Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

good schools in perth area

good schools in perth area

Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

georginabutcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default good schools in perth area

My family and I are thinking of moving to perth to be with my family.But schools are a big issue for me.My eldest has just turned 14 and is in a grammar school here in the UK.I have 2 other children in primary school.We would like to know where the good schools are before we relocate.My parents tell me Mindarie is a nice area but don't know about the schools.Can anyone give me some advice?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

dor34 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: good schools in perth area

Hi,

My family and I are hope to be in Perth next month....all going well with the sale of our house. We are hoping to go to Quinns Rocks and have been in touch with Quinns Baptiste College, Mindarie College and Irene McCormick Senior School for a place for our eldest daughter who has just turned 15. We have heard back from QBC to say that they should have a place for our daughter when we arrive but have heard nothing from the other 2. I also have a 3yr old girl and a 5 year old girl and we are hoping to put their names down for Quinns Primary and Brighton Catholic Primary. Is your 14 yr old a boy or a girl and are they looking forward to the move? Good luck.

Dor X
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:53 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by georginabutcher
My family and I are thinking of moving to perth to be with my family.But schools are a big issue for me.My eldest has just turned 14 and is in a grammar school here in the UK.I have 2 other children in primary school.We would like to know where the good schools are before we relocate.My parents tell me Mindarie is a nice area but don't know about the schools.Can anyone give me some advice?
Hi & welcome to BE!
Can't help with this post as not in Oz yet but just wanted to say welcome.

We originally were heading to Southern River & enrolled all 3 children into the primary school for that area. We have now changed our minds & are hoping to move NOR to Ellenbrook. Unfortuantley the schools in Ellenbrook cannot enrol you into their schools until you have a permanent address there. I understand why but I just wanna know that my kids can get a place in a school when we arrive (hopefully in November)
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dor34
Hi,

My family and I are hope to be in Perth next month....all going well with the sale of our house. We are hoping to go to Quinns Rocks and have been in touch with Quinns Baptiste College, Mindarie College and Irene McCormick Senior School for a place for our eldest daughter who has just turned 15. We have heard back from QBC to say that they should have a place for our daughter when we arrive but have heard nothing from the other 2. I also have a 3yr old girl and a 5 year old girl and we are hoping to put their names down for Quinns Primary and Brighton Catholic Primary. Is your 14 yr old a boy or a girl and are they looking forward to the move? Good luck.

Dor X
Hi,my 14 year old is a girl and we haven't told the kids yet as we are still in the pros and cons process.I am finding more pros,but then I would, I have family there.My husband on the other hand is taking longer to decide, which is understandable,although he hates his job it pays really well.So job and schools is our main priority.We are keeping our house in England and renting it out,hoping it will be a good pension for us in the future.So on the money side of things we will be starting again.I hope the move goes well for you, keep in touch and let me know how you get on with the schools out there.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, if I had my time all over again, I would head for Willeton, close enough to the CBD, fab state primary and high schools, close to the river.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Originally Posted by ohippy
Personally, if I had my time all over again, I would head for Willeton, close enough to the CBD, fab state primary and high schools, close to the river.
I would second that.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

katieandpaul74 will become famous soon enough

Hello,

My family and I are moving to Perth next July/Aug, just after a bit of advice really. We have 2 boys they will be aged 4 and a half and 1 and a half when we move, just wondering when we should start to look for schools for our eldest?? Do they have long waiting lists like here in UK??
Thanks Katie B
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

The only state schools that I would consider would be:

1. Shenton College
2. Rossmoyne
3. Willeton
4. Applecross
5. Churchlands

if you get your kids into one of these then there is a high chance of them achieving their potential.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:14 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The only state schools that I would consider would be:

1. Shenton College
2. Rossmoyne
3. Willeton
4. Applecross
5. Churchlands

if you get your kids into one of these then there is a high chance of them achieving their potential.

Agreed, we have been here a year and our daughter (13) goes to rossmoyne, we live in Willetton part of which is within rossmoyne catchment. Great school and littlun loves it

Nev
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

bigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant futurebigmac31 has a brilliant future

Hi we have been in perth for 2 half years now and we used to live in the south (mandurah) and our 2 girls went to a state school called Halls Head. Wasn't to happy with it at all so decided to move north and we live in a place called Butler which is just round the corner from mindarie and quinns. My children now go to St Andrews catholic primary in clarkson and i'm very happy with the school. You pay the price as its $1200 roughly altogether for both girls per year. My oldest has just got into irene mccormak and she starts in 2010. They are very, should i say religion orientated,but it seems very nice. For that school per year for 1 child its $2300 roughly and then you need the uniform and books on top. I've also heard that mindarie college is good as well but not many people have mentioned quinns. In 2010 they are just starting to faze in that primary children are starting to go to secondary school in year 7 where it has been in year 8. If your child goes to a school they might go in year 8 to secondary so be careful which school you choose. One of my friends child is catholic and goes to butler primary and their school goes to year 7 but she has also got into irene mccormak so she has to leave a year early to go to secondary. Irene mccormak has to let in so many none catholic students. Don't forget you have to pay for all the pens, books, and other school items when you start. At the beginning of each year they give you a list with all the items on of what you need and then you take it all into school and the teachers put it all in a storage room and when your child needs something they take it out. This vary's with each school but i think our was $120 for the oldest child and $89 for the younger one. Good luck when you get here and if you need anymore info just ask. nat
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

We finally have a date 30/12/2008,this will give the kids time to settle before school starts.Looking at leeming SHS for 14yr old and leeming primary for little ones. Anyone have any views on these schools?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmac31
but she has also got into irene mccormak so she has to leave a year early to go to secondary. Irene mccormak has to let in so many none catholic students.
According the the link on this excellent thread started by NKSK version 2: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574582

Irene McCormak school has a score of 0% in the top third TEE scores and 77% in the bottom third which to me says "don't send your kids there if you have any desire for them to go to university".

I've not heard anything bad about the school but these stats are pretty damning.

Mindarie College scores pretty low too.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

helgaw1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by georginabutcher
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

Good luck with your move, and I hope it turns out well for you all.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helgaw1965
I'm not sure if I would sacrifice a grammar school education, particularly at an important age as 14 to come to WA. Unless you can secure a place (and there are lengthy waiting lists) at a very good state or private school, then I would seriously think about whether Aus would be a good move. My opinion though.

I moved my 7 year old boy from a private prep school in England to one of the many small fee paying schools SOR. Unfortunately, it doesn't fair well in the league tables, and I've now enrolled him in Kumon and will do extra tuition until we return to England next year. Ideally, we would have liked him to go to one of the good private schools in Perth, like Hale or Scotch, but because of my husband's work (he has to work in an area of need for one year) the city is a bit too far away for my son to go to school there. I tried to get him into a school in my area that faired better in the league tables, but the waiting lists were too long.

My Australian neighbour is very sceptical of the education here, and intends to send her son to one of the private schools in the city.

I don't regret the move here, because it's only for a year, and he and my three year old are having a great time. But if we decide to stay long term in WA, then I'll be putting his name down for one of the aforementioned schools for when he's of high school age, or move nearer to the city after a year.

A british grammar school education, too me, is as good as it gets. I really do hope you can find an equivalant here.

My youngest went to Kinross College, then up to Mindarie College.....he has done pretty well at both schools!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helgaw1965

I have to agree with that. I am concerned about the education here at a secondary level not so much the primary age. If you can hold on and let your eldest finish grammar school then I would but that is just me and I do not know your cirumstances. My friend is a supply teacher and has been here for 2 years (Perth), he often tells me he has taught in far better state schools in the U.K than the "good" private schools here. There are good schools here it is just harder to get the children into, even the private ones have big waiting lists and you still have to be in a position to afford it even though it is cheaper than the U.K by comparison, thanks James

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Nov 25th 2008 at 12:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.