Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good Rail Links into CBD Brisbane etc

Good Rail Links into CBD Brisbane etc

Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:08 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Good Rail Links into CBD Brisbane etc

Hi
I don't like asking daft questions but this seems like the place to get some sound advice, from those in the know. I am currently researching areas of Brisbane to move to.

We like brand new houses.
We have a 17 year old daughter who would like to be near to some social life/teen population.
We enjoy fishing in our spare time, so fairly easy access/drive to water.
Good Rail Links into CBD Brisbane for work.
Easy parking near to railway station (for work).
Some retail outlets/shopping nearby.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Debbie
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:37 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Rail Links into CBD Brisbane etc

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Hi
I don't like asking daft questions but this seems like the place to get some sound advice, from those in the know. I am currently researching areas of Brisbane to move to.

We like brand new houses.
We have a 17 year old daughter who would like to be near to some social life/teen population.
We enjoy fishing in our spare time, so fairly easy access/drive to water.
Good Rail Links into CBD Brisbane for work.
Easy parking near to railway station (for work).
Some retail outlets/shopping nearby.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Debbie
North Lakes
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:29 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

North Lakes
Huh????? Good transport links???

I reckon if you want a good train line & some fishing then you should look Bayside. I'm not sure if theres much in the way "new' houses in Wynum, Manly, Birkdale etc etc - but there must be some around there and if you can afford it it'd be a decent place to live.

Slightly cheaper and with more chance of finding newer houses would be somewhere like Alexandra Hills. Its a bit inland (10 minutes drive from coast) and theres no train line but if you want to drive to train station that wouldnt be an issue (or you could throw caution to the wind and attempt a bus). You'd also be closer (<10 minutes) from Carindale for all the shops you could possibly want.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

This will show you the railway stations into Brisbane
http://www.railmaps.com.au/brisbane.htm

Morayfield has quite a bit of new housing but may be too far out. Not sure what teenage life is like there. Other than that, Eatons Hill & Warner have a lot of new houses and you can drive to Strathpine or Bray Park stations although I think parking is an issue at all stations. Carseldine & Aspley also have some areas of new housing and a quicker travel time into Brisbane CBD. Most of the suburbs within a 10k radius of city are older although you will find new houses amongst them.

Sorry, can't really help on Southside although I know Wellington Point/Birkdale/Cleveland is popular with expats and has new housing.

Have a look on www.realestate.com.au too
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:09 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replys, I have added the suggestions to my list to explore a bit further.

I was thinking Kallangur but wasn't sure about the transport links for this area. We currently drive about 15/20 mins to our favourite fishing spot here in NZ.

Debbie
Old Apr 20th 2008, 2:01 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Without wishing to offend anyone (and without any personal anecdotal evidence) - Kallangur has a reputation for being quite a low socio-economic area with many of the problems usually associated with that. You might want to look into that before committing to it!

(Kallangur doesnt *look* so bad driving through it - but it has that 'rep.' )
Old Apr 20th 2008, 2:11 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I reckon if you want a good train line & some fishing then you should look Bayside. I'm not sure if theres much in the way "new' houses in Wynum, Manly, Birkdale etc etc - but there must be some around there and if you can afford it it'd be a decent place to live.

Slightly cheaper and with more chance of finding newer houses would be somewhere like Alexandra Hills. Its a bit inland (10 minutes drive from coast) and theres no train line but if you want to drive to train station that wouldnt be an issue (or you could throw caution to the wind and attempt a bus). You'd also be closer (<10 minutes) from Carindale for all the shops you could possibly want.
There are plenty of new developments going on in Birkdale, Wakerly, Manly West, etc. All within a 5min drive of a railway station with free commuter parking and with plenty of mini shopping malls close by or the likes of Carindale <20mins drive away.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replys, I have added the suggestions to my list to explore a bit further.

I was thinking Kallangur but wasn't sure about the transport links for this area. We currently drive about 15/20 mins to our favourite fishing spot here in NZ.

Debbie
Hi,

Kallangur is a 5 minute or so drive from Petrie Railway Station. Express trains from city stop at Petrie.

There's a new car park just opened at Petrie, but it fills up quickly. Also, buses running through main street in Kallangur go to Petrie Railway Station.

You could drive to Redcliffe Peninsula, 20 minutes, or Shorncliffe, 20 minutes, to go fishing.

Hope this help in some way,

M
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:12 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Thanks everyone - most appreciated.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:30 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

Whats your problem with that suggestion pal?

North Lakes is 5 mins drive from Petrie Station.

Read OP !