Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good places within 30 min commute of Camden??

Good places within 30 min commute of Camden??

Old May 3rd 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Good places within 30 min commute of Camden??

Hey All

Looking for some advice for a friend who has just secured a job at Sydney Uni Camden campus. He has 2 young children and is looking for desirable areas to live, with good schools, within a 30 minute commute to Camden. Wage of around $130000 (wish it was me!!) to give you an idea of income in relation to property.

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good places within 30 min commute of Camden??

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Hey All

Looking for some advice for a friend who has just secured a job at Sydney Uni Camden campus. He has 2 young children and is looking for desirable areas to live, with good schools, within a 30 minute commute to Camden. Wage of around $130000 (wish it was me!!) to give you an idea of income in relation to property.

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
Camden is surrounded by affordable housing. Narellan (just down the road) is wall-to-wall new houses.

A very 'desirable' area close to Camden is Cobbitty which is an expensive, rural area with acreage, large houses, horses, pony clubs, 4WDs and the like...
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

I know camden well, The Oaks, Picton , Menangle are all good, Narellen is a little claustrophobic in terms of housing, cobbity as mentioned is rather exclusive, so too Kirkham, but if I could say one thing about choosing where you want to live...........

Rent or Buy a semi-rural place, the oaks, picton all fit this bill, don't just pick the cheapest place you see, especially with kids.

regards
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
Camden is surrounded by affordable housing. Narellan (just down the road) is wall-to-wall new houses.

A very 'desirable' area close to Camden is Cobbitty which is an expensive, rural area with acreage, large houses, horses, pony clubs, 4WDs and the like...
Thanks NickyC - this is really helpful information! I'll pass it on to my friend.
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by deryans
I know camden well, The Oaks, Picton , Menangle are all good, Narellen is a little claustrophobic in terms of housing, cobbity as mentioned is rather exclusive, so too Kirkham, but if I could say one thing about choosing where you want to live...........

Rent or Buy a semi-rural place, the oaks, picton all fit this bill, don't just pick the cheapest place you see, especially with kids.

regards
Good advice re the renting! Thanks for your help deryans! It's great to get advice from people actually on the ground as it's a bit of a lottery for families from the UK moving out! That's why this site is so great!
Cheers
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Hey All

Any ideas anyone?
Cheers
There's some nice Campbelltown suburbs as well if you want to be closer to suburbia. Glen Alpine is a lovely estate behind Campbelltown around 15 mins drive to Camden. Large houses on large blocks next to a golf course and close to Macarthur Shopping Centre.
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the Southern Highlands (Mittagong, Bowral, Moss Vale, Berrima etc) would be within 30 minutes of Camden so are worth considering. It's traditional weekend-away territory for Sydney-siders but it has some lovely houses with gorgeous large gardens. It's a family-friendly area with plenty of good schools and excellent shopping (for a non-metropolitan area). Can get chilly in winter, though.
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
There's some nice Campbelltown suburbs as well if you want to be closer to suburbia. Glen Alpine is a lovely estate behind Campbelltown around 15 mins drive to Camden. Large houses on large blocks next to a golf course and close to Macarthur Shopping Centre.
Thanks Ginger
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

QUOTE=NickyC;6302211]Also, the Southern Highlands (Mittagong, Bowral, Moss Vale, Berrima etc) would be within 30 minutes of Camden so are worth considering. It's traditional weekend-away territory for Sydney-siders but it has some lovely houses with gorgeous large gardens. It's a family-friendly area with plenty of good schools and excellent shopping (for a non-metropolitan area). Can get chilly in winter, though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Nicky
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

poppyjasper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We're in Mount Annan at the moment, a large estate just outside Narellan. There are also Harrington Park, Elderslie, Bridgewater (Camden South/Park), Currans Hill, Narellan Vale all large-ish estates with new houses going up all the time.
We have been very happy with Mt Annan, kids (12 & 16) have made nice friends, especially the 16yr old and I'm pleased with the school. We have just bought at Kirkham though as we wanted more space (half acre) but for renting when you first arrive I think all of the above would be OK.

Poppy
Old May 4th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poppyjasper
Hi
We're in Mount Annan at the moment, a large estate just outside Narellan. There are also Harrington Park, Elderslie, Bridgewater (Camden South/Park), Currans Hill, Narellan Vale all large-ish estates with new houses going up all the time.
We have been very happy with Mt Annan, kids (12 & 16) have made nice friends, especially the 16yr old and I'm pleased with the school. We have just bought at Kirkham though as we wanted more space (half acre) but for renting when you first arrive I think all of the above would be OK.

Poppy
Thanks Poppy - this info is really helpful and I'll pass it on to my mate! Glad you are happy and settled where you are. Good to know that your 16 year old is settling well. My son will be 16 when we arrive too and I really hope that he makes good friends quickly - I think this is vital in them feeling settled.
Cheers
Mairi