Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good British Indian style restaurant Perth

Good British Indian style restaurant Perth

Old Dec 5th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good British Indian style restaurant Perth

Originally Posted by Mickey-T
BTW Lelchelle, i remeber visiting "Zaal" in Fleet a few years ago. It was lovely.
Just like a "proper" curry should be to us Brits
Having tried Indian food in most countries we have tried there really is such a thing as a British Indian lol, I remember going to an Indian in Victoria Park and we sat near some visitors from Birmingham and when their Balti's arrived they looked amazed, tried it and said to each other (we were sat very close) "nothing like a Balti" must admit (it was our first visit to this restaurant as well) I ordered a Pashwri Nan and it came like a Biscuit but I suppose that is the beauty of trying different places (we did not go back as to be fair the food was very mild and bland) as I mentioned before Cinnamon on the Terrace in Victoria Park is very good (or use to be a few years ago, we have not been since we returned to the UK) they did have an Indian chef born in Birmingham then and you could tell the difference, well we brits could anyway but a few of our Aussie friends enjoyed the food there as well.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:23 am
Just Joined

timelesschick is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry folks

I know it's been done to death, but after nearly 17 years of living down under, we still haven't found a good curry house. People raved about the Glasgow Curry House, but after a visit there a few weeks ago, we were left very disappointed..........once again. Naan bread was excellent, tandoori and kebabs were OK, but the curry was well below average.

The best we have found is Anghiti in Innaloo, but it's still not British style Indian. Surely, with the huge British population, you would have thought that somebody with the know how would have latched onto it by now.

We also tried the new one in Joondalup recently: "Sangeet". Again, it was OK, but nothing to make me want to rush back, and mega expensive.

Anyone have any knowledge of new places to try, they do seem to be cropping up everywhere now.
If you are ever down south Denmark... an Indian has just opened there, we were down there on holiday a few weeks ago and omg it was like a British one, really nice
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timelesschick
If you are ever down south Denmark... an Indian has just opened there, we were down there on holiday a few weeks ago and omg it was like a British one, really nice
Was it run by some of the many expats down there?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mickey-T will become famous soon enough

Tried this again tonight.............absolutely the best curry I have had in this part of the world. Just like a proper British curry.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mickey-T will become famous soon enough

Can't believe nobody has tried/commented on this place, seeing as so many curry starved Poms live here.

This place is the real deal.

Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:51 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe nobody has tried/commented on this place, seeing as so many curry starved Poms live here.

I'm going to try there!!

Also at Mindarie Marina there is a curry place which is a good nosh

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/338/1619...ikara-Mindarie
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

It's been too blinking hot to eat any warm food (temp not spiciness). It's on my list to try that place, maybe from April.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:59 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Each to their own, but I dont get this pommy style curry.....

Its just gravy...................with spices and curry powder....

I am under the impression athentic Indian food includes, vegtables, spices , breads etc....

but guess the poms would want a pound of chips, in a imperial size...
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:10 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I tried it and thought it was just as crap as most of the other places I have tried. Was quite excited about having a british style chicken tikka biriyani. It was absolutely rank and nothing like back in the UK. The rice was like microwave rice and the jalfrezi was revolting.

Sorry.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone actually been to India and compared....?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Yes. The first thing to realize about India is the food varies massively by region and of course religion. I think the average Indian restaurant in the UK is a pretty fair representation. Though I also imagine it varies around the UK. We lived in Leicester which has a huge Indian population so, the food is very good and close to what would be served in India, though it is more of a mix. For example, many Indians are vegetarian. Hence the best restaurant in Leicester is Bobbies on Belgrave road. Tiny little place with very basic plastic chairs and things, but Indian people travel the country just to visit it. Amazing food.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone has ever really stated EXACTLY, qualititively, why Australia Indian is not as good as the British stuff - (although NB tells us that the rice was microwaved!)

I had a UK curry in 2008, and it wasn't a big deal.. and I couldn't remember what the Australian stuff tasted like so had no comparison... I can point to particular places here serving up better stuff than elsewhere but I find it hard to say why (and I won't complain about it). Presentation even.

It's meat or vegetables in a spicy gravy in the main..
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't think anyone has ever really stated EXACTLY, qualititively, why Australia Indian is not as good as the British stuff - (although NB tells us that the rice was microwaved!)

I had a UK curry in 2008, and it wasn't a big deal.. and I couldn't remember what the Australian stuff tasted like so had no comparison... I can point to particular places here serving up better stuff than elsewhere but I find it hard to say why (and I won't complain about it). Presentation even.

It's meat or vegetables in a spicy gravy in the main..
i said it was like microwave rice.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:21 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
My husband spent a big part of his childhood there and agrees, as verystormy says, that there are regional variations in cooking, so no one type of 'Indian' food. He says too, that what we get in the UK is pretty representative of what he had there, although his family was mostly vegetarian as you could never be quite sure what meat you could be eating, or how it had been stored.

His favourite food are dosas, from Southern India. Really yummy and there some good places for those in Australia and the UK.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
i said it was like microwave rice.
even worse than rice, microwaved, then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.