British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   good schools in perth area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/good-schools-perth-area-546034/)

northernbird Nov 25th 2008 12:29 pm

Re: good schools in perth area

Originally Posted by helgaw1965 (Post 7007278)
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.

If you don't have your child down for Hale or Scotch now then you will never get a place.

helgaw1965 Nov 25th 2008 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7007732)
If you don't have your child down for Hale or Scotch now then you will never get a place.

Yes, you're probably right, which makes it all the more depressing.

Kim67 Nov 25th 2008 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7007732)

Never say never......I've heard that about schools that I have secured places for my kids immediately. It's a rule set in place so private schools can discriminate. It is unlikely, unless you're lucky or an old boy, but you won't know unless you try.

helgaw1965 Nov 25th 2008 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7008126)
Never say never......I've heard that about schools that I have secured places for my kids immediately. It's a rule set in place so private schools can discriminate. It is unlikely, unless you're lucky or an old boy, but you won't know unless you try.

Discriminate, lucky, old boy.... it's worse than the snobbery of the OLD British public school system, which has now moved swiftly into the 21st century because it's had to.

renth Nov 25th 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7008126)

Especially the "expensive" private schools, They are a lot easier to get into than the more affordable ones. I got my kids into an "expensive" private school with no wait at all. They only lasted 3 terms though as we thought the school was crap.

NKSK version 2 Nov 25th 2008 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by renth (Post 7009826)
Especially the "expensive" private schools, They are a lot easier to get into than the more affordable ones. I got my kids into an "expensive" private school with no wait at all. They only lasted 3 terms though as we thought the school was crap.

Come on, name and shame - or have you already?

renth Nov 26th 2008 12:02 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7009952)
Come on, name and shame - or have you already?

Wesley College

Kim67 Nov 26th 2008 1:12 am

Originally Posted by helgaw1965 (Post 7009385)
Discriminate, lucky, old boy.... it's worse than the snobbery of the OLD British public school system, which has now moved swiftly into the 21st century because it's had to.

Yep, but that's the reality of it.

Evelin Nov 26th 2008 1:46 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 6528579)
The only state schools that I would consider would be:

1. Shenton College
2. Rossmoyne
3. Willeton
4. Applecross
5. Churchlands

if you get your kids into one of these then there is a high chance of them achieving their potential.

What about Perth Modern?

renth Nov 26th 2008 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 7010177)
What about Perth Modern?

In 2 years time it's going to be 100% selective aimed at the cleverest kids in Perth so you'd better have a very smart kid, it's the only way they'd get in.

nowthat Nov 26th 2008 2:56 am

Perth Modern is 'by-invitation (well, in a way :)) only' school as it now encompasses the aspect of 'gifted education' ONLY.
Your kid would have to sit for an 'entry exam' (GATE - Gifted and Talented Program) and have a VERY good score (competition is VERY keen) to qualify.

They also have GATE (selected) classes in so-called 'good' schools : Shenton COllege and Willetton, (Churchlands?) (academic stream) and Rossmoyne (languages only).

Perth Modern are also big on music (4 hrs a week?)

You have to be VERY careful with the selection of secondary school

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 7010177)
What about Perth Modern?

Evelin Nov 26th 2008 9:40 am

Originally Posted by nowthat (Post 7010312)
Perth Modern is 'by-invitation (well, in a way :)) only' school as it now encompasses the aspect of 'gifted education' ONLY.
Your kid would have to sit for an 'entry exam' (GATE - Gifted and Talented Program) and have a VERY good score (competition is VERY keen) to qualify.

They also have GATE (selected) classes in so-called 'good' schools : Shenton COllege and Willetton, (Churchlands?) (academic stream) and Rossmoyne (languages only).

Perth Modern are also big on music (4 hrs a week?)

You have to be VERY careful with the selection of secondary school

Belgian friends of ours have a son in Modern. He plays two instruments and did the entrance test. The other son is in Hale (primary). The parents are very much into good education.

What do you mean by beeing VERY careful when selecting a secondary school? I have no children in OZ, so my question is for general interest.

nowthat Nov 26th 2008 10:49 am

I am not entirely - to put it diplomatically - convinced that (public) primary schools in WA offer decent academic exposure. The emphasis is on something else (child development, self-esteem etc). By other (academic) standards (eg my sister was recently visiting from US and she did offer a comment) this is not satisfactory - my personal opinion.

Selection of secondary school is of paramount importance, a 'sink or swim' situation for any uni hopefuls.

The number of 'worthy' ;) secondary public schools is limited: Shenton, Rossmoyne, Willetton, Churchlands. PM is yet to establish itself as a solid 'player' (pls refer to the school tables)

The talented will have the chance to take advantage of the GATE program - limited enrollment.

The (remaining) naturally gifted kids will hold their own irrespective of the school they attend, what happens to an average student whose family does not reside in the catchment area of reputable high school?

deborahjane Nov 26th 2008 11:07 am

When we first arrived in Perth my Daughter attended Rossmoyne Senior High and it was always stated as a good state school and was top or close to top in exam tables etc.

We found this to be true and my Daughter received a good standard of education (although still behind the UK) and had good subjects to choose from to study.

We didn't like Rossmoyne itself for a place to live and moved here to Mindarie.

Unfortunately we find the schools to be of poor standard here. I would not recommend Mindarie Senior College or Quinns Baptist. Do not know too much about Irene McCormack but it is a Catholic School.

Our's attended Peter Moyes, a private school here in Mindarie. Discipline is good in the primary part but middle and senior seem to go downhill.

Education is not of a high standard and few take TEE exams in year 12.

I would think you will have a shock at the poor standard of teaching here and the lack of interest the children seem to have in learning. Many drop Maths in year 10 as they are allowed to and not many go on to take TEE exams.

One reason we are going back to the UK is to ensure our children get back the education they were receiving.

Have a good look around and take time to choose as they are many bad schools around.

Still would vote for Rossmoyne if I had to choose a school here.

NKSK version 2 Nov 26th 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by deborahjane (Post 7011327)
When we first arrived in Perth my Daughter attended Rossmoyne Senior High and it was always stated as a good state school and was top or close to top in exam tables etc.

We found this to be true and my Daughter received a good standard of education (although still behind the UK) and had good subjects to choose from to study.

We didn't like Rossmoyne itself for a place to live and moved here to Mindarie.

Unfortunately we find the schools to be of poor standard here. I would not recommend Mindarie Senior College or Quinns Baptist. Do not know too much about Irene McCormack but it is a Catholic School.

Our's attended Peter Moyes, a private school here in Mindarie. Discipline is good in the primary part but middle and senior seem to go downhill.

Education is not of a high standard and few take TEE exams in year 12.

I would think you will have a shock at the poor standard of teaching here and the lack of interest the children seem to have in learning. Many drop Maths in year 10 as they are allowed to and not many go on to take TEE exams.

One reason we are going back to the UK is to ensure our children get back the education they were receiving.

Have a good look around and take time to choose as they are many bad schools around.

Still would vote for Rossmoyne if I had to choose a school here.

Why didn't you like Rossmoyne as an area to live?