Reload this Page >

good schools in perth area

good schools in perth area

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:11 am
Just Joined

AussieKidds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: good schools in perth area

Originally Posted by mary1967
In my short experience of being in Perth, i would say the only way to get any school similar to a good UK state school is to go private. We came over and placed our kids in the local state school, within 2 weeks we'd enrolled them in a private school. My advise is, unless you can afford a good private school in Perth, stay in the UK until your kids have got their A levels and are due to go to uni, they can choose where they want to go themselves then................don't forget this is my opinion, others will disagree.
I was also wondering which school they went to previously? You can PM if you'd rather?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

In my short experience of being in Perth, i would say the only way to get any school similar to a good UK state school is to go private. We came over and placed our kids in the local state school, within 2 weeks we'd enrolled them in a private school. My advise is, unless you can afford a good private school in Perth, stay in the UK until your kids have got their A levels and are due to go to uni, they can choose where they want to go themselves then................don't forget this is my opinion, others will disagree.

You were very fortunate that there were places available at the private school. For the year group that I need all the private schools in the area are full with long waiting lists - must tell you something about the state schools in the northern suburbs.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:32 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

We put our three in a private school in the Northern suburbs as the state one's were terrible. Unfortunately not much better although discipline slightly better than the state school but education not as good as the UK.

I agree that if you can I would leave your children in UK schools until they have completed their exams. The private schools here are not like the private schools in the UK. There just aren't enough state school that are any good so you end up paying for private anyway.

We bought our's over here when they were 12, 10 and 4. Now 5 years on we are returning back to the UK. My daughter has completed TEE'S here. Found the choice of subjects and education very boring here compared to the UK and is looking forward to University in the UK.

Glad the other 2 will carry on to take exams in the UK.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Come on everyone, name the schools!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deborahjane
We put our three in a private school in the Northern suburbs as the state one's were terrible. Unfortunately not much better although discipline slightly better than the state school but education not as good as the UK.

I agree that if you can I would leave your children in UK schools until they have completed their exams. The private schools here are not like the private schools in the UK. There just aren't enough state school that are any good so you end up paying for private anyway.

We bought our's over here when they were 12, 10 and 4. Now 5 years on we are returning back to the UK. My daughter has completed TEE'S here. Found the choice of subjects and education very boring here compared to the UK and is looking forward to University in the UK.

Glad the other 2 will carry on to take exams in the UK.
Was there any problem securing a university place in the UK with TEE rather than A levels? as this is something else that I worry about for the future.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Was there any problem securing a university place in the UK with TEE rather than A levels? as this is something else that I worry about for the future.
I'm sure British unis would recognise TEE however the student would have to be an international student and pay the much higher international student fees.

I think you only get to pay domestic fees if you have been living in the UK for 3 years before going to uni.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:39 am
Account Closed

To Hoveactually

We have contacted a place in the UK called the UK Naric which is the national agency responsible for translating results from abroad in to what they are equivalent to in the UK.

We have been told that TEE results are equal to A levels in the UK.

When my Daughter gets her TEE results this month we can then contact them and have them translated for a fee of about 30 GBP.

I know college is free for her as she in 17 this month (under 19's free even if coming back to the UK) but still unsure about University as have been told it will be 3 times higher charges for her as we have lived out of the UK for 5 years.

We are waiting to see what her grades are like and then deciding if she will go to college next September or go in to University. If they are charging a daft price for her to go to university it may be worth her going to college and then on to University when the fees are better. All depends on what the fees are like and what she decides to do.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deborahjane
To Hoveactually

We have contacted a place in the UK called the UK Naric which is the national agency responsible for translating results from abroad in to what they are equivalent to in the UK.

We have been told that TEE results are equal to A levels in the UK.

When my Daughter gets her TEE results this month we can then contact them and have them translated for a fee of about 30 GBP.

I know college is free for her as she in 17 this month (under 19's free even if coming back to the UK) but still unsure about University as have been told it will be 3 times higher charges for her as we have lived out of the UK for 5 years.

We are waiting to see what her grades are like and then deciding if she will go to college next September or go in to University. If they are charging a daft price for her to go to university it may be worth her going to college and then on to University when the fees are better. All depends on what the fees are like and what she decides to do.
Thank you for taking the time to reply - 3 times the fees ouch! Hope it all works out for your daughter whatever she decides to do.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:53 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll certainly name and shame - Warnbro High School.

Took my daughters out after 2 weeks and got them into Maranatha Christian College - it's similar to their UK state school only smaller, but you've got to pay about $4,500 per year, whereas the UK school was free.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I'll certainly name and shame - Warnbro High School.
worst case scenario. Never ever in my life I would let my child go to this school.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

georginabutcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: good schools in perth area

Anyone know what a level 5 primary school is (in WA)?Is that a good thing? What does it mean?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

We havejust moved to Perth 3 weeks ago, and so far so good, just got broadband today, so first time online and back to expats. Our daughter has just started Kindy (is 5 and was in reception in UK) she is at South Coogee Primary and although early days I have found people lovely. Lots of open play area, climbing frames etc etc. Also great teacher, friendly parents. My daughter has been very tearful and everyone has helped. I actually have found kindy much more structured than the UK nursery she was at, lots of fun stuff to do, educational as well....so hopefully will stay that way next year.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Do you mean year 5 in Primary? Our Son has just finished Year 4 here and he is 9 1/2. Would go in to Year 5 in Feb but we are moving back to UK in 4 weeks time.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:44 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Evelin
worst case scenario. Never ever in my life I would let my child go to this school.

Fortunately i found out what it was like quite quickly and moved them - i'm now paying for a similar standard of education that i had free in the UK, but not for long
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately i found out what it was like quite quickly and moved them - i'm now paying for a similar standard of education that i had free in the UK, but not for long
It is s shame that your Australia experience has been as it has. Do you think if you had picked a decent area with decent schools it could have been different. Warnboro High has quite possibly the worst TEE results in Perth and to be honest the school your kids are at now doesn't have that much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.