Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good News for Perth Rugby Fans

Good News for Perth Rugby Fans

Old Dec 10th 2004, 4:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good News for Perth Rugby Fans

Rugby Union that is, not the "knucklehead" code....

Perth to join Super 14

December 10, 2004

THE Australian Rugby Union (ARU) has announced that Perth has been chosen as the fourth Australian team for the expanded Super 14 rugby competition in the 2006 season.

Perth beat Melbourne in a vote among ARU board members.

Perth joins Australia's three teams in the current Super 12 competition – ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds.

The Perth bid emphasised the city's location on Australia's west coast as a stopping off point for Super 14 teams from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Their application was supported by a $25 million government-backed upgrade of its planned home ground and public support from Wallabies captain George Gregan.

Based on submissions provided by Rugby WA, the team will be located in Perth, playing matches at Subiaco Oval in its first year and Members Equity Stadium from 2007.

ARU chairman Bob Tuckey paid tribute to both the Victorian and the Western Australian rugby unions and their respective state governments, for their outstanding submissions.

"This is an historic day for rugby in Australia," Mr Tuckey said.

"The Board is unanimous in its view that a Super 14 team based in Perth will be an enormous success and will make an enduring contribution to Australian rugby," Mr Tuckey said.

"The Board was faced with an extremely complex decision based on detailed analysis of two compelling bids. Each had great merit but only one could be chosen on this occasion. We are conscious that while this is an exciting and historic day for rugby, inevitably there will be some disappointment."

ARU Managing Director Gary Flowers emphasised that no single criterion determined the outcome, but rather the submissions were judged across a range of criteria that led to the ARU Board forming a view.

"Just as I urge Western Australians to now embrace this opportunity, equally I urge the Victorian rugby community to continue the work which has seen rugby thrive in their state."

A management team will shortly be appointed with its first task to employ a chief executive.

The management team will consist of representatives of both the Rugby WA and the ARU.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 4:51 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good News for Perth Rugby Fans

Congrats to Perth, I would have spported it in Melbourne but with AFL here & huge crowds they get I'm sure the new Super 14 team will be better supported in Perth.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:03 am
Badge

indeed.

I'm a bit disappointed, Victorians would go and see them I reckon, but it will be better for the players, as they can rest there before going on to SA.

It also means I can continue to support the Tahs without distractions.

BM

Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Who got the 13th spot?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:12 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Who got the 13th spot?
I think the South Africans got the 13th spot and there currently going through a similar process to finalise the exact team/location etc.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:48 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by renth
Rugby Union that is, not the "knucklehead" code....

Perth to join Super 14

December 10, 2004

THE Australian Rugby Union (ARU) has announced that Perth has been chosen as the fourth Australian team for the expanded Super 14 rugby competition in the 2006 season.

Perth beat Melbourne in a vote among ARU board members.

Perth joins Australia's three teams in the current Super 12 competition – ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds.

The Perth bid emphasised the city's location on Australia's west coast as a stopping off point for Super 14 teams from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Their application was supported by a $25 million government-backed upgrade of its planned home ground and public support from Wallabies captain George Gregan.

Based on submissions provided by Rugby WA, the team will be located in Perth, playing matches at Subiaco Oval in its first year and Members Equity Stadium from 2007.

ARU chairman Bob Tuckey paid tribute to both the Victorian and the Western Australian rugby unions and their respective state governments, for their outstanding submissions.

"This is an historic day for rugby in Australia," Mr Tuckey said.

"The Board is unanimous in its view that a Super 14 team based in Perth will be an enormous success and will make an enduring contribution to Australian rugby," Mr Tuckey said.

"The Board was faced with an extremely complex decision based on detailed analysis of two compelling bids. Each had great merit but only one could be chosen on this occasion. We are conscious that while this is an exciting and historic day for rugby, inevitably there will be some disappointment."

ARU Managing Director Gary Flowers emphasised that no single criterion determined the outcome, but rather the submissions were judged across a range of criteria that led to the ARU Board forming a view.

"Just as I urge Western Australians to now embrace this opportunity, equally I urge the Victorian rugby community to continue the work which has seen rugby thrive in their state."

A management team will shortly be appointed with its first task to employ a chief executive.

The management team will consist of representatives of both the Rugby WA and the ARU.
Is it? What a SAD day indeed!

As for your 'Knucklehead' remarks? Well you are obviously very happy to watch 15 obese toffs booting the ball evry 5 seconds into the crowd, well you can have it!

BRING BACK THE TRUE RUGBY CODE OF LEAGUE WHERE IT BELONGS!

Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Is it? What a SAD day indeed!

As for your 'Knucklehead' remarks? Well you are obviously very happy to watch 15 obese toffs booting the ball evry 5 seconds into the crowd, well you can have it!

BRING BACK THE TRUE RUGBY CODE OF LEAGUE WHERE IT BELONGS!
I perefer AFL
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:56 am
(It's not my real name)

Two words Willie Mason, he pretty much sums up league.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:57 am
PommieLeague

I perefer AFL
So why promote a rival code then?

Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:58 am
(It's not my real name)

So why promote a rival code then?
To wind people like you up
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:01 am
PommieLeague

Two words Willie Mason, he pretty much sums up league.
And thats why the ARU are after him? Get real. You dont like a game which has working class roots to be the sport for the masses do you, so you, and the other anti-League trolls continue to knock it?
A sport from an evil, greedy and vicious background like rugby union is fooling the public into the being theres only one rugby code.
Well bad news for the union fans out there, League will return to Perth, mark my words.

Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:02 am
(It's not my real name)

And thats why the ARU are after him? Get real. You dont like a game which has working class roots to be the sport for the masses do you, so you, and the other anti-League trolls continue to knock it?
A sport from an evil, greedy and vicious background like rugby union is fooling the public into the being theres only one rugby code.
Well bad news for the union fans out there, League will return to Perth, mark my words.
Is this something you feel strongly about?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:02 am
PommieLeague

To wind people like you up
Yeah well cheers mate, after a sh1te day ive had.....

Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah well cheers mate, after a sh1te day ive had.....
Are you going to pick up your ball & go home in the huff?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:51 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Bordy
Are you going to pick up your ball & go home in the huff?
No mate in my sport, we pick up the ball, run with it and score tries, something rare in yawnion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.