British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   good schools in perth area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/good-schools-perth-area-546034/)

gobbyjock Dec 4th 2008 2:23 am

Re: good schools in perth area

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 7032520)
I'll certainly name and shame - Warnbro High School.

Took my daughters out after 2 weeks and got them into Maranatha Christian College - it's similar to their UK state school only smaller, but you've got to pay about $4,500 per year, whereas the UK school was free.

Just out of curiousity - did you speak to the school before pulling your daughter out?? What was it you dislike about it?? Just curious as I work at the school.

Cheetah7 Dec 4th 2008 10:58 pm

There are parents on here that send their kids to Warnbro High school that are perfectly happy with the education that their children are receiving and can you imagine how they must feel to read some of the stuff written about it - many of which I suspect has purely been overheard and speculated.

Gobbyjock has said in previous posts that her daughter goes to this school and is doing very well indeed. In fact while I was staying there if my memory serves me, she got at least one letter commending her on her lovely daughter and how well she was doing and Gobbyjock also told me that she received another letter the other week stating the same.

She is positively thriving in this school and her daughter is a pleasure to be around, a confident well rounded little girl who absolutely loves her school and has lots of friends - so what does that say about Warnbro school?

Whilst educational stats are an important guideline, some of the comments are unfair and uncalled for - I cant imagine how that must make some of the parents that might send their kids to that school feel, but I can tell you that if Gobbyjocks daughter is an example of what the school can produce then I for one would love to have a daughter like that. Not only that but Mr PP and I found the other kids very well behaved when we saw them coming out of the school at hometime.

Some of you might well live in your 'Stepford' area with your private schools and feel somewhat smug about looking down on schools like Warnbro, but please do not be so bloody patronising about it because that is really how some of you come across.

hoveactually Dec 5th 2008 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7038357)
There are parents on here that send their kids to Warnbro High school that are perfectly happy with the education that their children are receiving and can you imagine how they must feel to read some of the stuff written about it - many of which I suspect has purely been overheard and speculated.

Gobbyjock has said in previous posts that her daughter goes to this school and is doing very well indeed. In fact while I was staying there if my memory serves me, she got at least one letter commending her on her lovely daughter and how well she was doing and Gobbyjock also told me that she received another letter the other week stating the same.

She is positively thriving in this school and her daughter is a pleasure to be around, a confident well rounded little girl who absolutely loves her school and has lots of friends - so what does that say about Warnbro school?

Whilst educational stats are an important guideline, some of the comments are unfair and uncalled for - I cant imagine how that must make some of the parents that might send their kids to that school feel, but I can tell you that if Gobbyjocks daughter is an example of what the school can produce then I for one would love to have a daughter like that. Not only that but Mr PP and I found the other kids very well behaved when we saw them coming out of the school at hometime.

Some of you might well live in your 'Stepford' area with your private schools and feel somewhat smug about looking down on schools like Warnbro, but please do not be so bloody patronising about it because that is really how some of you come across.

If there are parents on here who are perfectly happy with the education their children are receiving then I imagine that they won't care less what anyone else has to say. They will know, as all parents do, that what suits your child may not necessarily suit another.
As far as I can see the comments made about the school are by parents who have had children there rather than speculation or something that has been overheard.
Whilst it's great that you think that the kids you saw coming out of school were well behaved, personally, I have always taught my children good manners and behaviour - it is not something I would expect them to have to be taught at High school. I want my children to be educated at school and so, whilst being rounded and confident is all very lovely, TEE scores do matter. If wanting all that makes me a smug, patronising Stepford wife so be it, I can live with that.

gobbyjock Dec 5th 2008 2:27 am

Personally I am not getting into a slanging match about schools - I don`t need to Im very happy with my daughters education - each child is an individual with different needs my daughters are being more than met. TEE results/ league tables whilst important may not be the be all & end all the school she attends whilst being low in the TEE tables has excellent T&E, Arts and phys ed programmes. If people are unhappy with their kids education then it is up to them what they decide.

NKSK version 2 Dec 5th 2008 3:28 am

Originally Posted by deborahjane (Post 7032331)

We have been told that TEE results are equal to A levels in the UK.

This is interesting.

I've just had some teaching colleagues in the UK look over the Maths TEE paper. In their opinion it was more at AS level rather than A level.

hoveactually Dec 5th 2008 4:45 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7038894)
This is interesting.

I've just had some teaching colleagues in the UK look over the Maths TEE paper. In their opinion it was more at AS level rather than A level.

So half an A level then?

Cheetah7 Dec 5th 2008 5:05 am

Originally Posted by hoveactually (Post 7038715)
If there are parents on here who are perfectly happy with the education their children are receiving then I imagine that they won't care less what anyone else has to say. They will know, as all parents do, that what suits your child may not necessarily suit another.
As far as I can see the comments made about the school are by parents who have had children there rather than speculation or something that has been overheard.
Whilst it's great that you think that the kids you saw coming out of school were well behaved, personally, I have always taught my children good manners and behaviour - it is not something I would expect them to have to be taught at High school. I want my children to be educated at school and so, whilst being rounded and confident is all very lovely, TEE scores do matter. If wanting all that makes me a smug, patronising Stepford wife so be it, I can live with that.

That is a fair point, I was just pointing out that there are kids at the school doing very well indeed who also feel that Warnbro school is educating their kids well and they probably get tired/upset at having to defend it.:)

Evelin Dec 5th 2008 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7039034)
That is a fair point, I was just pointing out that there are kids at the school doing very well indeed who also feel that Warnbro school is educating their kids well and they probably get tired/upset at having to defend it.:)

just an example. Rossmoyne offers 4 foreign languages (Chinese, Japanese, French and German) whereas Warnbro only Bahasa Indonesia. So far so good.

At the local primary schools students start of with Bahasa Indonesia, Italian or another language. When they come to Warnbro High, the language teacher has no choice but to start all over again, some are bored and others wonder, what for they studied another language and can't continue. Doesn't make sense to me.

northernbird Dec 5th 2008 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7039034)

They don't have to defend it Sam. If they are happy there that is all that matters. To me the TEE results are important and are indicative of the schools teaching performance and I personally have rejected my local state school because the TEE results are appalling. It isn't because I am a snob or think myself better than parents who choose to send their kids there it is because it is my right as a parent to choose the best for MY child. I am sorry if the few comments I made about a particular schools results were taken as a personal slight on parents that send their kids there.

renth Dec 5th 2008 7:00 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7039140)
They don't have to defend it Sam. If they are happy there that is all that matters. To me the TEE results are important and are indicative of the schools teaching performance and I personally have rejected my local state school because the TEE results are appalling. It isn't because I am a snob or think myself better than parents who choose to send their kids there it is because it is my right as a parent to choose the best for MY child. I am sorry if the few comments I made about a particular schools results were taken as a personal slight on parents that send their kids there.

Here here!

NKSK version 2 Dec 5th 2008 7:36 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7039140)

Personally, I think it's great that parents like you are becoming informed about school results and taking action. But bloody hell, it is like pulling teeth trying to become informed...

I've been trying to think of a way which might help prospective British migrants to WA become more informed - I wonder if the owners of this site should set up a sticky thread with some dos and don'ts for parents moving into the state who, understandably are in the dark about 'good' and 'bad' schools...

elaine67 Dec 5th 2008 8:16 am

I can't believe that I have just read all 70 something replies to this thread. I'm riveted!

We (Mum / Dad / 3 kids now aged 8,5 & 4) moved to Perth from Scotland 3 years ago and rented in Claremont for 2 years before buying a house in Shenton Park (next to Subiaco). When we first arrived we tried really hard to rent a place in the northern suburbs because the new housing estates were similar to where we lived in the UK and there were lots of families but the market was too hot (properties leased after 1 hour on the market) and we ended up spending twice as much to rent in Claremont.

My son started the local state school at the begining of Year 1 ( now just about finished Year 3) and I am very happy with the education he is receiving - although I do think the curriculum isn't as challenging as in the UK.
He did very well in the new national tests 'NAPLAN' - and was above the national average for all areas. My only concern is what will happen as he progresses through primary and into senior school. Currently about 80% of his school leave in year 5 to go to private school - leaving less than 20 pupils to make up a combined year 5/6/7. At first I thought fantastic, great to have a small class size but the reality is that you could end up the only boy / girl in your class with no peer group / friends that will continue onto ( a much bigger) senior school.
Also having blown the budget big time to buy in this area - Shenton College catchment - we will not be sending our children to private school. On hearing this most of the other parents appear horrified and hint that I will ruin my childrens' future if I send them to a state school. Even teachers I have spoken to have urged me to send them 'private' to be with liked minded peers who share similar 'values' !!!!
I was raised to believe that a decent education was a right and not a privilege and that you attended your local state school (unless yor parents were royalty or mega rich).

Do you take the chance, keep the cash for your retirement and 'ruin' your children's future or sacrifice every penny for something that you believe you are entilted to as a taxpayer !

Also - sounds like I was lucky school wise not to settle in the northern suburbs. In my opinion all the local primary schools nearby are pretty good with good facilities, staff and very supportive P&C associations.

NKSK version 2 Dec 5th 2008 8:28 am

Originally Posted by elaine67 (Post 7039309)
I can't believe that I have just read all 70 something replies to this thread. I'm riveted!

We (Mum / Dad / 3 kids now aged 8,5 & 4) moved to Perth from Scotland 3 years ago and rented in Claremont for 2 years before buying a house in Shenton Park (next to Subiaco). When we first arrived we tried really hard to rent a place in the northern suburbs because the new housing estates were similar to where we lived in the UK and there were lots of families but the market was too hot (properties leased after 1 hour on the market) and we ended up spending twice as much to rent in Claremont.

My son started the local state school at the begining of Year 1 ( now just about finished Year 3) and I am very happy with the education he is receiving - although I do think the curriculum isn't as challenging as in the UK.
He did very well in the new national tests 'NAPLAN' - and was above the national average for all areas. My only concern is what will happen as he progresses through primary and into senior school. Currently about 80% of his school leave in year 5 to go to private school - leaving less than 20 pupils to make up a combined year 5/6/7. At first I thought fantastic, great to have a small class size but the reality is that you could end up the only boy / girl in your class with no peer group / friends that will continue onto ( a much bigger) senior school.
Also having blown the budget big time to buy in this area - Shenton College catchment - we will not be sending our children to private school. On hearing this most of the other parents appear horrified and hint that I will ruin my childrens' future if I send them to a state school. Even teachers I have spoken to have urged me to send them 'private' to be with liked minded peers who share similar 'values' !!!!
I was raised to believe that a decent education was a right and not a privilege and that you attended your local state school (unless yor parents were royalty or mega rich).

Do you take the chance, keep the cash for your retirement and 'ruin' your children's future or sacrifice every penny for something that you believe you are entilted to as a taxpayer !

Also - sounds like I was lucky school wise not to settle in the northern suburbs. In my opinion all the local primary schools nearby are pretty good with good facilities, staff and very supportive P&C associations.

I think you'll be fine with Shenton College.

NKSK version 2 Dec 5th 2008 8:31 am

Originally Posted by hoveactually (Post 7039014)
So half an A level then?

Yes, although that sounds a bit more negative than reality.

Samleeuk Dec 5th 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by elaine67 (Post 7039309)

We are renting from local WA family, lovely people...they have a 14 year old they are paying for private education due to the father (she is divorced and re-married) insisting state school no good, the daughter has not been doing well at school and grades poor, getting in to trouble also big on boys, (in a strict catholic school) They beleive she would be much better off in a state school for more rounded education and to learn life skills/ common sense , so there are two sides to consider.....