Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good time to move?

Good time to move?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Good time to move?

I am wanting to eventually make the move to oz. My aunt and uncle moved out to Adelaide a few years ago, and I love it.
I am 23, and due to high house prices over here, I have not got a morgauge yet. Therefore, I have no possesions as such, only tv, laptop, dvd, xbox, hi-fi and clothes etc, along with a car, and was thinking it would be easier to move and start out there, then when I had bought a house here etc.
Would it be a sensible option to do that, or maybe wait a few years when I have a house, that I can sell, and maybe have a bit more of an idea about owning property? I was thinking about renting out there for a while, and I can always stay with my relatives for a while.
I am going out there in March, to see where I think I would prefer to move too, am thinking Melbourne.
I know that getting a skilled visa can take a while though, and wondering if it really is the right time to think about moving. Has anyone in my situation done it? Or can anyone shed light on the situation?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:45 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good time to move?

Originally Posted by xzibit
I am wanting to eventually make the move to oz. My aunt and uncle moved out to Adelaide a few years ago, and I love it.
I am 23, and due to high house prices over here, I have not got a morgauge yet. Therefore, I have no possesions as such, only tv, laptop, dvd, xbox, hi-fi and clothes etc, along with a car, and was thinking it would be easier to move and start out there, then when I had bought a house here etc.
Would it be a sensible option to do that, or maybe wait a few years when I have a house, that I can sell, and maybe have a bit more of an idea about owning property? I was thinking about renting out there for a while, and I can always stay with my relatives for a while.
I am going out there in March, to see where I think I would prefer to move too, am thinking Melbourne.
I know that getting a skilled visa can take a while though, and wondering if it really is the right time to think about moving. Has anyone in my situation done it? Or can anyone shed light on the situation?
In hindsight we'd have gone when we were younger if we'd had known we could......
If you buy a property here you would have to wait a few years to make any equity on it....why wait? C x
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shiels
In hindsight we'd have gone when we were younger if we'd had known we could......
If you buy a property here you would have to wait a few years to make any equity on it....why wait? C x
Well I was thinking that the earlier I do it, the less ties I will over here, and the sooner I will be settled. Plus I won't have all the hassle of buying and selling property here, then doing it agan over there.
Hopefully by the time the visa would have come through (2 years?) then, I would have enough for a decent deposit over there too.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have a house here either, still with folks (and I'm 27!!) at the minute but I'm hoping to have my visa at the end of the year and I'm then heading out to Perth with my girlfriend, I know the house prices have rocketed over there but tbh they're no worse than the UK and I'd rather try it in the sun!

If you want it, go for it whilst you have the opportunity as it may not come around again!

Good luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:06 pm
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all

Well I was thinking that the earlier I do it, the less ties I will over here, and the sooner I will be settled. Plus I won't have all the hassle of buying and selling property here, then doing it agan over there.
Hopefully by the time the visa would have come through (2 years?) then, I would have enough for a decent deposit over there too.
I started to think about it 2 years ago. I have my medical on Thursday. I'm 27 in November. I'm single and I live with the rents. With the exception of my friends, Iv got nothing to lose. You can always come back and buy a house at an age that some people would still be renting. I read what you put and it sounds like me when I was thinking about it.

Go for it, you'd be mad not to

Marc.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the replies! I have been thinking about it for the last year. But the only thing that has stopped me is lack of funds really. Now I am in a much better position, and will be in an even better one (hopefully) when the time comes. As I said, I am going over in March '07 to do a "reccie" trip as such, to try and work out where abouts I'd like to move to, as Adelaide is the only place visited so far.
Just out of interest, would a skilled visa be the way to go? I have qualifications as an architectural technician, and a surveyor, so would I just apply for that, and find a job out there? Or need to find a placement first? Surely if you found a job, an employer wouldn't wait 2 years for your visa to come through? So can anyone explain how it works, or possibly give me a link to a site that does?

Many thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:04 am
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies! I have been thinking about it for the last year. But the only thing that has stopped me is lack of funds really. Now I am in a much better position, and will be in an even better one (hopefully) when the time comes. As I said, I am going over in March '07 to do a "reccie" trip as such, to try and work out where abouts I'd like to move to, as Adelaide is the only place visited so far.
Just out of interest, would a skilled visa be the way to go? I have qualifications as an architectural technician, and a surveyor, so would I just apply for that, and find a job out there? Or need to find a placement first? Surely if you found a job, an employer wouldn't wait 2 years for your visa to come through? So can anyone explain how it works, or possibly give me a link to a site that does?

Many thanks
I applied for a skilled visa. I've spoken to 1 company who said that they would want to talk to me once my visa has gone through. Not saying I've got a definite job (or a visa at the moment, ha ha). But I'm saving my ass off to make sure if I dont get a job straight away I can still get by.

I took the points test via an agent. They also told me which visa suited me.

You may find these links helpful :

http://www.australia.org.uk/

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Marc.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marcopolo
I applied for a skilled visa. I've spoken to 1 company who said that they would want to talk to me once my visa has gone through. Not saying I've got a definite job (or a visa at the moment, ha ha). But I'm saving my ass off to make sure if I dont get a job straight away I can still get by.

I took the points test via an agent. They also told me which visa suited me.

You may find these links helpful :

http://www.australia.org.uk/

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Marc.
Ah thankyou, very handy. I see that I can get enough points whatever side of my job I decide to go for. Well, now to decide whether to send of for it now, or in March. If I send it off now, I don't have to disclose where I would want residence do I? Just the type off job I would like to do.