Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good watering holes in Melbourne: your recommendations, please?

Good watering holes in Melbourne: your recommendations, please?

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 3:17 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Good watering holes in Melbourne: your recommendations, please?

Calling all Melburnians!

Where are the good bars/watering holes for a night's drinking & chatting with friends?

I know it's quite subjective, but I guess my personal definition of a 'good bar' would be:

- Serves decent beer (from *any* country of origin!), or even cider, with a good choice of wine, too.

- Does NOT play canned music so loud that you can't hear yourself think.

- Plenty of seating.

- Non-smoking area, if poss.

- Provides a good range of bar snacks, to soak up the booze

- Bar staff can mix up a mean Long Island Iced tea if asked (IMO, the most difficult cocktail to get right: if they can do this, all others will be OK).

- Friendly, fun atmosphere (ie no bar brawls!).

All recommendations welcome (after the last few weeks of preparing for this move, I'm gonna *need* to get some drinking sessions in when we get there!).

TIA,
Anya.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

have heard there is a belgian beer hall in St kilda road where you can get any type of beer if you like that, also Friday nights in the city at the Hyatt used to be the way to go for cocktails, again it's been a few years since i've been there
happy Drinking
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

belair22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you're looking for more than a boozer - something a little classy than a regular pub.

I suppose its going to depend on where you live/work and what night you want to go out... I'd suggest checking out http://www.clubvibes.com and visit the site dedicated to Melbourne.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:35 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies - some good starting points there.

Will try the Hyatt, and The Spy Cocktail bar in S Melbourne sounded good too.

Now all I have to do is survive this week with the packers/move and just get there....

Cheers!
Anya.