Reload this Page >

Good rural areas in WA

Good rural areas in WA

Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good rural areas in WA

hiya all,
We are looking at a 457 sponsorship to 'rural' WA and we are trying to find info on different parts of rural WA.
Our situation is that the dept of ed in WA can place us any place rural.
We have 3 children (12, 8 and 4) and are looking for info on areas that have facilities for children (such as cinema, shopping malls, leisure centre etc..) as well as being near the coast.
Any suggestions on nice areas that fit these criteria would be greatly recieved.

Thanks all

Lee
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:41 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good rural areas in WA

Originally Posted by leeh36
hiya all,
We are looking at a 457 sponsorship to 'rural' WA and we are trying to find info on different parts of rural WA.
Our situation is that the dept of ed in WA can place us any place rural.
We have 3 children (12, 8 and 4) and are looking for info on areas that have facilities for children (such as cinema, shopping malls, leisure centre etc..) as well as being near the coast.
Any suggestions on nice areas that fit these criteria would be greatly recieved.

Thanks all

Lee
I "think" Mandurah is classed as rural, as is Bunbury and Busselton. They are all fairly close to Perth with the infrastructure you are after. I know there is a teacher (Gems,I think) who is on the Coral Coast (Exmouth/ Canarvon area) - she would probably be able to give you some info.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband quite likes Albany for small town/rural area. He travels there regualrly for work and says it's really pretty.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

patsmec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sme
I "think" Mandurah is classed as rural, as is Bunbury and Busselton. They are all fairly close to Perth with the infrastructure you are after. I know there is a teacher (Gems,I think) who is on the Coral Coast (Exmouth/ Canarvon area) - she would probably be able to give you some info.
Mandurah is def rural, I have been offered a job there and using the rural option to help the Visa along.

Pat
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the great info.
Keep it coming please

Lee
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough

Broome in the Kimberley region, around 15,000 - 20,000 population. Has one of the best beaches in Australia. Around 2,200km North East from Perth

Kalgoorlie. A mining town from the gold rush. Pop is around 30,000 and is still home to the largest open air mine in the world - The Super Pit. It is around 650 km east of Perth
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Australia
Broome in the Kimberley region, around 15,000 - 20,000 population. Has one of the best beaches in Australia. Around 2,200km North East from Perth

Kalgoorlie. A mining town from the gold rush. Pop is around 30,000 and is still home to the largest open air mine in the world - The Super Pit. It is around 650 km east of Perth
Slightly more remote than the likes of Mandurah
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Slightly more remote than the likes of Mandurah
And both places I would think seriously about before raising my children there.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:14 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

Kalgoorlie or Broome? frying pan or fire? Errrrrrrrrrr ill get back to you on that one(but itll take me a while).
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but highly unlikely you will get that close to Perth. Unless of course your in some sort of highly in demand area eg Physics/Maths. But even then still remote.

However you could transfer after your 2years to some place closer to Perth city.

You need info on these sort of places and nearby:
Esperance, Albany,Northam, Kalgoorlie, Majimup,Kattaning,Carnarvon, Geraldton,Karatha, Port Hedland.

Think farming communities, coastal well away from Perth or mining areas like Karatha.

Gems

PS, the sought after areas close to Perth will not have a problem recruiting OZ teachers. Think how many people on here want these areas.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Have pm you with info what I know.

Gems
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

friends of ours are in Northam which is an hour or so out of Perth and for there there visa they had to be there for 2 years, and they love it and wouldnt move nearer to Perth now, kids are well settled and very well balanced, which you see less and less of in big populated area's, well that's my input, PAUL.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Hello, we live in Geraldton at the mo - have been here just over 18 months on a police country placement. We have 6 months to go and have decided to go back to perth then as there are defo more facilities and entertainment for us there.
That said, we did um and ah about it to begin with, we have a 2 and a half year old and a nearly 5 yr old - she is in pre primary at the mo and her school is excellent. In fact, a lot of the schools in Geraldton seem to have a good reputation, private and public, and I was amazed at how many of them there are! We thought about doing all the primary ed here.
The population here is about 35000 and is set to double apparently in the next 5 yrs!! It is a 5 hr (with leg stretch!) drive North of Perth, and has lovely little towns like kalbarri and Dongara a day trip away. We have also been to Monkie Mia seveal times from here which is a nice holiday and easy drive. (we're embarking on a drive to Broome later in the year) All the rellies that have visited us here have enjoyed it here too
There is a cinema, several small shopping centres (inc several good big supermarkets, Target, KMart on the way etc), the beaches here are fantastic, some lovely sheltered ones for the children and a fair few windy surfers beaches! It is very windy!! But nice as it takes the edge off the heat in the summer and gets your washing dry in a flash!!! The temps here are generally the same or 2 degrees warmer than Perth.
As hubby works in the police he sees the down side of Geraldton - 99% of trouble caused by 5% of people as usual. There are a couple of suburbs to aviod but many more very nice ones (we live in Tarcoola Beach - a nice one in a GROH - govt regional officers house). There are lovely parks here with sail shades and all the climbing stuff, swings, free bbqs. In fact there is plenty to do in the good weather. There is not a lot in doors activity though for rainy days - but we haven't had many of those! The winter was really mild, low temps of 20 in the daytime.
Geraldton is classed as a city, and there is plenty of business activity up here, plenty of farming, a mine, and a very busy port. It is a big crayfishing centre (and if you get a permit you can snorkel for your own in season. )Houses on the coast are getting more expensive (but still better than Perth and there are some great land releases which are pretty affordable still. There's a nice winery up here and a good public pool (the aquarena) with indoor and outdoor pools, childrens pool and lap pools - it's excellent there.
Well, as you can tell, I think it's a great place and am happy to recommend it. The people have been very friendly to us and there will definately be freinds we keep in touch with. There are also quite a few poms here (especailly if you're in to the soccer team).
If you need any more specific info, let me know!!

Good luck,

HB
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HugoB
Hello, we live in Geraldton at the mo - have been here just over 18 months on a police country placement. We have 6 months to go and have decided to go back to perth then as there are defo more facilities and entertainment for us there.
That said, we did um and ah about it to begin with, we have a 2 and a half year old and a nearly 5 yr old - she is in pre primary at the mo and her school is excellent. In fact, a lot of the schools in Geraldton seem to have a good reputation, private and public, and I was amazed at how many of them there are! We thought about doing all the primary ed here.
The population here is about 35000 and is set to double apparently in the next 5 yrs!! It is a 5 hr (with leg stretch!) drive North of Perth, and has lovely little towns like kalbarri and Dongara a day trip away. We have also been to Monkie Mia seveal times from here which is a nice holiday and easy drive. (we're embarking on a drive to Broome later in the year) All the rellies that have visited us here have enjoyed it here too
There is a cinema, several small shopping centres (inc several good big supermarkets, Target, KMart on the way etc), the beaches here are fantastic, some lovely sheltered ones for the children and a fair few windy surfers beaches! It is very windy!! But nice as it takes the edge off the heat in the summer and gets your washing dry in a flash!!! The temps here are generally the same or 2 degrees warmer than Perth.
As hubby works in the police he sees the down side of Geraldton - 99% of trouble caused by 5% of people as usual. There are a couple of suburbs to aviod but many more very nice ones (we live in Tarcoola Beach - a nice one in a GROH - govt regional officers house). There are lovely parks here with sail shades and all the climbing stuff, swings, free bbqs. In fact there is plenty to do in the good weather. There is not a lot in doors activity though for rainy days - but we haven't had many of those! The winter was really mild, low temps of 20 in the daytime.
Geraldton is classed as a city, and there is plenty of business activity up here, plenty of farming, a mine, and a very busy port. It is a big crayfishing centre (and if you get a permit you can snorkel for your own in season. )Houses on the coast are getting more expensive (but still better than Perth and there are some great land releases which are pretty affordable still. There's a nice winery up here and a good public pool (the aquarena) with indoor and outdoor pools, childrens pool and lap pools - it's excellent there.
Well, as you can tell, I think it's a great place and am happy to recommend it. The people have been very friendly to us and there will definately be freinds we keep in touch with. There are also quite a few poms here (especailly if you're in to the soccer team).
If you need any more specific info, let me know!!

Good luck,

HB
Just the person! What's your weather forecast for this week then because my son is about to come up there for a week with his soccer academy
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Cloudy, some sunshine, possible thunder storms!! No kidding!! But 29 degrees! Mind you, it's quite a nice novelty to get a bit of rain occasionally and the farmers are hanging out for it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.