Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

good schools in perth area

good schools in perth area

Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: good schools in perth area

Originally Posted by nowthat
I am not entirely - to put it diplomatically - convinced that (public) primary schools in WA offer decent academic exposure. The emphasis is on something else (child development, self-esteem etc). By other (academic) standards (eg my sister was recently visiting from US and she did offer a comment) this is not satisfactory - my personal opinion.

Selection of secondary school is of paramount importance, a 'sink or swim' situation for any uni hopefuls.

The number of 'worthy' secondary public schools is limited: Shenton, Rossmoyne, Willetton, Churchlands. PM is yet to establish itself as a solid 'player' (pls refer to the school tables)

The talented will have the chance to take advantage of the GATE program - limited enrollment.

The (remaining) naturally gifted kids will hold their own irrespective of the school they attend, what happens to an average student whose family does not reside in the catchment area of reputable high school?
The 2 Belgian children travel to Hale and PM from Hocking and according to my OH plenty of students travel towards Perth on the train in the morning from Mandurah/Rockingham.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

georginabutcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helgaw1965
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.
I feel sick now."sacrificing my childs grammar school education" are the schools really that bad.I saw a quote on aussie move "Researchers into school effectiveness agree that schools account for only about 9% of the variance between students.Students personal backgrounds account for most of the variance in academic performance" My daughter isn't one of those kids who could recite shakespeare immediately after exiting the womb, but works hard and gets extra support at home.So I can see how the research would be true.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

nowthat is an unknown quantity at this point

Evelin
I am afraid that these two cases are not representative since Hale is a top private school for boys and Perth Modern is a selective school for 'gifted and talented' kiddos.

To qualify to attend one has to pay tuition fee (Hale but Perth College, StMarys, StHildas and all other private institutions of learning as well) or qualify via entrance exams (PM and all other 'GATE' schools I mentioned in one of my previous posts) - which are - I am being told - very competitive.

In neither case has a prospective candidate to comply with the 'residence within the catchment area" criterion. The aspect of (long-term) financial capability and academic excellence per se is definitely of limiting nature.

Not to mention the fact that even then the number of places available for those lucky kids of well-to-do parents and geeky brainiacs is LIMITED.

No universal solution I am afraid, just specific cases

Then again, the quality of 'good' public schools is very much reflected in property prices (and rentals alike) in respective 'catchment' areas which often attract many wealthy Asian immigrants. This, in turn, is a contributing factor that a chance exists that kids will stay on course and interested in studying for a bit longer a time than other schools. Asian kids are not disruptive but concentrate on studying, class atmosphere is very important.

Bt,w Rossmoyne is a very nice place to live (my take )
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

nowthat is an unknown quantity at this point

Clarification

One does not to have to reside within the catchment area of the school (Shenton, Rossmoyne, Willetton etc) if enrolment in one of the GATE classes has been secured.

To attend 'standard' programs in these schools, the student has to reside in the intake area.

Perth Modern is 100% (intake) selective school now with no residence but strictly academic criteria being relevant (admissions since 2006 (7?))
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

helgaw1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=nowthat;7011273]I am not entirely - to put it diplomatically - convinced that (public) primary schools in WA offer decent academic exposure. The emphasis is on something else (child development, self-esteem etc). By other (academic) standards (eg my sister was recently visiting from US and she did offer a comment) this is not satisfactory - my personal opinion.

While I agree with what you say about unsatisfactory education standards in Australia, the emphasis on child development in Australian schools has worked in my son's favour since moving here in August. He's only 7, and while he achieved good results in his SATs at his private prep school in England, there was very little emphasis on child development. They 'nodded their head' to it in Reception, but by the time he left his school at the end of year 2 he had very little self confidence, was anxious, and constantly twiddled his fingers. Although his current school doesn't fair well in the league tables, they've succeeded in one very important area with my son, and that's restoring his self confidence. He no longer twiddles his fingers, and the panics attacks have disappeared. I've a lot to thank his current school for in that respect.

We'll be going back to England permanently next July, but my son won't be returning to his old school. I'm hoping by that time, his new found self confidence will serve him well at a different school. In the meantime, he does Kumon (which he loves) here to keep his maths and English on the right track.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

pootash99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found this thread extremely interesting. I am a secondary teacher who grew up SOR in Perth and did my teaching degree at ECU. My entire primary and secondary education was completed in public schools but when I graduated university I ended up working in a Catholic School for 5 years. I then moved to the UK where I have been living in the North East for approx 2 years. In my job now I get to visit and see over 60 schools and there is probably only a very small handful I would want to send my own children to, however, I would have no hesitation sending my children to most of the schools I encountered in Perth. Maybe I am biased but I think the education system in England has just as many if not more problems than Australia?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootash99
I have found this thread extremely interesting. I am a secondary teacher who grew up SOR in Perth and did my teaching degree at ECU. My entire primary and secondary education was completed in public schools but when I graduated university I ended up working in a Catholic School for 5 years. I then moved to the UK where I have been living in the North East for approx 2 years. In my job now I get to visit and see over 60 schools and there is probably only a very small handful I would want to send my own children to, however, I would have no hesitation sending my children to most of the schools I encountered in Perth. Maybe I am biased but I think the education system in England has just as many if not more problems than Australia?
I'd like to chat more!
I think the system in the UK probably does have as many problems - but they are different.
(BTW (and you'll know this) there are a lot of deprived areas in the NE of the UK - with attendant problems.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

pootash99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in a deprived village in which the local primary school would be way above average in it's percentage of students in free school meals but have also experienced some nicer villages. Maybe I am looking mainly from the Pastoral Care perspective and the opportunties made available to them?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:01 am
Just Joined

helgaw1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by georginabutcher
I feel sick now."sacrificing my childs grammar school education" are the schools really that bad.I saw a quote on aussie move "Researchers into school effectiveness agree that schools account for only about 9% of the variance between students.My daughter isn't one of those kids who could recite shakespeare immediately after exiting the womb, but works hard and gets extra support at home.So I can see how the research would be true.
I'm sorry to have made you feel that way, maybe the word 'sacrificing' was a bit harsh.

I mostly agree with the research you quoted, as it's true in the case of mine and my husband's education. We had two very different educational outcomes due to domestic and logistical reasons. Your daughter is fortunate because she works hard and has good support at home which is invaluable. But, she also has the added advantage of being in a very good school at the moment, and finding an equivalent here might be a bit tricky because of waiting lists, fees, catchments etc.

I was talking to my husband on this subject, and for us the issue would be not so much about the quality of another country's education, but more of not wanting to take our child out of a very good school at such an important age unless it was absolutely necessary.

You sound like a very supportive mum, and obviously want the best for your children. Best of luck to you.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was faced with sending my kids to either Carine SHS, Ocean Reef SHS, Padbury SHS or any other of the northern suburbs state high schools I would leave WA - seriously.

I think that it's that important and the situation is that dire.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
If I was faced with sending my kids to either Carine SHS, Ocean Reef SHS, Padbury SHS or any other of the northern suburbs state high schools I would leave WA - seriously.

I think that it's that important and the situation is that dire.
I think we would too. My Mrs still wants to go to either back to the UK or the Sunshine Coast. Thank God that the boy got into a comparatively decent private school in the end. Had he not got in to any of the three schools on the list that would have been it, game over Perth.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

I feel sick now."sacrificing my childs grammar school education" are the schools really that bad.I saw a quote on aussie move "Researchers into school effectiveness agree that schools account for only about 9% of the variance between students.Students personal backgrounds account for most of the variance in academic performance" My daughter isn't one of those kids who could recite shakespeare immediately after exiting the womb, but works hard and gets extra support at home.So I can see how the research would be true.
Hi

Just thought that i would say that as far as I am aware Rossmoyne shs and willetton shs do very well in the league and I know a lot of people who have children in both and are doing very well. My children are in primary school in Willetton and i hope they can go to the secondary schools there.

Just out of interest where in kent do you live and when are you due out to perth
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
If you don't have your child down for Hale or Scotch now then you will never get a place.
Hi all

Would just like to add that I tried and succeeded in getting my son an offer of a place at both Scotch and Christ Church even though I wasnt going to bother as I thought that you had to be on the waiting list for ages which in our case was not true.

We unfortunately did not have a rental secured so had little hope of a agood state school therefore for us the 2 schools above were a no brainer.

Both are very good and my son is doing well at Christ Church.

All I did was go in person to the school and apply, at first they were both a little less than cooperative but when you show them you are serious they were very helpful

Regards

Mick

PS Good luck to all its not easy, been here 4 months already
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

georginabutcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ant & Kev
Hi

Just thought that i would say that as far as I am aware Rossmoyne shs and willetton shs do very well in the league and I know a lot of people who have children in both and are doing very well. My children are in primary school in Willetton and i hope they can go to the secondary schools there.

Just out of interest where in kent do you live and when are you due out to perth
Hi
We live in Welling,Faraday rd just off of Hook lane.We are leaving on 30/12/2008.Getting scared now,its all starting to feel very real.It's OH last day at work next Thursday (OMG).
Where in Bexley did you live?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

Hi
We live in Welling,Faraday rd just off of Hook lane.We are leaving on 30/12/2008.Getting scared now,its all starting to feel very real.It's OH last day at work next Thursday (OMG).
Where in Bexley did you live?
We lived in Murchison Ave, by Hurst Primary and my mum still lives in Sycamore ave, Blackfen. What area will you be settling when you arrive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.