Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Jeremy
You seem pretty knowledgeable, so here's a question for you.

My wife and I have been accepted on a skilled independent visa class 136 (she is a midwife....on the MODL ). I take it this gives or allows immediate permanent residency...........for us both I have been assuming !!

Can you advise if that is so?

cheers
You assume correctly, with a 136 you are permanent residents as soon as you arrive in Australia to live.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:09 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You assume correctly, with a 136 you are permanent residents as soon as you arrive in Australia to live.

Jeremy

Which KILLS me becase that means you can get citizenship 2 years from when you land.

According to DIMIA's timeline (granted it can swing wither way depending...) The earliest I will get citizenship will be January 2009 and the latest January 2010!! That's a grand total of SIX years from when I landed in Oz!

Prospective spouse visa's stink!

Siren
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
Which KILLS me becase that means you can get citizenship 2 years from when you land.

According to DIMIA's timeline (granted it can swing wither way depending...) The earliest I will get citizenship will be January 2009 and the latest January 2010!! That's a grand total of SIX years from when I landed in Oz!

Siren
The things we do for love eh! Must admit I find it annoying too - all that time spent in the country, and paying taxes, and not allowed to count any of it. And yet I would think we are the people most likely to stay in Oz after grant of citizenship.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Siren
When did you land in Australia?

It could be worse, in NZ it's going to be 5 years from PR in the very near future. Although I don't think they have temporary spouse visas - yet.

Watch out for any movement from DIMIA on pushing forward with the citizenship reforms that could mean you be able to count part of your time as a temp resident towards the 2 years. The new Minister hasn't made any specific announcement (something was expected in terms of legislation by mid 2005) but that doesn't mean it's necessarily off the agenda.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2005, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

I am about to go onto a Defacto spouse visa (fingers crossed) and will take all the advice you guys gave. A friend of mine who was on a temp visa did not seem to have a problem. He worked with me for a while and has now moved to a large Aussie press agency.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Merlot,

I sometimes wish I'd never left home and stayed like everyone else has, but now I have, I just have the itchiest feet and have been to Oz about 4 times.

I can't say for sure its where I will permanently end up, but if I didn't go and give it a go, I'd always have regrets.

My mates say all you need is a good woman

I wish you all the best anyway, and at least now you have options!!!!

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hi Brutus

Thanks for that, it is all about working hard and grafting. It makes you realise that nothing is on a plate for you.

Had some darn awful jobs with some very horrible bosses but hey, the last laugh for me. There were times when I wondered why am I getting put through all of this????

I am now back in the UK on a "working holiday" with hubby to enjoy time with my family but have the luxury of an Ozzie passport and will be back over in a few years time.

Once you have lived in both places, very hard to find your true home!

Best of luck
Merlot
Old Jan 20th 2005, 7:57 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by brutus
Merlot,

I sometimes wish I'd never left home and stayed like everyone else has, but now I have, I just have the itchiest feet and have been to Oz about 4 times.

I can't say for sure its where I will permanently end up, but if I didn't go and give it a go, I'd always have regrets.

My mates say all you need is a good woman

I wish you all the best anyway, and at least now you have options!!!!
Hey listen I am a woman and can't settle, maybe I am just a "very bad" woman!!! Life is too short to stuff mushrooms and worry about daft things like money!!

Yep I am very happy I have options too.

All the best
Merlot

Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:00 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
When did you land in Australia?

It could be worse, in NZ it's going to be 5 years from PR in the very near future. Although I don't think they have temporary spouse visas - yet.

Watch out for any movement from DIMIA on pushing forward with the citizenship reforms that could mean you be able to count part of your time as a temp resident towards the 2 years. The new Minister hasn't made any specific announcement (something was expected in terms of legislation by mid 2005) but that doesn't mean it's necessarily off the agenda.

Jeremy
I landed in March 2004, married October 15th and re-applied (Spouse) 2 weeks after. On Dec. 15th we got the acknowledgement and the request for other info to be handed in by beginning of January (which we did.)
Am presently on a bridging visa.
Now I'm told could be July before I get my temp spouses visa (the 2 years starts then) and will recieve a letter 2 mos prior to the 2 year mark requesting more documentation which will then take another potential 6 mos to process after I manage to get it all together (dunno how long that could take - could be days really but lets work on the deadline).... putting me at Dec. 2007 for PR.

Trust me, I'll be watching for ANYTHING going on at DIMIA now that I know somthing's up. Hopefully they'll allow it and then I can claim 3 and a half years as soon as I get my PR.

Citizenship will be extremely advantageous for us as well. Aussie passports will help heaps in the back and forth to Canada travel. Not to mention the plain and simple pride of being Australian!

Siren
Old Jan 20th 2005, 8:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a horribly long processing time - my temp residence took about 3 weeks from application to grant.
One good thing though - the two years runs from date of application - ie late October.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:09 am
JAJ
Retired

I landed in March 2004, married October 15th and re-applied (Spouse) 2 weeks after. On Dec. 15th we got the acknowledgement and the request for other info to be handed in by beginning of January (which we did.)
Am presently on a bridging visa.
Now I'm told could be July before I get my temp spouses visa (the 2 years starts then) and will recieve a letter 2 mos prior to the 2 year mark requesting more documentation which will then take another potential 6 mos to process after I manage to get it all together (dunno how long that could take - could be days really but lets work on the deadline).... putting me at Dec. 2007 for PR.
I've one piece of good news, the 2 years starts when you *apply* for the spouse visa (ie end of October), not when it's granted. This is clearly spelled out in the Migration Regulations.

For the bridging visa, I presume you're aware that if you need to leave Australia, you require a Bridging Visa B (ie you need to make an application).

Processing times vary - there is a myth out there that onshore offices are quicker for spouse visas which is not always the case.

You should already be Medicare eligible now that your application is in the system.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 20th 2005 at 11:12 am.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:43 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Since I arrived here in March of 2004 on a Prospective Spouse Visa (Subclass 300) I have been looking for work on and off.

In the beginning, I was unconcerned with not getting a call back as I was informed that each position was receiving 100+ applicants.

Then, I DID get call backs based on my resume but very quickly into the conversation I was asked "So, where are you from?" and "Why are you here?"
Immediately upon discovering that I was here on a spouses visa, I was given "Well, we've had a lot of applicants and it wouldn't be fair to ask you to come in just yet. We'll shortlist and get back to you."

Then nothing. Now I'm pretty sure that the call I got was because I already WAS shortlisted, then vetoed because of my non-permanent status.

Today, I checked the DIMIA site about work rights and I am, in fact, completely entitled to work in Australia. So I rang DIMIA to clarify a few things and it was NOT what I wanted to hear.

1) Every employer has the right to refuse me work because of my temporary status.

2) It is not classified as discrimination. Nor is it a reason to fast-track my application.

3) My PR may take THREE years to process because of the 6 month bridging visa before I get the temp spouse visa and another 6 month wait at the end of that 2 years to get the PR.

All in all, I am SOL when it comes to getting a job here for the next 3 years. Unless I can find an employer willing to take a chance on me. Without any Australian work experience and my Canadian experience getting further and further behind me.... well, it's not looking that great.

Luckily, I don't NEED work to survive and can afford to stay home with the kiddos but I am pulling my hair out from boredom. The extra income would come in very handy right now as well.

Ok... Rant over.

Siren

Do not worry you are not alone, I am in about the same situ as yourself, having moved to australia July 2003 I have had nothing but casual work, mostly of the labouring variety on and off since i've been here. I have a MSCE in windows NT which was my field of expertise in the UK but over here I have been to lots of IT interviews with people in suits but got little result... Still, I've got another interview tomorrow for a delivery driver job which actually does not sound too bad as it pays around $30 per hour so fingers crossed...
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by NJJ
Do not worry you are not alone, I am in about the same situ as yourself, having moved to australia July 2003 I have had nothing but casual work, mostly of the labouring variety on and off since i've been here. I have a MSCE in windows NT which was my field of expertise in the UK but over here I have been to lots of IT interviews with people in suits but got little result... Still, I've got another interview tomorrow for a delivery driver job which actually does not sound too bad as it pays around $30 per hour so fingers crossed...

Best of luck for tomorrow, NJJ!!

Siren
Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

osx_lover is a jewel in the roughosx_lover is a jewel in the roughosx_lover is a jewel in the roughosx_lover is a jewel in the rough

hmm, thats quite an old thread but... are there any people out there who have just recently received their temp spouse visa and could tell about their experience when looking for a job in aus?

I was wondering..
- did you have difficulties finding a job because of your (temp) visa status?
- which description did you use for the spouse visa in your CV?

Everyone who has already answered in this thread and who had problems finding a job: did your situation improve?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

cat22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I may also be coming on a spouse visa soon. Can anyone tell me how long it actually takes to convert the TR to PR?

Also, does anyone know if there are any teacher shortages around Melbourne? I am a qualified secondary school science teacher.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by cat22
I may also be coming on a spouse visa soon. Can anyone tell me how long it actually takes to convert the TR to PR?

Two years from the date of application for the original visa. DIMIA normally should contact you a few months beforehand - if they don't, contact them.

In certain circumstances (eg death of partner) the permanent visa can be granted earlier. Or in other circumstances if your relationship ends before you get permanent residence, you may have to leave Australia.

Some spouses get permanent residence immediately if they are in a 'long term relationship' at time of application.

All this is explained in the Partner Migration Booklet (a must-read).

If you're a teacher, and don't have a chance of a permanent spouse visa straight away, have you thought about the pros and cons of applying for a skilled visa (including STNI or ENS/RSMS) rather than, or in addition to, a spouse visa?

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.