Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news for those on spouse visa's (NOT!)

Originally Posted by bondipom
You are resident for tax purposes. I put resident on my resume, not temp resident (economical with the truth, not a lie). A lot of jobs ask for citizenship or permanent residency. Government employers do not have much flexibility however the private sector does.
The problem with employers is:
1. They don't understand the idea of work rights on a temporary visa; and
2. They are scared that if something happens to your visa, they'll have to sponsor or re-hire in a critical situation (either way, something they hate).

Although you may be lucky, getting a good job is hard with a temporary visa, unless you've got skills in an area of high demand. Temporary jobs should be less of a problem.

The other thing, which many people don't know, is that if you have a temp spouse visa and are now in a 'long term' spouse relationship (eg if a child has arrived), you can short-cut the 2 year wait for PR by applying for a new spouse visa. This does mean a new application fee, but in many circumstances is worth it. Get professional advice if you think this option may apply to you.

This problem - not being able to find good jobs on a temporary visa - is also something that should concern anyone planning to come to Australia on a 457 visa, where the spouse has got work rights but will find getting a decent job hard due to lack of PR.

Jeremy
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
it may well do - it helped me get mu RACQ job, and my Fire job - at both interviews they said that they did not have time to wait and contact the UK, but would go with the Aussie ones - although RACQ did email a UK one as well. The Fire one had an RACQ name on, but the RACQ one had a good friend, who knows my skills and abilities and could vouch for stuff like reliability and loyalty. I didn't mention whether they were work related, just listed names, job titles, work address/phone./email.

Give it a try - fingers crossed.

Yep, and if you haven't already, put an email address for your referees, not (just) a telephone number.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

JAJ,

I can't understand why companies would hate the idea of sponsorship?
All I've heard is stories of people happily being sponsored by companies again and again. For any normal sized company, I can't imagine this being a big deal, so I'm lost as to why the 'hate' the idea so much.

I can't imagine the culture in Oz to be that radically different from the UK, yet in the UK they'd happily sponsor someone who wanted to stay in this country.

I guess there are negatives out there, but I've yet to hear of a person dumped by their company or that company not offering the person PR status.

That could simply be that I haven't heard of this scenario, and I can only go on what I hear.

B

Originally Posted by JAJ
2. They are scared that if something happens to your visa, they'll have to sponsor or re-hire in a critical situation (either way, something they hate).

Although you may be lucky, getting a good job is hard with a temporary visa, unless you've got skills in an area of high demand. Temporary jobs should be less of a problem.

The other thing, which many people don't know, is that if you have a temp spouse visa and are now in a 'long term' spouse relationship (eg if a child has arrived), you can short-cut the 2 year wait for PR by applying for a new spouse visa. This does mean a new application fee, but in many circumstances is worth it. Get professional advice if you think this option may apply to you.

This problem - not being able to find good jobs on a temporary visa - is also something that should concern anyone planning to come to Australia on a 457 visa, where the spouse has got work rights but will find getting a decent job hard due to lack of PR.

Jeremy
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:25 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can any one help please?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Get some very urgent professional advice. Call IARC and ask for a referral to a competent practitioner local to you:
http://www.iarc.asn.au

Jeremy

Thanks! Will call in the morning.

Siren
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brutus
JAJ,

I can't understand why companies would hate the idea of sponsorship?
All I've heard is stories of people happily being sponsored by companies again and again. For any normal sized company, I can't imagine this being a big deal, so I'm lost as to why the 'hate' the idea so much.
Delay, hassle, paperwork, fees - all things employers hate.

The other reason is that generally they don't *need* to worry about it - just hire the Australian next in line (usually possible unless the occupation is in shortage).

I can't imagine the culture in Oz to be that radically different from the UK, yet in the UK they'd happily sponsor someone who wanted to stay in this country.
Australians in the UK on temporary visas have encountered similar problems.

Jeremy
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
Thanks! Will call in the morning.

Siren
Siren - not sure, but think Jeremy may have been answering Blue mad Manc who has split with his fiance (a few posts back!).......
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Jeremy
You seem pretty knowledgeable, so here's a question for you.

My wife and I have been accepted on a skilled independent visa class 136 (she is a midwife....on the MODL ). I take it this gives or allows immediate permanent residency...........for us both I have been assuming !!

Can you advise if that is so?

cheers
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:52 pm
Merlot

I had to "temp" for 3 years until my PR came through (1 year WHV & 2 as Temp Spouse").

Never had a problem temping as PA/Sec in Sydney as high demand, not many wanting to do the crappie role of dogs body. Gave me 3 years vital Australian experience for my resume though.

They did get me by paying less than my "Australian" colleague in the same type of role whilst a temp!

As soon as PR came through I was sorted, then after another 2 year wait Citizenship and you can tell them to stick their rejections and low wages up their bums!

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reply Merlot, its good to hear positive stories like this.
I'm glad you've managed to be able to get to stay and all the best out there!!!

Originally Posted by Merlot
I had to "temp" for 3 years until my PR came through (1 year WHV & 2 as Temp Spouse").

Never had a problem temping as PA/Sec in Sydney as high demand, not many wanting to do the crappie role of dogs body. Gave me 3 years vital Australian experience for my resume though.

They did get me by paying less than my "Australian" colleague in the same type of role whilst a temp!

As soon as PR came through I was sorted, then after another 2 year wait Citizenship and you can tell them to stick their rejections and low wages up their bums!

Good luck
Merlot
Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:04 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by brutus
Thanks for the reply Merlot, its good to hear positive stories like this.
I'm glad you've managed to be able to get to stay and all the best out there!!!
Hi Brutus

Thanks for that, it is all about working hard and grafting. It makes you realise that nothing is on a plate for you.

Had some darn awful jobs with some very horrible bosses but hey, the last laugh for me. There were times when I wondered why am I getting put through all of this????

I am now back in the UK on a "working holiday" with hubby to enjoy time with my family but have the luxury of an Ozzie passport and will be back over in a few years time.

Once you have lived in both places, very hard to find your true home!

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Jan 19th 2005, 3:10 pm
maggy

Since I arrived here in March of 2004 on a Prospective Spouse Visa (Subclass 300) I have been looking for work on and off.

In the beginning, I was unconcerned with not getting a call back as I was informed that each position was receiving 100+ applicants.

Then, I DID get call backs based on my resume but very quickly into the conversation I was asked "So, where are you from?" and "Why are you here?"
Immediately upon discovering that I was here on a spouses visa, I was given "Well, we've had a lot of applicants and it wouldn't be fair to ask you to come in just yet. We'll shortlist and get back to you."

Then nothing. Now I'm pretty sure that the call I got was because I already WAS shortlisted, then vetoed because of my non-permanent status.

Today, I checked the DIMIA site about work rights and I am, in fact, completely entitled to work in Australia. So I rang DIMIA to clarify a few things and it was NOT what I wanted to hear.

1) Every employer has the right to refuse me work because of my temporary status.

2) It is not classified as discrimination. Nor is it a reason to fast-track my application.

3) My PR may take THREE years to process because of the 6 month bridging visa before I get the temp spouse visa and another 6 month wait at the end of that 2 years to get the PR.

All in all, I am SOL when it comes to getting a job here for the next 3 years. Unless I can find an employer willing to take a chance on me. Without any Australian work experience and my Canadian experience getting further and further behind me.... well, it's not looking that great.

Luckily, I don't NEED work to survive and can afford to stay home with the kiddos but I am pulling my hair out from boredom. The extra income would come in very handy right now as well.

Ok... Rant over.

Siren

we need to go shoe shopping hun lol

You need to chill

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:58 pm
Anna

Peanuts100 is on a distinguished road

Since I arrived here in March of 2004 on a Prospective Spouse Visa (Subclass 300) I have been looking for work on and off.

In the beginning, I was unconcerned with not getting a call back as I was informed that each position was receiving 100+ applicants.

Then, I DID get call backs based on my resume but very quickly into the conversation I was asked "So, where are you from?" and "Why are you here?"
Immediately upon discovering that I was here on a spouses visa, I was given "Well, we've had a lot of applicants and it wouldn't be fair to ask you to come in just yet. We'll shortlist and get back to you."

Then nothing. Now I'm pretty sure that the call I got was because I already WAS shortlisted, then vetoed because of my non-permanent status.

Today, I checked the DIMIA site about work rights and I am, in fact, completely entitled to work in Australia. So I rang DIMIA to clarify a few things and it was NOT what I wanted to hear.

1) Every employer has the right to refuse me work because of my temporary status.

2) It is not classified as discrimination. Nor is it a reason to fast-track my application.

3) My PR may take THREE years to process because of the 6 month bridging visa before I get the temp spouse visa and another 6 month wait at the end of that 2 years to get the PR.

All in all, I am SOL when it comes to getting a job here for the next 3 years. Unless I can find an employer willing to take a chance on me. Without any Australian work experience and my Canadian experience getting further and further behind me.... well, it's not looking that great.

Luckily, I don't NEED work to survive and can afford to stay home with the kiddos but I am pulling my hair out from boredom. The extra income would come in very handy right now as well.

Ok... Rant over.

Siren
Thank you so much for this post!

It has helped me a great deal, as I was naively thinking I would be able to get a job quite easily when I got to Sydney. I have my Sub Class 300 Temp Spouse Visa and I hadn't thought of the implications of this.

So again thank you very much everyone for your advice on resume's, temping etc. At least I will get to Sydney with a realistic view and you never know, I may be pleasantly surprised!!

Anna
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peanuts100
Thank you so much for this post!

It has helped me a great deal, as I was naively thinking I would be able to get a job quite easily when I got to Sydney. I have my Sub Class 300 Temp Spouse Visa and I hadn't thought of the implications of this.

So again thank you very much everyone for your advice on resume's, temping etc. At least I will get to Sydney with a realistic view and you never know, I may be pleasantly surprised!!

Anna
It all depends on your profession.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:16 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Siren - not sure, but think Jeremy may have been answering Blue mad Manc who has split with his fiance (a few posts back!).......

I was just being cheeky Polly....LOL My bad... my sense of humour must be off today (yesterday).

Siren
Old Jan 20th 2005, 12:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I was just being cheeky Polly....LOL My bad... my sense of humour must be off today (yesterday).

Siren
More likely I missed the joke cos I was up too late posting again!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.