British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   good smelling washing powder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/good-smelling-washing-powder-663333/)

QLDJo Apr 9th 2010 9:08 pm

good smelling washing powder

Hi,
I'm looking for the best brand of washing powder.
I've tried a few. I really miss that fresh washing powder smell on clothes. what about softner? what do you use.
please help, my mum is sick of half the weight in her case being bold each time she comes to visit
thank you

scottishcelts Apr 10th 2010 1:23 am

Re: good smelling washing powder

Originally Posted by QLDJo (Post 8485133)
Hi,
I'm looking for the best brand of washing powder.
I've tried a few. I really miss that fresh washing powder smell on clothes. what about softner? what do you use.
please help, my mum is sick of half the weight in her case being bold each time she comes to visit
thank you

None - they are all shite :blink:

The water is also rubbish, so the combination of both is a disaster really :thumbdown:

I miss Bold as well - and the lovely fresh air smell you got in your clothes back home. Not sure about anywhere else, but here in QLD clothes smell damp if left out too long, and they can't be left in the machine for any lengh of time either after washing. Try using the Aldi softner Anco soft iron easy (2 litre bottle) - the white one seems to be better than the purple :confused::eek:

ALso, add the pink Vanish stain remover to every wash.

ozhappy981 Apr 10th 2010 2:20 am

We use Persil for sensitive skin. Add Vanish Napisan to every wash. And use the blue bottle Cuddly softener.

Clothes are dried outside nearly all year round (not in a dryer).

All our clothes smell lovely and fresh.

But we live in Perth not Queensland, i.e. low humidity.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Apr 10th 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 8485506)
None - they are all shite :blink:

The water is also rubbish, so the combination of both is a disaster really :thumbdown:

I miss Bold as well - and the lovely fresh air smell you got in your clothes back home. Not sure about anywhere else, but here in QLD clothes smell damp if left out too long, and they can't be left in the machine for any lengh of time either after washing. Try using the Aldi softner Anco soft iron easy (2 litre bottle) - the white one seems to be better than the purple :confused::eek:

ALso, add the pink Vanish stain remover to every wash.

Why are all the fabric softeners named after members of the seven dwarves?

Fluffy, Cuddle, Huggie, Bashful, Fleegle, Bingo, and Snorky.... are am I getting a little confused? :)

scottishcelts Apr 10th 2010 2:59 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8485602)
Why are all the fabric softeners named after members of the seven dwarves?

Fluffy, Cuddle, Huggie, Bashful, Fleegle, Bingo, and Snorky.... are am I getting a little confused? :)

:lol:

Kingseat Apr 10th 2010 3:13 am

I use OMO which is supposed to be Persil with a cap of napisan. I also use Woolies conditioner. Have ran out so can't check the name but they are the essential oils ones which remind me of comfort.

Off2Oz Apr 10th 2010 3:39 am

I use Cold Power and Coles own Fabric conditioner. I use the ultra sensitive.

I recently gave some clothes away to our neighbour as they were too small for my dd and apparently one of the children commented how lovely the clothes smelt.

Kooky. Apr 10th 2010 6:56 am

Used Omo (Persil) Sensitive when we first arrived but have switched to Earth Choice. It cleans well and the max temp I use is 30C. I've never used fabric softeners.

(In fact all my household cleaning products are Earth Choice, and they smell great.)

scottishcelts Apr 10th 2010 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 8485862)
Used Omo (Persil) Sensitive when we first arrived but have switched to Earth Choice. It cleans well and the max temp I use is 30C. I've never used fabric softeners.

(In fact all my household cleaning products are Earth Choice, and they smell great.)

Yeah I use Earth Choice cleaning products too - not tried the washing powder yet though. :thumbup:

QLDJo Apr 11th 2010 2:16 am

I haven't tried liquids before but might give it a go.
thanks

Jen1977ni May 3rd 2010 10:16 am

I'd love to know this too, we have some bedclothes which we've yet to use that STILLLLLL smell ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! They were washed before we left the UK in December/January and STILLLL smell FAB! I really miss the lovely smell that those wee Bold Liquitabs left on our clothes, BOO HOO, COME ON AUSTRALIA, CATCH UP!!! LOL :zzz:

(PS Jo we're just down the road from you in Toowoomba, hows Oakey doing, you been there long?!)

scottishcelts May 3rd 2010 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8538703)
I'd love to know this too, we have some bedclothes which we've yet to use that STILLLLLL smell ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! They were washed before we left the UK in December/January and STILLLL smell FAB! I really miss the lovely smell that those wee Bold Liquitabs left on our clothes, BOO HOO, COME ON AUSTRALIA, CATCH UP!!! LOL :zzz:

(PS Jo we're just down the road from you in Toowoomba, hows Oakey doing, you been there long?!)

'Bold' is one of the things I miss the most :o

aglassofwinehelps May 3rd 2010 11:28 pm

Ive made it my mission to find a nice washing powder and fab conditioner. I am currently using Aldi Anco soft ultra Jasmine & Ylang Ylang $2.29 for 500ml. By far the smelliest I have used. I use Cold Power too and always line dry.

Jen - When we unpacked our bedlinen/towels etc after 3 months of being cooped up in the container the 1st thing I noticed too was the gorgeous smell, hmmm:)

LouiseR May 3rd 2010 11:31 pm

We use Duo and Cuddly softner, our washing smells nice!:)

AllGoode May 4th 2010 12:04 am

Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to the rinse. That way you'll come up smelling of gum trees instead of roses.