Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good Estate Agents in Melbourne?

Good Estate Agents in Melbourne?

Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

roobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura about
Default Good Estate Agents in Melbourne?

Hello

Can anyone please recommend any good estate agents for rental properties in Melbourne?

I've heard that English estate agents are far more helpful and friendly than aussie ones- although whether this is true or not I don't know!

We're a family of three who are moving to Melbourne in Jan 2011 and I've heard some real horror stories of how hard it is to find a decent rental and I'm feeling a bit stressed out just thinking about it at the moment as we don't want to be stuck in a holiday rental indefinitely.

thanks in advance
roobush
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Estate Agents in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by roobush
Hello

Can anyone please recommend any good estate agents for rental properties in Melbourne?

I've heard that English estate agents are far more helpful and friendly than aussie ones- although whether this is true or not I don't know!

We're a family of three who are moving to Melbourne in Jan 2011 and I've heard some real horror stories of how hard it is to find a decent rental and I'm feeling a bit stressed out just thinking about it at the moment as we don't want to be stuck in a holiday rental indefinitely.

thanks in advance
roobush
As you know, we are in Geelong and having just had a very painless inspection, I can recommend ours. Just ask if you want me to PM you the details. Can't help with Melbourne as a whole though, sorry.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

One way to get a good rental if you have no employment is to offer 3 months rent in advance. I recommended this recently to another family who could not get accepted for a rental and having offered 3 months rent they were accepted for two on the same day.

BB
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
One way to get a good rental if you have no employment is to offer 3 months rent in advance. I recommended this recently to another family who could not get accepted for a rental and having offered 3 months rent they were accepted for two on the same day.

BB

I offered 6 months - and we left after 6 ...worked out well.. and even the agent admitted that we had left the place cleaner than when we moved in...and it was then not dirty by any means!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Estate agents usually operate in suburbs and the immediate surrounding areas so it's really hard to recommend any unless you know where you will be looking to rent. Melbourne is huge. There are 20 suburbs in our municipality and I'd say at least as many estate agents if not more.

Can you narrow down where you want to live and someone in that area might be able to recommend an agent?

Also, bear in mind that there are very few agents who do only rentals. Most do both sales and rentals and it's easy to guess which gets precedence... Larger agents will usually have at least one person dedicated to rentals though.

Good luck!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

When you know where you will be working have a look at the Transport site if you intend to use public transport. This will give you the all the transport routes and an idea of the suburbs along them.

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

Then you can have a look at http://www.realestate.com.au and check out rentals in the suburbs you are interested in. Domain.com.au is another site for real estate.

As has been said Melbourne is a vast place, I live over a hundred kilometres from the airport. So you need to pick an area and then find out.

So is it beach, hills, flat, how long a commute do you want, etc etc narrow down the options.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

thanks in advance
roobush
I've heard that English estate agents are more intelligent, more cultured and better dressed than aussie ones.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've heard that English estate agents are more intelligent, more cultured and better dressed than aussie ones.
and cheaper probably....with more choice....

BB
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:11 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

We have had many new arrivals in our unit, and none have had much trouble finding rentals within 2 and 3 weeks.

It always depends on where you are heading, but we have had families move to Frankston, Lilydale, Emerald, 2 in Mentone to name just a few, and all secured quite easily.

Ask for a reference from the people you are renting your accomodation on arrival, that always helps.

You might have heard some horror stories, but if everything goes smoothly, whats the point in posting on here
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

roobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura aboutroobush has a spectacular aura about

Hello everyone,

thanks for your replies, most helpful..

The only problem is that we don't know where we will have jobs as we don't have any lined up...

Could take a while to find work, it's hard to judge where we will live until we find work, and we would want to work out where to live based on jobs I guess, less commute etc...

chicken before the egg scenario!

cheers, roobush
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

thanks for your replies, most helpful..

The only problem is that we don't know where we will have jobs as we don't have any lined up...

Could take a while to find work, it's hard to judge where we will live until we find work, and we would want to work out where to live based on jobs I guess, less commute etc...

chicken before the egg scenario!

cheers, roobush
What sort of jobs will you be looking for? If it's anything in the corporate world, chances are you will be working in the CBD (Central Business District) and will be able to commute from pretty much anywhere.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:19 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

If you don't have a job and don't know where you will be located it is hard to recommend an estate agent.

Personally, I would not search for a rental just by an estate agent but go to domain.com.au or something similar to find the property I'm after and then approach the relevant agent(s) in the area. Otherwise, your just limiting yourself to whats on the books of one agent.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Fozwife is a jewel in the roughFozwife is a jewel in the roughFozwife is a jewel in the roughFozwife is a jewel in the roughFozwife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by harrip
If you don't have a job and don't know where you will be located it is hard to recommend an estate agent.

Personally, I would not search for a rental just by an estate agent but go to domain.com.au or something similar to find the property I'm after and then approach the relevant agent(s) in the area. Otherwise, your just limiting yourself to whats on the books of one agent.
Hey, not sure if you are still looking but Fletchers & Barry Plant would be good ones to try....they seem to be all over....are you still looking?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:12 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by harrip

I'd second that. www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au list pretty much all properties for rent. You can sign up for alerts, which will help give you an idea of the cost and availablity etc.

There are soooo many potential renters over there, that in my experience, you will have to be proactive (the agents are not going to go find matching properties for you, you are going to have to do that yourself).

So you will have to find properties that meet your requirements, turn up early for viewings, come prepared with all your paperwork. And as stated above, offering 2 months rent up front will often give you the edge over other potential applicants.

Doesn't matter who the agent is .. it just matters that you find the home you want, and that you do all you can to show that you are the ideal tenants.

Don't stress too much about it now, as there is very little you can do till you get there anyway. And if everyone else manages to do it, you can too! It will all work out.

All you can do now is some research about cost/areas you can afford/would like to live in and determine your minimum criteria. And when you get there, then visit those areas and see if they are what you thought they were.

BTW I had no problems with Aussie agents

Last edited by PMV; Oct 8th 2010 at 10:16 am.