British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   good schools in perth area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/good-schools-perth-area-546034/)

Evelin Dec 6th 2008 3:40 am

Re: good schools in perth area

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7039140)
They don't have to defend it Sam. If they are happy there that is all that matters. To me the TEE results are important and are indicative of the schools teaching performance and I personally have rejected my local state school because the TEE results are appalling. It isn't because I am a snob or think myself better than parents who choose to send their kids there it is because it is my right as a parent to choose the best for MY child. I am sorry if the few comments I made about a particular schools results were taken as a personal slight on parents that send their kids there.

Correct, education of MY child was also the most important thing in my life, something you can't rectify when it is too late.

Schools will always be controversial. In our local rag the front page reads quote:

High rise in truancy
Truancy rates and suspension rates for some public schools in the Rockingham and Kwinana areas are among the worst in the State.

Three high schools have been mentioned. All can be read up on www.det.wa.edu.au and then schools online

Also, this forum is not compulsory reading, it is somebody's choice. The English who I know and migrated to Perth didn't now that it exists.

georginabutcher Dec 8th 2008 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by deborahjane (Post 7034536)
Do you mean year 5 in Primary? Our Son has just finished Year 4 here and he is 9 1/2. Would go in to Year 5 in Feb but we are moving back to UK in 4 weeks time.

No.On the education dept web site it say's that the school my 2 youngest kids are going to is a "level 5" primary.I can't find any info about what this means.It must be good because it is mentioned on the schools own website.

renth Dec 8th 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by georginabutcher (Post 7049368)
No.On the education dept web site it say's that the school my 2 youngest kids are going to is a "level 5" primary.I can't find any info about what this means.It must be good because it is mentioned on the schools own website.

Probably a primary that goes to year 5 only, then the kids go to a middle school, is it Kinross?

hoveactually Dec 9th 2008 2:29 am

Originally Posted by georginabutcher (Post 7049368)

I think it refers to the level (seniority) of the Principal. I believe that Tapping and East Butler both have Level 5 Principals.

deborahjane Dec 9th 2008 4:12 am

How old are your children?

georginabutcher Dec 9th 2008 8:21 pm

The school is Mount Lawley primary,it was recommended to me by my sister who lives in Perth.My kids are 6,9 and 14. My 14yr old has got into Mount Lawley SHS.What school to send them to, was the main thing that was stressing me out.But it's all sorted now.:thumbsup:

deborahjane Dec 9th 2008 10:14 pm

My one Daughter is 14 (15 in Feb) and just finished year 9 and my Son is 9 (10 in June) and just finished year 4 here.

Can't comment on that school as not in that area.

NKSK version 2 Dec 9th 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by georginabutcher (Post 7053347)
The school is Mount Lawley primary,it was recommended to me by my sister who lives in Perth.My kids are 6,9 and 14. My 14yr old has got into Mount Lawley SHS.What school to send them to, was the main thing that was stressing me out.But it's all sorted now.:thumbsup:

Mount Lawley SHS Year 12 results are way below state average.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that they're crap.

If you're child is academic then statistically speaking they have a significantly less than average chance of doing well in Year 12 at Mt Lawley.

northernbird Dec 10th 2008 12:59 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7053869)
Mount Lawley SHS Year 12 results are way below state average.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that they're crap.

If you're child is academic then statistically speaking they have a significantly less than average chance of doing well in Year 12 at Mt Lawley.

My friends daughter was due to go there on the LOTE programme but at the last minute she got her into Chisholm as she had heard so many bad things.

mary1967 Dec 13th 2008 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by gobbyjock (Post 7035209)
Just out of curiousity - did you speak to the school before pulling your daughter out?? What was it you dislike about it?? Just curious as I work at the school.

<<snip>>

As for what's wrong with the school, what's right with it???? Your daughter may like the school, but i guess any teenager would love going to school in hotpants and wearing flipflops.........personally, i prefer a proper uniform and kids that answer their teacher with respect, just call me old fashioned, or better still, a good mum. The descipline at the school is zero, are you blind woman???? If you work there, you must be able to see what it's like. My daughter got the top score in her class in English, she'd been there one week and was one of the youngest in her class..........think that about sums it up. Just go and sit in the public library for an hour - and yes, they do have lessons in the library, if you can call them that. I actually feel sorry for the teachers, because i really do believe they try their best - only problem is, they don't seem to do any teaching, because they're too busy going from one child to another, telling them to shut up and getting loads of abusive back. I also feel sorry for the kids who want to learn, but when the class is constantly being disrupted, how can these kids hope to learn properly?

<<snip>>

I didn't give my reasons to the school, i just moved them, which i believe it's my right to do. To be honest, looking at my kids and their current grades, i don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out why i moved them.

And you know what, it was another English parent who i got friendly with that asked me why i'd sent my kids to the worse school in the region :eek: apparently she said, it was common knowledge what a terrible school it is and she felt it was her duty to WARN ME, because my kids are so nice and i obviously hadn't found out about the school yet.

<<snip>>

northernbird Dec 13th 2008 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 7064622)
<<snip>>

As for what's wrong with the school, what's right with it???? Your daughter may like the school, but i guess any teenager would love going to school in hotpants and wearing flipflops.........personally, i prefer a proper uniform and kids that answer their teacher with respect, just call me old fashioned, or better still, a good mum. The descipline at the school is zero, are you blind woman???? If you work there, you must be able to see what it's like. My daughter got the top score in her class in English, she'd been there one week and was one of the youngest in her class..........think that about sums it up. Just go and sit in the public library for an hour - and yes, they do have lessons in the library, if you can call them that. I actually feel sorry for the teachers, because i really do believe they try their best - only problem is, they don't seem to do any teaching, because they're too busy going from one child to another, telling them to shut up and getting loads of abusive back. I also feel sorry for the kids who want to learn, but when the class is constantly being disrupted, how can these kids hope to learn properly?

<<snip>>

I didn't give my reasons to the school, i just moved them, which i believe it's my right to do. To be honest, looking at my kids and their current grades, i don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out why i moved them.

And you know what, it was another English parent who i got friendly with that asked me why i'd sent my kids to the worse school in the region :eek: apparently she said, it was common knowledge what a terrible school it is and she felt it was her duty to WARN ME, because my kids are so nice and i obviously hadn't found out about the school yet.

<<snip>>

Post stuff on a public forum and I am afraid it is just that, PUBLIC. Anyone could see your comments and gossip about them and I am afraid there is nothing you could do about it.

lilstewie Dec 13th 2008 9:15 pm

<<snip>>

<<snip>>

<<snip>>

Im on here under my husbands log in as I`ve more or less left this site,
<<snip>>
I was never anything more than polite and helpful to you & your husband and family. I have never discussed an individual kids circumstances so get your facts right - you posted on a public forum. If you don`t like the school thats fine, couldn`t care less, If you want to talk about this then please phone me, you should already have my number, so please feel free to call me and discuss this.

Evelin Dec 13th 2008 9:55 pm

Just go and sit in the public library for an hour - and yes, they do have lessons in the library, if you can call them that. I actually feel sorry for the teachers, because i really do believe they try their best - only problem is, they don't seem to do any teaching, because they're too busy going from one child to another, telling them to shut up and getting loads of abusive back. I also feel sorry for the kids who want to learn, but when the class is constantly being disrupted, how can these kids hope to learn properly?

That is exactly what I have observed. I too feel sorry for the teachers who try their best and the children who want to learn.

Lenmil Dec 13th 2008 10:05 pm

OK,
I will remind every one that is an open public forum. Do not post information on here that can be seen and used by others.

This is a web site for helping people with living in different countries. It is not for personal attacks and will not be tollerated.

Please do not post accusations in any way or agressive comments. They will be removed and may result in ban for the poster.

Things can go wrong and people can get very emotional with schools and their kids. I have been in several situations my self here in Oz and NZ and the UK. So please calm down. Any way it's nearly Christmas.

mary1967 Dec 13th 2008 10:19 pm

I didn't say you weren't polite, you were very nice,
<<snip>>
But you're quite right, it is a public forum, so fair comment, i guess it's a lesson to everyone on here and certainly a lesson to me.

I don't like your school, that's my opinion, you obviously do, fine, that's your opinion. I know a few kids that go to this school and they're lovely kids from decent families, I just think it's a shame that they're getting a below standard of education because of the constant disruptions they're faced with from other students. As i said, I also believe wearing a proper uniform sets standards and discipline, which is something this school doesn't enforce. Again my opinion, you may agree or not, and quite frankly, i don't care either.

I'll decline the phone invitation, i think we've both said more than enough.