Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good news re kids on coaches

Good news re kids on coaches

Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good news re kids on coaches

Well for us anyway.

I wrote the school a pretty blunt letter outlining the fact that i thought that it was pretty appaling that we had to choose to pay for the option of our childs saftey with regard to something so fundamental as seatbelts, They have sent me a note saying that they HAVE managed to source a double decker coach WITH seatbelts

Me and BooBoo have also been harrasing our council, local, state and fedral mp's (you have to feel a bit sorry for them dont'cha ) and are starting to get some responses, all be it as slowly as you would expect.

So have a good complain. After all we are poms, they expect it

*JOKE* (i still aint been called a winging pom yet )
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good news re kids on coaches

Originally Posted by hevs
Well for us anyway.

I wrote the school a pretty blunt letter outlining the fact that i thought that it was pretty appaling that we had to choose to pay for the option of our childs saftey with regard to something so fundamental as seatbelts, They have sent me a note saying that they HAVE managed to source a double decker coach WITH seatbelts

Me and BooBoo have also been harrasing our council, local, state and fedral mp's (you have to feel a bit sorry for them dont'cha ) and are starting to get some responses, all be it as slowly as you would expect.

So have a good complain. After all we are poms, they expect it

*JOKE* (i still aint been called a winging pom yet )

Good on ya gal.

But I am alarmed reading this as I thought all the coaches had seatbelts. My kid's coaches do ( just checked with my eldest)
If they didn't I would be doing the same as you!!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:47 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Well done for you ! as prospective brisbanites with two small kids we were appalled reading your post about being asked to pay more for seatbelts and came to the conclusion we'd drive the kids ourselves if faced with that situation... Well done for kicking up a fuss and well done for getting the result.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:56 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
Good on ya gal.

But I am alarmed reading this as I thought all the coaches had seatbelts. My kid's coaches do ( just checked with my eldest)
If they didn't I would be doing the same as you!!
I think in Brissy its the law. ABC posted a link about it on my last rant

HOWEVER for all Victorians and future Victorians, it is NOT COMPULSORY So please get writting, me and booboo have all the relevant addresses if you want them
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

HOWEVER for all Victorians and future Victorians, it is NOT COMPULSORY So please get writting, me and booboo have all the relevant addresses if you want them
Interesting about Brisbane, unless its changed since February/March, my kids were on buses to swimming with NO belts. Day trip next week, might have to stick my head in the bus and have a look.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 4:38 am
ABCDiamond

Not quite
This was my post..
They were talking about it, but it hasn't happened.

I found this bit of info at : http://www.qls.com.au/default.aspx?pid=1223

"Seat belts have been mandatory for drivers and passengers in cars since 1972 and for all interstate passenger buses built since 1994, yet there is still no requirement for seat belts for children on school buses."
from this thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1601711

However, my daughter told me that she thinks her school bus has seat belts. But she hasn't been on it for a while. However, swimming lessons start again next term, so she can confirm later.

Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:20 am
High in the Dandenongs

Ok, everyone in Brissy get writting to then. Sorry ABC i didn't read it properly
Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:25 am
scoobydoo

Ok, everyone in Brissy get writting to then. Sorry ABC i didn't read it properly

Hevs - good on you and booboo! Could you pm me the address to write to them. Not sure about the buses at the school here but will have a check!

Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

Hi scoobs, good on ya. I decided to post them on here so if anyone else wants to let rip they can

[email protected] (vic parliment)

[email protected] (Australian transport something can't remember!!) But got a great response from them!!

www.doi.vic.gov.au (department of infrastructure)

your member of the lower house of StateParliament is a Labor member, Luke Donnellan. He can be contacted at

[email protected].

It is also worth contacting the opposition, and one of your local upper house members is GordonRich-Phillips. He can be contacted at

[email protected].