Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

good service in OZ?

good service in OZ?

Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough
Default good service in OZ?

Do you find the service in shops etc to be better here?
Apologies to any shop assistants out there but...
is it me or are Aussie shop assistants trying a bit too hard? Maybe I have just grown too used to crappy service elsewhere, but I find them a bit too eager...
Examples:
Trying on clothes in fitting rooms...I'm always being ask how the clothes fit...before I've even had chance to get them on! Maybe Aussie customers move quicker (I am aware Cathy Freeman lives locally)?
I often find I am immediately pounced on when I go into a shop...maybe they are genuinely driven by the desire to help...(maybe I just I look like a shop lifter...) but as soon as I actually want to ask a question there is no one in sight! I have actually found the answer is to heartily greet the shop assistants before they get chance to strike, this really throws them.

opps... I think I just became a whinging POM.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: good service in OZ?

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
is it me or are Aussie shop assistants trying a bit too hard? Maybe I have just grown too used to crappy service elsewhere, but I find them a bit too eager...
Examples:
Trying on clothes in fitting rooms...I'm always being ask how the clothes fit...before I've even had chance to get them on! Maybe Aussie customers move quicker (I am aware Cathy Freeman lives locally)?
I often find I am immediately pounced on when I go into a shop...maybe they are genuinely driven by the desire to help...(maybe I just I look like a shop lifter...) but as soon as I actually want to ask a question there is no one in sight! I have actually found the answer is to heartily greet the shop assistants before they get chance to strike, this really throws them.

Nope, I was once in Jeans West, 30 seconds in the changing room and the young girl asked me "how are your Jeans". I personally found it an intrusion of my privacy. I have never, ever had a shop assistant bum rush their way to the changing room door before in the UK. I felt like telling her to **** off, but I did'nt. I personally believe that she was forced to be mega attentative by the management, just as the Wollies checkout chicks are forced to ask "How are you". Embarrasing for both parties and totally unneccasary.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:45 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Nope, I was once in Jeans West, 30 seconds in the changing room and the young girl asked me "how are your Jeans". I personally found it an intrusion of my privacy. I have never, ever had a shop assistant bum rush their way to the changing room door before in the UK. I felt like telling her to **** off, but I did'nt. I personally believe that she was forced to be mega attentative by the management, just as the Wollies checkout chicks are forced to ask "How are you". Embarrasing for both parties and totally unneccasary.
Believe me,the experience of accidently stumbling across you semi-naked would have been much worse for the poor girl then for you. :scared: :scared:

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 10th 2005 at 10:56 pm.

Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wombat42
Believe me,the experience of accidently stumbling across you semi-naked would have been much worse for the poor girl then for you. :scared: :scared:

True.

The sight of a prime piece of British beef, compared to the OZ chipolatas the girl was used to may well of being a major shock to her system.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:17 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by eatstatic
True.

The sight of a prime piece of British beef, compared to the OZ chipolatas the girl was used to may well of being a major shock to her system.
ls'nt British Beef all infested with Mad cow and foot and mouth disease so l doubt your ' prime piece of British Beef ' would be much to look at.

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 10th 2005 at 11:20 pm.

Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wombat42
ls'nt British Beef all infested with Mad cow and foot and mouth disease so l doubt your ' prime piece of British Beef ' would be much to look at.
Your knowledge of Britain and its health issues regarding foodstuffs is remarkable. Please remind me and the forum how many times you have visited Britain. My memory is not the greatest, yet for all your ramblings I do not recall you giving ONE single real life experience of Britain.

BTW I do not eat meat anyway, so throwing BSE at me is as effective as squirting a water pistol at a shark.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:56 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Examples:

I find the service in Australia to be far superior to what I ever experienced in the UK, the difference is huge. I haven't had a single bad experience over here.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:59 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandradee
I find the service in Australia to be far superior to what I ever experienced in the UK, the difference is huge. I haven't had a single bad experience over here.
I have found the service over here fantastic..

Shop assistants who actually want to help you, as opposed to begrudgingly taking your money whilst seriously wishing you hadnt interrupted their conversation with friends.

simple things like smiling..goes a long way
Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Examples:

Well, No one has ever walked in on me in the change rooms. I would much rather have someone smiling and asking if they can help (and looking like they actually mean it) any day.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 12:28 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Superficially service appears to be good. Then when you go to buy something it all goes wrong. I walk out of big w because they had no price label on the item and the qs were huge with only 2 checkout operators working. No one was on the customer service desk.

Someone I work with just had his digital camera repaired under warranty. Canon repaired the issues but then broke the LCD backlight and are refusing to fix it.

I find staff here friendly but I would rather get served than have a conversation. I am not 80 and lonely yet.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

My experience of the last 6 months tells me that customer service in Oz is far better than the UK. These people are doing thier job whether they are over the top or not. I don't mind having a conversation with a shop assistant. It certainly didn't happen with the miserable ba*****s in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bondipom
I am not 80 and lonely yet.

You might be one day with an attitude like that.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hels
You might be one day with an attitude like that.
WTF. If the person serving me gave a monkeys they would be getting on with the job. I am always polite and courteous, I just don't want to talk about the weather when I need something quickly.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

blairwitch is an unknown quantity at this point

I find the best way to deflect them is to wear a walkman, and that way you can ignore them without being rude.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 3:52 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
WTF. If the person serving me gave a monkeys they would be getting on with the job. I am always polite and courteous, I just don't want to talk about the weather when I need something quickly.
I know what you mean about the conversations, but personally I like it, its friendly..

You being polite couteous is a lot more than a number of shop assistants I encountered in the uk (and before any one starts I know not all UK Shop assistants are rude, unhelpful.. just the ones I went to...)

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.