British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   good schools in perth area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/good-schools-perth-area-546034/)

georginabutcher Jun 30th 2008 2:29 pm

good schools in perth area
 
My family and I are thinking of moving to perth to be with my family.But schools are a big issue for me.My eldest has just turned 14 and is in a grammar school here in the UK.I have 2 other children in primary school.We would like to know where the good schools are before we relocate.My parents tell me Mindarie is a nice area but don't know about the schools.Can anyone give me some advice?

dor34 Jun 30th 2008 5:35 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
Hi,

My family and I are hope to be in Perth next month....all going well with the sale of our house. We are hoping to go to Quinns Rocks and have been in touch with Quinns Baptiste College, Mindarie College and Irene McCormick Senior School for a place for our eldest daughter who has just turned 15. We have heard back from QBC to say that they should have a place for our daughter when we arrive but have heard nothing from the other 2. I also have a 3yr old girl and a 5 year old girl and we are hoping to put their names down for Quinns Primary and Brighton Catholic Primary. Is your 14 yr old a boy or a girl and are they looking forward to the move? Good luck.:thumbup:

Dor X

tawkins1 Jun 30th 2008 6:53 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by georginabutcher (Post 6518678)
My family and I are thinking of moving to perth to be with my family.But schools are a big issue for me.My eldest has just turned 14 and is in a grammar school here in the UK.I have 2 other children in primary school.We would like to know where the good schools are before we relocate.My parents tell me Mindarie is a nice area but don't know about the schools.Can anyone give me some advice?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Hi & welcome to BE!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Can't help with this post as not in Oz yet but just wanted to say welcome.

We originally were heading to Southern River & enrolled all 3 children into the primary school for that area. We have now changed our minds & are hoping to move NOR to Ellenbrook. Unfortuantley the schools in Ellenbrook cannot enrol you into their schools until you have a permanent address there. I understand why but I just wanna know that my kids can get a place in a school when we arrive (hopefully in November) :confused:

georginabutcher Jul 1st 2008 12:47 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by dor34 (Post 6519356)
Hi,

My family and I are hope to be in Perth next month....all going well with the sale of our house. We are hoping to go to Quinns Rocks and have been in touch with Quinns Baptiste College, Mindarie College and Irene McCormick Senior School for a place for our eldest daughter who has just turned 15. We have heard back from QBC to say that they should have a place for our daughter when we arrive but have heard nothing from the other 2. I also have a 3yr old girl and a 5 year old girl and we are hoping to put their names down for Quinns Primary and Brighton Catholic Primary. Is your 14 yr old a boy or a girl and are they looking forward to the move? Good luck.:thumbup:

Dor X

Hi,my 14 year old is a girl and we haven't told the kids yet as we are still in the pros and cons process.I am finding more pros,but then I would, I have family there.My husband on the other hand is taking longer to decide, which is understandable,although he hates his job it pays really well.So job and schools is our main priority.We are keeping our house in England and renting it out,hoping it will be a good pension for us in the future.So on the money side of things we will be starting again.I hope the move goes well for you, keep in touch and let me know how you get on with the schools out there.

ohippy Jul 1st 2008 1:33 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
Personally, if I had my time all over again, I would head for Willeton, close enough to the CBD, fab state primary and high schools, close to the river.

brickies wife Jul 1st 2008 1:55 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by ohippy (Post 6522481)
Personally, if I had my time all over again, I would head for Willeton, close enough to the CBD, fab state primary and high schools, close to the river.

I would second that.

katieandpaul74 Jul 2nd 2008 6:17 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
Hello,

My family and I are moving to Perth next July/Aug, just after a bit of advice really. We have 2 boys they will be aged 4 and a half and 1 and a half when we move, just wondering when we should start to look for schools for our eldest?? Do they have long waiting lists like here in UK??
Thanks Katie B:)

NKSK version 2 Jul 3rd 2008 2:09 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 
The only state schools that I would consider would be:

1. Shenton College
2. Rossmoyne
3. Willeton
4. Applecross
5. Churchlands

if you get your kids into one of these then there is a high chance of them achieving their potential.

redlion Jul 3rd 2008 2:14 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 6528579)
The only state schools that I would consider would be:

1. Shenton College
2. Rossmoyne
3. Willeton
4. Applecross
5. Churchlands

if you get your kids into one of these then there is a high chance of them achieving their potential.


Agreed, we have been here a year and our daughter (13) goes to rossmoyne, we live in Willetton part of which is within rossmoyne catchment. Great school and littlun loves it:thumbup:

Nev:D

bigmac31 Jul 3rd 2008 12:04 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
Hi we have been in perth for 2 half years now and we used to live in the south (mandurah) and our 2 girls went to a state school called Halls Head. Wasn't to happy with it at all so decided to move north and we live in a place called Butler which is just round the corner from mindarie and quinns. My children now go to St Andrews catholic primary in clarkson and i'm very happy with the school. You pay the price as its $1200 roughly altogether for both girls per year. My oldest has just got into irene mccormak and she starts in 2010. They are very, should i say religion orientated,but it seems very nice. For that school per year for 1 child its $2300 roughly and then you need the uniform and books on top. I've also heard that mindarie college is good as well but not many people have mentioned quinns. In 2010 they are just starting to faze in that primary children are starting to go to secondary school in year 7 where it has been in year 8. If your child goes to a school they might go in year 8 to secondary so be careful which school you choose. One of my friends child is catholic and goes to butler primary and their school goes to year 7 but she has also got into irene mccormak so she has to leave a year early to go to secondary. Irene mccormak has to let in so many none catholic students. Don't forget you have to pay for all the pens, books, and other school items when you start. At the beginning of each year they give you a list with all the items on of what you need and then you take it all into school and the teachers put it all in a storage room and when your child needs something they take it out. This vary's with each school but i think our was $120 for the oldest child and $89 for the younger one. Good luck when you get here and if you need anymore info just ask. nat

georginabutcher Nov 24th 2008 2:48 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
We finally have a date 30/12/2008,this will give the kids time to settle before school starts.Looking at leeming SHS for 14yr old and leeming primary for little ones. Anyone have any views on these schools?:unsure:

renth Nov 24th 2008 10:53 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by bigmac31 (Post 6529653)
but she has also got into irene mccormak so she has to leave a year early to go to secondary. Irene mccormak has to let in so many none catholic students.

According the the link on this excellent thread started by NKSK version 2: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574582

Irene McCormak school has a score of 0% in the top third TEE scores and 77% in the bottom third which to me says "don't send your kids there if you have any desire for them to go to university".

I've not heard anything bad about the school but these stats are pretty damning.

Mindarie College scores pretty low too.

helgaw1965 Nov 25th 2008 10:48 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by georginabutcher (Post 6518678)
My family and I are thinking of moving to perth to be with my family.But schools are a big issue for me.My eldest has just turned 14 and is in a grammar school here in the UK.I have 2 other children in primary school.We would like to know where the good schools are before we relocate.My parents tell me Mindarie is a nice area but don't know about the schools.Can anyone give me some advice?

I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.

sj oldfield Nov 25th 2008 11:27 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by helgaw1965 (Post 7007278)
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.

My youngest went to Kinross College, then up to Mindarie College.....he has done pretty well at both schools!

Funky Monkey Nov 25th 2008 12:03 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by helgaw1965 (Post 7007278)
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.

I have to agree with that. I am concerned about the education here at a secondary level not so much the primary age. If you can hold on and let your eldest finish grammar school then I would but that is just me and I do not know your cirumstances. My friend is a supply teacher and has been here for 2 years (Perth), he often tells me he has taught in far better state schools in the U.K than the "good" private schools here. There are good schools here it is just harder to get the children into, even the private ones have big waiting lists and you still have to be in a position to afford it even though it is cheaper than the U.K by comparison, thanks James:)

northernbird Nov 25th 2008 1:29 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by helgaw1965 (Post 7007278)
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.

If you don't have your child down for Hale or Scotch now then you will never get a place.

helgaw1965 Nov 25th 2008 1:52 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7007732)
If you don't have your child down for Hale or Scotch now then you will never get a place.

Yes, you're probably right, which makes it all the more depressing.

Kim67 Nov 25th 2008 3:26 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7007732)
If you don't have your child down for Hale or Scotch now then you will never get a place.

Never say never......I've heard that about schools that I have secured places for my kids immediately. It's a rule set in place so private schools can discriminate. It is unlikely, unless you're lucky or an old boy, but you won't know unless you try.

helgaw1965 Nov 25th 2008 9:44 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7008126)
Never say never......I've heard that about schools that I have secured places for my kids immediately. It's a rule set in place so private schools can discriminate. It is unlikely, unless you're lucky or an old boy, but you won't know unless you try.

Discriminate, lucky, old boy.... it's worse than the snobbery of the OLD British public school system, which has now moved swiftly into the 21st century because it's had to.

renth Nov 26th 2008 12:05 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7008126)
Never say never......I've heard that about schools that I have secured places for my kids immediately. It's a rule set in place so private schools can discriminate. It is unlikely, unless you're lucky or an old boy, but you won't know unless you try.

Especially the "expensive" private schools, They are a lot easier to get into than the more affordable ones. I got my kids into an "expensive" private school with no wait at all. They only lasted 3 terms though as we thought the school was crap.

NKSK version 2 Nov 26th 2008 12:54 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by renth (Post 7009826)
Especially the "expensive" private schools, They are a lot easier to get into than the more affordable ones. I got my kids into an "expensive" private school with no wait at all. They only lasted 3 terms though as we thought the school was crap.

Come on, name and shame - or have you already?

renth Nov 26th 2008 1:02 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 7009952)
Come on, name and shame - or have you already?

Wesley College

Kim67 Nov 26th 2008 2:12 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by helgaw1965 (Post 7009385)
Discriminate, lucky, old boy.... it's worse than the snobbery of the OLD British public school system, which has now moved swiftly into the 21st century because it's had to.

Yep, but that's the reality of it.

Evelin Nov 26th 2008 2:46 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 6528579)
The only state schools that I would consider would be:

1. Shenton College
2. Rossmoyne
3. Willeton
4. Applecross
5. Churchlands

if you get your kids into one of these then there is a high chance of them achieving their potential.

What about Perth Modern?

renth Nov 26th 2008 3:47 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 7010177)
What about Perth Modern?

In 2 years time it's going to be 100% selective aimed at the cleverest kids in Perth so you'd better have a very smart kid, it's the only way they'd get in.

nowthat Nov 26th 2008 3:56 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 
Perth Modern is 'by-invitation (well, in a way :)) only' school as it now encompasses the aspect of 'gifted education' ONLY.
Your kid would have to sit for an 'entry exam' (GATE - Gifted and Talented Program) and have a VERY good score (competition is VERY keen) to qualify.

They also have GATE (selected) classes in so-called 'good' schools : Shenton COllege and Willetton, (Churchlands?) (academic stream) and Rossmoyne (languages only).

Perth Modern are also big on music (4 hrs a week?)

You have to be VERY careful with the selection of secondary school


Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 7010177)
What about Perth Modern?


Evelin Nov 26th 2008 10:40 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by nowthat (Post 7010312)
Perth Modern is 'by-invitation (well, in a way :)) only' school as it now encompasses the aspect of 'gifted education' ONLY.
Your kid would have to sit for an 'entry exam' (GATE - Gifted and Talented Program) and have a VERY good score (competition is VERY keen) to qualify.

They also have GATE (selected) classes in so-called 'good' schools : Shenton COllege and Willetton, (Churchlands?) (academic stream) and Rossmoyne (languages only).

Perth Modern are also big on music (4 hrs a week?)

You have to be VERY careful with the selection of secondary school

Belgian friends of ours have a son in Modern. He plays two instruments and did the entrance test. The other son is in Hale (primary). The parents are very much into good education.

What do you mean by beeing VERY careful when selecting a secondary school? I have no children in OZ, so my question is for general interest.

nowthat Nov 26th 2008 11:49 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 
I am not entirely - to put it diplomatically - convinced that (public) primary schools in WA offer decent academic exposure. The emphasis is on something else (child development, self-esteem etc). By other (academic) standards (eg my sister was recently visiting from US and she did offer a comment) this is not satisfactory - my personal opinion.

Selection of secondary school is of paramount importance, a 'sink or swim' situation for any uni hopefuls.

The number of 'worthy' ;) secondary public schools is limited: Shenton, Rossmoyne, Willetton, Churchlands. PM is yet to establish itself as a solid 'player' (pls refer to the school tables)

The talented will have the chance to take advantage of the GATE program - limited enrollment.

The (remaining) naturally gifted kids will hold their own irrespective of the school they attend, what happens to an average student whose family does not reside in the catchment area of reputable high school?

deborahjane Nov 26th 2008 12:07 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
When we first arrived in Perth my Daughter attended Rossmoyne Senior High and it was always stated as a good state school and was top or close to top in exam tables etc.

We found this to be true and my Daughter received a good standard of education (although still behind the UK) and had good subjects to choose from to study.

We didn't like Rossmoyne itself for a place to live and moved here to Mindarie.

Unfortunately we find the schools to be of poor standard here. I would not recommend Mindarie Senior College or Quinns Baptist. Do not know too much about Irene McCormack but it is a Catholic School.

Our's attended Peter Moyes, a private school here in Mindarie. Discipline is good in the primary part but middle and senior seem to go downhill.

Education is not of a high standard and few take TEE exams in year 12.

I would think you will have a shock at the poor standard of teaching here and the lack of interest the children seem to have in learning. Many drop Maths in year 10 as they are allowed to and not many go on to take TEE exams.

One reason we are going back to the UK is to ensure our children get back the education they were receiving.

Have a good look around and take time to choose as they are many bad schools around.

Still would vote for Rossmoyne if I had to choose a school here.

NKSK version 2 Nov 26th 2008 12:20 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by deborahjane (Post 7011327)
When we first arrived in Perth my Daughter attended Rossmoyne Senior High and it was always stated as a good state school and was top or close to top in exam tables etc.

We found this to be true and my Daughter received a good standard of education (although still behind the UK) and had good subjects to choose from to study.

We didn't like Rossmoyne itself for a place to live and moved here to Mindarie.

Unfortunately we find the schools to be of poor standard here. I would not recommend Mindarie Senior College or Quinns Baptist. Do not know too much about Irene McCormack but it is a Catholic School.

Our's attended Peter Moyes, a private school here in Mindarie. Discipline is good in the primary part but middle and senior seem to go downhill.

Education is not of a high standard and few take TEE exams in year 12.

I would think you will have a shock at the poor standard of teaching here and the lack of interest the children seem to have in learning. Many drop Maths in year 10 as they are allowed to and not many go on to take TEE exams.

One reason we are going back to the UK is to ensure our children get back the education they were receiving.

Have a good look around and take time to choose as they are many bad schools around.

Still would vote for Rossmoyne if I had to choose a school here.

Why didn't you like Rossmoyne as an area to live?

Evelin Nov 26th 2008 12:40 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by nowthat (Post 7011273)
I am not entirely - to put it diplomatically - convinced that (public) primary schools in WA offer decent academic exposure. The emphasis is on something else (child development, self-esteem etc). By other (academic) standards (eg my sister was recently visiting from US and she did offer a comment) this is not satisfactory - my personal opinion.

Selection of secondary school is of paramount importance, a 'sink or swim' situation for any uni hopefuls.

The number of 'worthy' ;) secondary public schools is limited: Shenton, Rossmoyne, Willetton, Churchlands. PM is yet to establish itself as a solid 'player' (pls refer to the school tables)

The talented will have the chance to take advantage of the GATE program - limited enrollment.

The (remaining) naturally gifted kids will hold their own irrespective of the school they attend, what happens to an average student whose family does not reside in the catchment area of reputable high school?

The 2 Belgian children travel to Hale and PM from Hocking and according to my OH plenty of students travel towards Perth on the train in the morning from Mandurah/Rockingham.

georginabutcher Nov 26th 2008 2:03 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by helgaw1965 (Post 7007278)
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.

I feel sick now."sacrificing my childs grammar school education" are the schools really that bad.I saw a quote on aussie move "Researchers into school effectiveness agree that schools account for only about 9% of the variance between students.Students personal backgrounds account for most of the variance in academic performance" My daughter isn't one of those kids who could recite shakespeare immediately after exiting the womb, but works hard and gets extra support at home.So I can see how the research would be true.

nowthat Nov 26th 2008 2:41 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
Evelin
I am afraid that these two cases are not representative since Hale is a top private school for boys and Perth Modern is a selective school for 'gifted and talented' kiddos.

To qualify to attend one has to pay :ohmy: tuition fee (Hale but Perth College, StMarys, StHildas and all other private institutions of learning as well) or qualify via entrance exams (PM and all other 'GATE' schools I mentioned in one of my previous posts) - which are - I am being told - very competitive.

In neither case has a prospective candidate to comply with the 'residence within the catchment area" criterion. The aspect of (long-term) financial capability and academic excellence per se is definitely of limiting nature.

Not to mention the fact that even then the number of places available for those lucky kids of well-to-do parents and geeky brainiacs ;) is LIMITED.

No universal solution I am afraid, just specific cases

Then again, the quality of 'good' public schools is very much reflected in property prices (and rentals alike) in respective 'catchment' areas which often attract many wealthy Asian immigrants. This, in turn, is a contributing factor that a chance exists that kids will stay on course and interested in studying for a bit longer a time than other schools. Asian kids are not disruptive but concentrate on studying, class atmosphere is very important.

Bt,w Rossmoyne is a very nice place to live (my take :))

nowthat Nov 26th 2008 2:52 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
Clarification :)

One does not to have to reside within the catchment area of the school (Shenton, Rossmoyne, Willetton etc) if enrolment in one of the GATE classes has been secured.

To attend 'standard' programs in these schools, the student has to reside in the intake area.

Perth Modern is 100% (intake) selective school now with no residence but strictly academic criteria being relevant (admissions since 2006 (7?))

helgaw1965 Nov 26th 2008 9:43 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
[QUOTE=nowthat;7011273]I am not entirely - to put it diplomatically - convinced that (public) primary schools in WA offer decent academic exposure. The emphasis is on something else (child development, self-esteem etc). By other (academic) standards (eg my sister was recently visiting from US and she did offer a comment) this is not satisfactory - my personal opinion.

While I agree with what you say about unsatisfactory education standards in Australia, the emphasis on child development in Australian schools has worked in my son's favour since moving here in August. He's only 7, and while he achieved good results in his SATs at his private prep school in England, there was very little emphasis on child development. They 'nodded their head' to it in Reception, but by the time he left his school at the end of year 2 he had very little self confidence, was anxious, and constantly twiddled his fingers. Although his current school doesn't fair well in the league tables, they've succeeded in one very important area with my son, and that's restoring his self confidence. He no longer twiddles his fingers, and the panics attacks have disappeared. I've a lot to thank his current school for in that respect.

We'll be going back to England permanently next July, but my son won't be returning to his old school. I'm hoping by that time, his new found self confidence will serve him well at a different school. In the meantime, he does Kumon (which he loves) here to keep his maths and English on the right track.

pootash99 Nov 26th 2008 10:12 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
I have found this thread extremely interesting. I am a secondary teacher who grew up SOR in Perth and did my teaching degree at ECU. My entire primary and secondary education was completed in public schools but when I graduated university I ended up working in a Catholic School for 5 years. I then moved to the UK where I have been living in the North East for approx 2 years. In my job now I get to visit and see over 60 schools and there is probably only a very small handful I would want to send my own children to, however, I would have no hesitation sending my children to most of the schools I encountered in Perth. Maybe I am biased but I think the education system in England has just as many if not more problems than Australia?

NKSK version 2 Nov 26th 2008 10:52 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by pootash99 (Post 7013483)
I have found this thread extremely interesting. I am a secondary teacher who grew up SOR in Perth and did my teaching degree at ECU. My entire primary and secondary education was completed in public schools but when I graduated university I ended up working in a Catholic School for 5 years. I then moved to the UK where I have been living in the North East for approx 2 years. In my job now I get to visit and see over 60 schools and there is probably only a very small handful I would want to send my own children to, however, I would have no hesitation sending my children to most of the schools I encountered in Perth. Maybe I am biased but I think the education system in England has just as many if not more problems than Australia?

I'd like to chat more!
I think the system in the UK probably does have as many problems - but they are different.
(BTW (and you'll know this) there are a lot of deprived areas in the NE of the UK - with attendant problems.

pootash99 Nov 26th 2008 11:14 pm

Re: good schools in perth area
 
I live in a deprived village in which the local primary school would be way above average in it's percentage of students in free school meals but have also experienced some nicer villages. Maybe I am looking mainly from the Pastoral Care perspective and the opportunties made available to them?

helgaw1965 Nov 27th 2008 3:01 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 

Originally Posted by georginabutcher (Post 7011696)
I feel sick now."sacrificing my childs grammar school education" are the schools really that bad.I saw a quote on aussie move "Researchers into school effectiveness agree that schools account for only about 9% of the variance between students.My daughter isn't one of those kids who could recite shakespeare immediately after exiting the womb, but works hard and gets extra support at home.So I can see how the research would be true.

I'm sorry to have made you feel that way, maybe the word 'sacrificing' was a bit harsh.

I mostly agree with the research you quoted, as it's true in the case of mine and my husband's education. We had two very different educational outcomes due to domestic and logistical reasons. Your daughter is fortunate because she works hard and has good support at home which is invaluable. But, she also has the added advantage of being in a very good school at the moment, and finding an equivalent here might be a bit tricky because of waiting lists, fees, catchments etc.

I was talking to my husband on this subject, and for us the issue would be not so much about the quality of another country's education, but more of not wanting to take our child out of a very good school at such an important age unless it was absolutely necessary.

You sound like a very supportive mum, and obviously want the best for your children. Best of luck to you.

NKSK version 2 Nov 27th 2008 3:52 am

Re: good schools in perth area
 
If I was faced with sending my kids to either Carine SHS, Ocean Reef SHS, Padbury SHS or any other of the northern suburbs state high schools I would leave WA - seriously.

I think that it's that important and the situation is that dire.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.