com.au
Old May 10th 2004, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

erm I may have to throw in a slightly negative post here.

a) the stadium has NO regular reasonable level of sport played at it. They are trying for a RL franchise, but frankly I don't think they'll get it in the short term.

b) Central Coast is oft referred to as Campbelltown-on-sea.

c) Trains to Sydney are 1 hour+ so bear this in mind if you need to commute for work - loads do, but it could be a bind.

d) Spike Milligan famously declared Woy Woy as the worlds first overground cemetary. (he used to live there).

I would say it is a nice place to visit, but don't just jump in before hearing the pros and cons.
Old May 10th 2004, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

We're looking seriously at the Woy Woy area to buy. Whilst its great living in Sydney's Northern Beaches, the house prices are out of our league. You need $850,000+ in Mona Vale for a decent 3/4 bed house, and even more if you look toward Avalon and Palm Beach.

Went up last week end for a 'look see' - and very much liked what we saw.

It's good to see there's a contingent of ex-pats there already. Hope you don't mind me picking your brains on occassions. You never know, we could move next door!

Cheers

Kev
Old May 14th 2004, 9:36 pm
PommieLeague

Anyone tell me how i can get an Erina Rugby League jersey? Ta