Gosford ?

Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

RichnKim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gosford ?

Hi All

New to the Website. In the process of applying for PR for Oz. To try and stay sane i've been checking out places to live. Visited Sydney a couple of times, Loved it but not with two young Kids.

So started looking up places on the Central Coast and saw Gosford. Just wondering if anybodies been there.

Any info would be great

Rgds

Rich
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice
Default Re: Gosford ?

Originally posted by RichnKim
Hi All

New to the Website. In the process of applying for PR for Oz. To try and stay sane i've been checking out places to live. Visited Sydney a couple of times, Loved it but not with two young Kids.

So started looking up places on the Central Coast and saw Gosford. Just wondering if anybodies been there.

Any info would be great

Rgds

Rich
Hi Rich Cant give you info re Gosford at the moment I'm afraid but I (Barry) fly out on 5th Oct and staying with my Sister in law in Woy woy.( Not far from Gosford - look south on your map) I will
of course be looking at Gosford and will give you some feedback about Gosford and surrounding area.

Barry
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:17 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Hi All

Any info would be great

Rgds

Rich
Spike Milligan's mum lived in Woy Woy.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi Barry

Thanks for the info and have a great time

Rich
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Gosford looks quite nice, I've driven through it a few times on the way to my favourite beach (Avoca Beach). There is a big boating club there. looks like the town has every thing but seems pretty quiet. I might be wrong though. good scenery though.

depends on what you are looking for really.

Mandy

Hi All

Any info would be great

Rgds

Rich
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:37 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Hi All

Any info would be great

Rgds

Rich
Hi, lived in Gosford for 12 months. Not that bad an area. It is somewhat out the way from Sydney but I used to travel there and back every day for the 12 months. The scenery is wonderful along the journey and made the 1 hour on the train enjoyable. Properties are very cheap to buy and rent. Would recommend you rent as there is so many nice places it is best to take it in first. Woy Woy is a nice fishing area, if thats what you enjoy, I did.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Thks Guy's

You are giving me the right answers. I work in IT. Had considered maybe trying something else. But I guess in its going to be the same as the UK. Not easy to change careers without experience.

So I might have to commute into Sydney
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:04 pm
Badge

Erm this is where my family have their businesses. They live in a beach town near there.

Godsford CBD itself not that nice - kind of - but all around Central Coast - Terrigal and Avoca great places to live.

PM me if you want to know more.

badgers

The Central coast is a location noone ever really talks about here on expats. a well kept secret!!

Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Badgers

lets keep it that way. I don't want those house prices getting out of hand
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice

Thks Guy's

You are giving me the right answers. I work in IT. Had considered maybe trying something else. But I guess in its going to be the same as the UK. Not easy to change careers without experience.

So I might have to commute into Sydney
Hi again Rich I reckon I will be doing the same as you mate. Hard to change career at my age ! so will have to commute I suppose. Work in Shipping/Customs clearance so will probably be looking toward the Botany/Mascot areas I suppose for a job (hopefully)

Barry
Old Sep 4th 2003, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We stayed in Gosford for a few days and it had a lot to offer. Basic high street shops. Large Football stadium which was packed out on match nights. A beautiful lake that goes right up almost to the road and nearby beaches. All in all it looked a good place to live.

Loads of Pizza delivery places, Mcdonalds etc! All the mod cons.

We looked at a few estate areas and the land was much more expensive than further North, suppose because it is nearer to Sydney.

We originally looked at living there, but thought the prices were more competitive further North.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:54 pm
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by badgersmount
Erm this is where my family have their businesses. They live in a beach town near there.

Godsford CBD itself not that nice - kind of - but all around Central Coast - Terrigal and Avoca great places to live.

PM me if you want to know more.

badgers

The Central coast is a location noone ever really talks about here on expats. a well kept secret!!

The Central Coast is a weekend getaway and holiday destination for lots of Sydneysiders as its under 2 hours on the freeway Also lots of retirees there also. Lots of people commute to work daily from there to Sydney via train.
Friday night after work is murder getting onto the freeway with everyone wanting to get away for the weekend
Carol

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 1:59 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All

Any info would be great

Rgds

Rich
Hi Have been living on the Central Coast for 2.5 years or so. Moved from Cambridge, UK. Loved the scenery, hated the druggies.
Property is no longer cheap on the Central Coast - beware.
Congestion is a big problem -especially onthe F3 freeway. Train to work is best.
Depending on what you want i.e. McD's etc. they're all there. Personally I misse dthe vilalges that do have a soul.
Gosford has no soul. They're always trying to find out a way to rejuvenate it but until they get rid of the druggies and the methodone clinic then forget it.
Yes I hate druggies but employment, though improving, is a downside. You will most likely have to commute to Sydney or, say Chatswood. It will take about 1.5 hours. The trains comparec to the Uk are great and a lot cheaper.
We found the cost of living on the C. Coast easy compared to the UK where we both worked full time and had to. In Oz I couldnt' get a job on the Coast and didn't want to commute but hubby earned 80k and we didn't want for anything, but then we were not ECONOMIC migrants and I have met many from theUk who are so beware if you are.
It was too muchof a lifestyle change for me and I couldn't handle it. The aussies (not all) are a bit dense in general and a bit childish, but hub says in Sydney wher ehe is an IT bloke it's better as they're not 'cavemen'.
The Central Coast is stunningly beautiful bu tthere are problems with teenagers rampaging the streets, pissed, high or whatever; they do donuts,burnouts and generally make a nuisance of themselves. I've seen this. I've seen a bloke w***ing off in front of me in the middle of the day. I've seen a woman stabbed in front of my eyes. I've seen so much loss of hope in the eyes of the men there and the woman are like 2nd class citizens. Animals are treated like crap. If it's alive in themorning all well and good, if not then bury it or chuck it in the wheely bin. I met some nice people on the central coast but it always amazed me that go about an hour outside Sydney and they were all a bit feral.
If you move from an area like London or a Northern Slum (sorry!) then Oz will seem like paradise. If you are not brain dead then it will annoy you. They are just trying to be Yanks in general. I found their driving mind numbingly boring. They are selfish ontheroad and Iwondered if that's because they have had so much freedom. They are an undisciplined lot. No worries is translated as I can't be bothered. If you don't fit into a certain category they can't get their tiny minds around it.
Just my experience. You'll be fine if you like a house, garden, bog standard life and sun.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:57 pm
Badge

The Central Coast is stunningly beautiful bu tthere are problems with teenagers rampaging the streets, pissed, high or whatever; they do donuts,burnouts and generally make a nuisance of themselves. I've seen this. I've seen a bloke w***ing off in front of me in the middle of the day. I've seen a woman stabbed in front of my eyes. I've seen so much loss of hope in the eyes of the men there and the woman are like 2nd class citizens. Animals are treated like crap. If it's alive in themorning all well and good, if not then bury it or chuck it in the wheely bin. I met some nice people on the central coast but it always amazed me that go about an hour outside Sydney and they were all a bit feral.
If you move from an area like London or a Northern Slum (sorry!) then Oz will seem like paradise. If you are not brain dead then it will annoy you. They are just trying to be Yanks in general. I found their driving mind numbingly boring. They are selfish ontheroad and Iwondered if that's because they have had so much freedom. They are an undisciplined lot. No worries is translated as I can't be bothered. If you don't fit into a certain category they can't get their tiny minds around it.
Just my experience. You'll be fine if you like a house, garden, bog standard life and sun. [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if here you are talking about the Central Coast or Aussie in general.

I love the Central Coast me.

Badge

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
Just my experience. You'll be fine if you like a house, garden, bog standard life and sun.
I'm not sure if here you are talking about the Central Coast or Aussie in general.

I love the Central Coast me.

Badge [/QUOTE]

Nice post badge. You are right about the hour out of Sydney and it all goes feral. I have no idea why the driving is so lunatic. The other thing that baffles me is why they get more lunatic as soon as it is public holiday time.

As soon as the calender tips over to holiday it seems as though everyone has to pull off as though they are at the drag races. I live on a hill with a blind corner at the bottom and idiots just charge down there without a clue. There could be someone pulling out or kids crossing to get to the playground across the road. :lecture:

The central coast is beautiful and it is worth getting the train up to Newcastle for the scenery. I stayed with a friend near lake Macquarie and tried water skiing for the first time. It was amazing.