Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Good experience with the Commonwealth Bank

A Good experience with the Commonwealth Bank

Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:48 pm
Go Banana's !!

Thumbs up A Good experience with the Commonwealth Bank

......Well so far anyway !

Just thought I'd share with you our experiences of setting up the bank account ready for our trip next week.....

After doing all the research on here with HSBC vs CBof A we plumped for the latter mainly because of:

a) the number of ATM's available in Perth when compared to others
b)the number of branches - and a local one very close to where we will be living
c)recommendatiion from my cousins hubby in Perth who is a Chartered Accountant (and an original Aussie) who said that at the end of the day they are all pretty much of a much.
d) Got p***ed off with the stupid and unhelpful attitude by two of the HSBC local branches (one in Newcastle and one in the lcoal town in Essex where I am working and not much better with the Miragtion phone number in London !!
e)Didn't have to open the account with a minimum amount
f) The communication and helpfulness of the Migration Office in London was as good as my Personal Banker with my current bank.
g) the NetBanking facility.

Obviously we will be weary of the advice on the charges when we get there but we'll see how it goes.

I firstly did an on-line enquiry and also got the number of the London Office. I got a prompt acknowledgement from Oz and spoke to a very helpful person in London.

The application pack arrived the next day.

I sorted out all the forms and proof of ID over the weekend and then sent it off on the Monday. I got all my "evidence" back the following Monday with the details of how to activate the account when we get to Oz and contact info etc.

I then transferred some monies across electronically on the Net and followed it up with a call to them the next day. They said they would "flag" my account and let me know when the monies had gone in. As promised they rang me up a few days later and said that everything had gone through OK and the exchange rate for the day had been 2.5975 - more than I was expecting and I only transferred £2k. finally I got written confirmaiton of the transfer of the funds the next day.

I know we will get stung for charges etc when we get there but if this is an example of the service over in Oz then bring it on !! One very satisfied customer........so far !!

Good luck to all those others travelling over the next week or so

Best wishes

Warren
Perth 2004...Twice !! :scared:

Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Good experience with the Commonwealth Bank

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!

Just thought I'd share with you our experiences of setting up the bank account ready for our trip next week.....

After doing all the research on here with HSBC vs CBof A we plumped for the latter mainly because of:

b)the number of branches - and a local one very close to where we will be living
c)recommendatiion from my cousins hubby in Perth who is a Chartered Accountant (and an original Aussie) who said that at the end of the day they are all pretty much of a much.
d) Got p***ed off with the stupid and unhelpful attitude by two of the HSBC local branches (one in Newcastle and one in the lcoal town in Essex where I am working and not much better with the Miragtion phone number in London !!
f) The communication and helpfulness of the Migration Office in London was as good as my Personal Banker with my current bank.

Obviously we will be weary of the advice on the charges when we get there but we'll see how it goes.

I firstly did an on-line enquiry and also got the number of the London Office. I got a prompt acknowledgement from Oz and spoke to a very helpful person in London.

I sorted out all the forms and proof of ID over the weekend and then sent it off on the Monday. I got all my "evidence" back the following Monday with the details of how to activate the account when we get to Oz and contact info etc.

I then transferred some monies across electronically on the Net and followed it up with a call to them the next day. They said they would "flag" my account and let me know when the monies had gone in. As promised they rang me up a few days later and said that everything had gone through OK and the exchange rate for the day had been 2.5975 - more than I was expecting and I only transferred £2k. finally I got written confirmaiton of the transfer of the funds the next day.

I know we will get stung for charges etc when we get there but if this is an example of the service over in Oz then bring it on !! One very satisfied customer........so far !!

Best wishes

Warren

my hubby said the same thing about these
Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:53 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

.d) Got p***ed off with the stupid and unhelpful attitude by two of the HSBC local branches (one in Newcastle and one in the lcoal town in Essex where I am working and not much better with the Miragtion phone number in London !!

i can relate to that so far,... as helpful as they were they still didn't have a clue.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Some I guess enjoy giving the CBA their hard earned cash. With the HSBC you can use any cashpoint 5 times a month. With the CBA you will have a limited no of transactions at CBA cashpoints.

I have saved $120 a year in fees and will earn at least $100 in interest from switching to HSBC.

That'll justify the next case of James Squire.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 12:38 am
ABCDiamond

From reading most posts about the Banks, i get the feeling that it is much easier to open a CBA account from the UK, as they seem to be set up specifically for that, unlike the HSBC.

However, once in Australia, it may be wise to further investigate changing accounts, at some convenient stage, to get the benefits of a No Fees and High Interest account, such as HSBC.
And don't forget the unlimited free cash withdrawals via "Cash Out" at the supermarkets.

That way you get "the best of both worlds"

Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened an account with the Commonwealth Bank from the UK and have had no problems. We have yet to receive any bank charges either.

When we were looking for a mortgage we ended up with a product from them as well, which was very competitive.

Steve
Old Jul 8th 2004, 10:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by cookies
We opened an account with the Commonwealth Bank from the UK and have had no problems. We have yet to receive any bank charges either.

When we were looking for a mortgage we ended up with a product from them as well, which was very competitive.

Steve
I think that when you get an account with the same bank as the mortgage, you can also receive fee free banking, depending on the bank of course. Sounds like CBA may do that.

Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:11 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

we waited till we got here.
day one we needed to change some cash the nearest bank was the cba.
got chatting to the ladie behind the counter who invited us to her office. opened an account and we have been friends ever since.
best thing we ever did. they have been here 24 years and passed on loads of info. oh and like me they like a good night oot
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:54 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

The card you get from HSBC cannot be 100% relied on though.

I've had a couple of places who wouldn't take it. Not good if you just filled up with petrol without another means of payment.

Anybody else had this experience?
Old Jul 8th 2004, 3:38 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i just had a funny conversation with a guy from HSBC international. If you caught my other thread about the 100 point check form you'll know why. Anyway, he basically advised me to look at CBA! with there not being a HSBC in ACT.... so back to square one! i think i might end up going out there without opening the account and just transfer the money over when i've got something set up. it sounds like it will be the simplest option for me.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that Warren, as we sent off our id etc on Monday, so should have confimation soon that our account has been opened soon
kind regards
Rach xx
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scutterUK
i just had a funny conversation with a guy from HSBC international. If you caught my other thread about the 100 point check form you'll know why. Anyway, he basically advised me to look at CBA! with there not being a HSBC in ACT.... so back to square one! i think i might end up going out there without opening the account and just transfer the money over when i've got something set up. it sounds like it will be the simplest option for me.
When do you need to go to the bank? You can pay in the money using the post office and withdraw for free using other banks. I make all my payments by direct transfer from the net.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 11:06 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Best wishes

Warren

Here Here,

We opened an account with them a couple of weeks ago - no probs - we now have all info as to which branch to report to when we get there. Sorry but for me banks are banks - at the end of the day all make money out of you some way or another. If we get there and there are better offers from other banks then we'll check them out but for me having the option to secure money with Commenwealth Bank without without any hastle - well then one less stress!

the very best to you and your family -will follow your threads closely to see how you are finding it. We'll be there mid September (fingers crossed)
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:24 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by marie66
Here Here,

We opened an account with them a couple of weeks ago - no probs - we now have all info as to which branch to report to when we get there. Sorry but for me banks are banks - at the end of the day all make money out of you some way or another. If we get there and there are better offers from other banks then we'll check them out but for me having the option to secure money with Commenwealth Bank without without any hastle - well then one less stress!

the very best to you and your family -will follow your threads closely to see how you are finding it. We'll be there mid September (fingers crossed)

Thanks Marie, My point on the original post was this was very much hassle free and a quick way to get sorted as others seemed to have great trouble with the HSBC.

I will be looking at all the options once I am there but for now its another job off the list and the more of those completed before next Tuesday the better !!!!

In answer to the other poster about not going into banks, the other reason why I chose it was down to the NetBanking facility. I have used net banking in the UK for years now and I don't think I have ever been into my branch for about 5 year !!

Anyway, either Jill or I will let you all know how we get one when we get out there.

As an extra to the post, we got a letter from the Migration officer at the St. Georges branch in Perth yesterday with all their contact info. I gave her a ring and set up our "account activation meeting". She was really helpful and friendly.

Best wishes

Warren
Perth 2004....Twice !! :scared: