Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good Brisbane Suburb to live?

Good Brisbane Suburb to live?

Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:27 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Brisbane Suburb to live?

Originally Posted by fish.01
"ideally we are looking for a suburb that has a bit of life about it eg pubs, cafés, restaurants as well as parks and space for the kids."

Brisbane (Australian) suburbs are very quiet. I think it will come down to how much "pubs, cafés, restaurants" you want. Jindalee would shut up shop pretty early I imagine and be more focused on family shopping/sport than street life.

Coming from London my guess would be that Bulimba would be more suitable but hard to really know what you would consider busy enough. Even the busy suburbs here have plenty of parks, schools, family feel etc so you can live almost anywhere really.

You could also consider somewhere on the northside like Indooroopilly/Taringa/Toowong and send your hubby over the walter taylor bridge against peak hour traffic to Heathwood.
That's the first place that came to mind to fit their needs too
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Might help ?

http://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Trav.../Brisbane.aspx
Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Zo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to all

Thanks for the web link - yes that definitely helps! Bulimba does look and sound like it has the right balance of social activity and family friendliness. With our children being so young we aren't looking for too much hustle and bustle - just the chance to get involved in a lively community and have lots to do in the area.
It is hard to choose based on no experience of actually being there!!! I am so glad I found this website as you guys have helped a lot in our research!!
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zo74
We have been looking on property websites and Jindalee offers some impressive houses! I just wondered what the areas around it are like? 17 mile rocks, Sinnamon park....?
The houses are pretty similar in Sinnamon park. 17 mile rocks appear to be a bit older. Haven't driven around too much there to be honest, but both are nice enough.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the web link - yes that definitely helps! Bulimba does look and sound like it has the right balance of social activity and family friendliness. With our children being so young we aren't looking for too much hustle and bustle - just the chance to get involved in a lively community and have lots to do in the area.
It is hard to choose based on no experience of actually being there!!! I am so glad I found this website as you guys have helped a lot in our research!!
No worries. I guess Bulimba, Jindalee, Graceville, Manly etc gives you a range of hustle and bustle to choose from so hopefully you'll find something that works.

Here's something I did earlier on Bulimba which might give you a taste: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ba#post9486484

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 20th 2013 at 2:07 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
No worries. I guess Bulimba, Jindalee, Graceville, Manly etc gives you a range of hustle and bustle to choose from so hopefully you'll find something that works.

Here's something I did earlier on Bulimba which might give you a taste: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ba#post9486484
And the great thing is that there are a variety of good suburbs in different areas which tick most of the boxes. I could quite easily live in most of those.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Zo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to all

Ok here is a curveball - my husbands new boss to be has mentioned Hope Island as a place to look. (He doesnt live in the area although other colleagues do)
I have seen amazing 4 bed houses with pools there, looks like good little areas of shops and cafés although clearly not as much as bulimba etc. some people rave about the area but then I have heard extremely negative reports about it too...
Any views???!!!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Ok here is a curveball - my husbands new boss to be has mentioned Hope Island as a place to look. (He doesnt live in the area although other colleagues do)
I have seen amazing 4 bed houses with pools there, looks like good little areas of shops and cafés although clearly not as much as bulimba etc. some people rave about the area but then I have heard extremely negative reports about it too...
Any views???!!!
I would say no, no, no, no, no!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I would say no, no, no, no, no!
I second that.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 12:36 pm
Banned

ainitcskarachi is an unknown quantity at this point

Bulimba is my suggestion as it has beautiful scenic camping spots also.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Haha fair enough!!! Why is hope island area so bad? I can only google streetmap it and it doesn't look too offensive....?!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ainitcskarachi
Bulimba is my suggestion as it has beautiful scenic camping spots also.
Bulimba is a city suburb of Brisbane, not particularly scenic nor known for its camping spots.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

That's ok we're not planning much (any) camping..!

So why the resounding no for the Hope island area? I am intrigued!!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

That's ok we're not planning much (any) camping..!

So why the resounding no for the Hope island area? I am intrigued!!
Someone started another thread - location, location, location re being seduced by big, shiny houses and now finding themselves miles from the things they enjoy in the city and bored. That is Hope Island to me. It's one saving grace is probably proximity to good beaches on the Gold Coast.