British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Good restaurants - Sydney centre (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/good-restaurants-sydney-centre-759875/)

Chortlepuss May 28th 2012 8:46 pm

Good restaurants - Sydney centre

Going to Sydney for a couple of nights for work - staying in Pitt St - anyone recommend a good restaurant not too far away - can't spend $$$. Eat anything - anyone tried Jamie's Italian or the bier house? Or a good recommendation in China Town?:)

slapphead_otool May 28th 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Good restaurants - Sydney centre

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss (Post 10087169)
Going to Sydney for a couple of nights for work - staying in Pitt St - anyone recommend a good restaurant not too far away - can't spend $$$. Eat anything - anyone tried Jamie's Italian or the bier house? Or a good recommendation in China Town?:)

Wow, where to begin.

Jamies is good, but no booking and usually a queue. Worth it though, and the queue is small early in the evening.

Lots of good places in Chinatown, there are also a lot of Korean places around lower Pitt near Bathurst, and then excellent Thai places on Pitt and Goulburn.

Suggestions:

Medan - best Korean (but you have to queue) on Pitt.
chilli Chacha best Thai on Pitt/Goulburn
Home on Sussex great Thai (great queue too)

I will ask my wife for suggestions. She eats her way across the city...

JoeBloggs80 May 28th 2012 11:54 pm

Din Tai Fung - World Square for the finest dumplings money can buy.
Spice I Am - Wentworth Avenue, best thai.
Chophouse - Bligh St does amazing steak but is a tad pricy

carolinephillips May 29th 2012 12:27 am

Try the Rocks too- can't remember the name but there was a really good pizza/Italian place there. Not too expensive.

saveme Jun 2nd 2012 9:03 am

If you don't mind a bit of a walk, get the train to Central, leave at the southern exit onto Chalmers St, and walk up Devonshire St to Crown St - ten minutes. You'll pass a few pubs - Royal Exhibition, Strawberry Hills, Clarendon - now renamed Duck & Olive I think, Shakespeare, Trinity Bar, all with decent kitchens, plus there's a few restaurants and plenty more round the corner onto Crown St, heading back towards the city.

Swerv-o Jun 2nd 2012 2:41 pm

I thoroughly recommend Bistro Papillon, a French restaurant at 98 Clarence Street in the CBD.

The food is truly excellent and the place has a great atmosphere, unlike many of the Sydney CBD eateries :-(

S

quoll Jun 2nd 2012 6:22 pm

Cafe Sydney is pretty good for a special night out

Dzzh Jun 10th 2012 12:22 pm

Great tips, will also try them out soon :)

paddyo Jun 12th 2012 1:32 am

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool (Post 10087358)
Wow, where to begin.

Jamies is good, but no booking and usually a queue. Worth it though, and the queue is small early in the evening.

Lots of good places in Chinatown, there are also a lot of Korean places around lower Pitt near Bathurst, and then excellent Thai places on Pitt and Goulburn.

Suggestions:

Medan - best Korean (but you have to queue) on Pitt.
chilli Chacha best Thai on Pitt/Goulburn
Home on Sussex great Thai (great queue too)

I will ask my wife for suggestions. She eats her way across the city...

Never see you complaining!!!

paddyo Jun 12th 2012 1:35 am

Go to:

Harts Pub near the Rocks, great beer and good food all at decent prices.

Slip Inn down from Town Hall station, great beer and good food all at decent prices.

Dundee Arms along street from Slip Inn, great beer and good food at decent prices.

You may notice a bit of a theme here!! :)

paddyo Jun 12th 2012 1:37 am

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10087443)
Din Tai Fung - World Square for the finest dumplings money can buy.
Spice I Am - Wentworth Avenue, best thai.
Chophouse - Bligh St does amazing steak but is a tad pricy

oooh...might try the Din Tai Fung, all I need to do now is find World Square!!

bcworld Jun 12th 2012 1:54 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 10113722)

Well that's not hard assuming you can look up and find the World Tower!

JoeBloggs80 Jun 12th 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 10113722)

There's also a branch in the Westfield food court....but the original World Square one is a bit better

winky297 Jun 12th 2012 2:12 am

Apetito on George Street nr the Four Seasons hands down best Italian out of Italy we ever had..

Luthien Jun 12th 2012 2:44 am

ChopHouse was great for steak, rib eye on the bone. Extensive wine menu, good reds. Live music on the Sat night. Interior based on a New York steakhouse and apparently it used to be a blue movie cinema :).