Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good suburbs in caloundra ?? Near beach ?

Good suburbs in caloundra ?? Near beach ?

Old May 7th 2003, 8:09 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Thank you I am glad you liked it, we are hoping to go back and do a this is for real test trip and hunt down and find a place to rent for six months, but just not sure yet.

I have sent you a Private Message.

C x
We are also looking at "the secret place" Went over last Christmas and fell in love with the whole area. Currimundi is lovely properties really nice. Tim went sky diving and landed on Currimundi beach. I was too chicken kept telling him "I've brought the wrong shoes, sorry".
No seriously there are a lot more people thinking about this area now. I was beginning to think that Perth was the place to go as so many people are planning or have gone there recently.
Good luck to you all.
Debs
Old May 7th 2003, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but we too are heading that way.

Will have to arrange a get together when we all arrive.

Pott.
Old May 7th 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It may be sooner than you think -Carrianne?

Good to see other people heading for the same area. We won't know a single soul out there so we will need a few contacts. It won't be long before the kids drive us insane...
Old May 7th 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

hahaha

have not even got there yet and the kids are already driving me insane!!!

Pott.
Old May 7th 2003, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

carey/steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Thank you I am glad you liked it, we are hoping to go back and do a this is for real test trip and hunt down and find a place to rent for six months, but just not sure yet.

I have sent you a Private Message.

C x
Hi there, have sent you a PM
Old May 7th 2003, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We are also going to Caloundra- or close by. We dont really want the sea and when we were out there last year we liked the area. Just hope it doesn't 'boom' too much as it was the peace and lack of tourism that attracted us.
We now have our visa's and are going in mid august with 3 kids- aged 10, 13 & 14
Would love to keep in contact with others that are going

wendy
Old May 8th 2003, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Mountain Creek was one of the biggest boom areas last year. New houses are around the $500,000 but oldies can still be got for $350,000 but not very impressive little dumps.

Mountain Ck may not have many facilities by UK standards, but here it is so popular because its near the highway, local shops, supermarket 2004 and the schools are highly rated. That here is SUPER MEGA facilities.

Houses in walking distance to the schools are snapped up in about 2 minutes despite being complete dumps.

The High School is Brilliant. They have over 2000 kids and Peachy (Mr Peach the Principal walks around with a megaphone yelling at them), this is not bad, but brilliant that he can controll that many kids. The school caters for the widest variety of students from Asian exchange to kids in Wheelchairs. Your kids will do well there as long as they are self motivated as nobody is pushed hard in a school that big.

Primary school has a good reputation too, 1200 kids.

Childcare centre on same block.

Traffic as you can imagine is total complete nightmare, anybody declaring space and freedom in OZ should go down there at chuck out time. (School times are split into shifts to cope with them all but its still Mental.)

Real Buderim (within 2klm of the village is nice leafy but expensive).

Any vacant land on the Coast is hard to get, 200 names was the worst I heard on one block. Developers love it, land is almost treble what it was 3 years ago.

What sort of work are you all looking for?
Old May 8th 2003, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi Dotty thank you very much for that, my hubby is a joiner or carpenter as they say over there, I'm a business analyst of consultant.

I have contacted AV Jennings over there re houses and work who seem very helpful for hubby.

As much info as poss please Dotty, as we don't have a great of money to spend prefer to have an old house if possible adn do it up.

C x
Old May 9th 2003, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Carrianne, I dont think your husband would have any trouble getting work here as a carpenter, as long as hes up on all the qualifications, licenses etc, but you posted about that before, just make sure he gets them all ASAP or wouldnt be employed. Housing boom is still big, but they do mention that the shortage of land could make some downture, However much renovation work in the older houses. Can honestly say if there was one job I would come here with it would be carpentry, bricklaying, but always be qualifiied.

Not so good on the office type jobs, we advertised for admin assistant, got a total of 452 applications! That is not uncommon here. Come October lots of jobs crop up in the hospitality section, waiters, cooks etc, its what many here end up doing as its main employment is in the Tourist Industry, (unless you are a cane farmer!) Sun Coast is a big commuter belt for brisbane tho, if your a Brain Surgeon or something.

Big growth area in houses is Palmwoods. Its a lovely rural type area, just taking off, 15 mins drive to Caloundra and very easy access to the highway. Blocks of land still under the $120,000 and you get a country feel. Has Pub, local shops, school worth a look, if your budget is under the $300 for a house.
Old May 9th 2003, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Oh thank you very much, I may communte if I have to, I can fit into most Office managment type roles, I shall just have to see what come's up.

Hubby is still in work and only became time served about 2 years ago .... I think so his qualifications are still new and he has been doing more. I have the form for him to complete for a licence once we get there.

Thanks again I shall do some research into Palmwoods.
Old May 9th 2003, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Here's a map I found ... http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~...0Caloundra.JPG
Old May 9th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks Stan x