Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good Brisbane Suburb to live?

Good Brisbane Suburb to live?

Old Oct 6th 2013, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Zo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to all
Default Good Brisbane Suburb to live?

My husband has just been offered a job in Heathwood, Brisbane. Neither of us have been to Brisbane before so are busy researching!
We have 2 young children (3 and 1) and have been living in Clapham, London so are used to a lively city life and more recently moved out to the countryside to get more space for the kids. Ideally we are looking for a suburb that has a bit of life about it eg pubs, cafés, restaurants as well as parks and space for the kids. As Heathwood is south I am thinking we should be south of the river and ideally on a good route to the city and Gold Coast.
With all these factors in mind I am wondering whether anyone has any good suggestions about where to live?
So far I am thinking Mount Gravatt, Camp Hill, Chelmer/Graceville and Bulimba/Balmoral/Hawthorne areas....?
Any other suggestions most welcome!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 11:47 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Brisbane Suburb to live?

Don't think that "pubs" in Australia are anything like British pubs - they are called 'hotels' even though most of them don't offer accomodation and they are in business mainly to sell food and take your money in the pokies (fruit machines). You might occasionally find one that has a British type atmosphere but they are few and far between.

When you head that far south (Mt Gravatt, Springwood, etc) most of the suburbs are relatively new so the cafes and restaurants tend to be centred around the main shopping precincts.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Oct 7th 2013 at 11:56 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bulimba is probably your best bet if you have a young family and want nice cafes and restaurants within walking distance - just a quick citycat ride across the river to New Farm and the Valley to visit a popular pub if you're into the pub scene in a big way.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Jindalee. Has pretty much everything you mention except a real English pub, but we have a hotel that suffices.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:15 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Bulimba is about 35km from Heathwood, making it a 35-45 minute journey in light traffic and probably a nightmare at peak hour. Unfortunately the Translink journey planner is down at the moment so I have no idea how you would do the trip using public transport, but I imagine you would need to change several times.

Personally I would start out renting somewhere close to work, then move later when you've learned more about the area and had a chance to think about what you want.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Bulimba is about 35km from Heathwood, making it a 35-45 minute journey in light traffic and probably a nightmare at peak hour. Unfortunately the Translink journey planner is down at the moment so I have no idea how you would do the trip using public transport, but I imagine you would need to change several times.

Personally I would start out renting somewhere close to work, then move later when you've learned more about the area and had a chance to think about what you want.
Yes, excellent advice.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Zo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to allZo74 is a name known to all

Thank you! I think the company will put us up somewhere when we first arrive for about 8 weeks but getting a feel for the different areas is helping us get our heads around such a big move! My husband will be driving to and from work so the public transport issue isn't such a big thing for him, however as I won't be working (for a while at least) I don't want feel cut off and want a chance to get to know people and get out and about with the kids, so cafés, shops and parks are important. The pub aspect was more for the adult social side but yes you're right I had forgotten that Aussie pubs are a bit different from our British ones!
Am looking for as many area suggestions as possible so we can explore all options!!!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee

Shouldn't be too bad because they will be going against peak hour traffic.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Cleveland has pretty much all you request as well other than an English Pub.
We do however have
1 Australian Hotel
2 Irish Taverns
1 RSL
1 Bowls Club
1 Soccer Club
1 Wine Bar
1 Hogs Breath Cafe with an outside drinking area overlooking Raby Bay Marina

Not seen as many drinking establishments as this in any other suburb in Brisbane area imho other than the main entertainment precincts such as city, valley etc etc

Heaps of cafes/restaraunts
3/4 parks
Train line into city which takes circa 1 hour
Travel to Heathwood using motorways would be circa 40 mins

Pretty much all we don't have of notable value entertainment wise is a cinema but there are 2 within 10 mins drive

Good luck with your headache
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:27 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Cleveland has pretty much all you request as well other than an English Pub.
We do however have
1 Australian Hotel
2 Irish Taverns
1 RSL
1 Bowls Club
1 Soccer Club
1 Wine Bar
1 Hogs Breath Cafe with an outside drinking area overlooking Raby Bay Marina

Not seen as many drinking establishments as this in any other suburb in Brisbane area imho other than the main entertainment precincts such as city, valley etc etc

Heaps of cafes/restaraunts
3/4 parks
Train line into city which takes circa 1 hour
Travel to Heathwood using motorways would be circa 40 mins

Pretty much all we don't have of notable value entertainment wise is a cinema but there are 2 within 10 mins drive

Good luck with your headache
Sounds like a great place,how's the rental market
Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Sounds like a great place,how's the rental market
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Does Cleveland have good beaches? I have looked it up on the map and have seen it sits on the coast but keep reading that the only beaches as such are Gold or Sunshine coasts...?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zo74
Does Cleveland have good beaches? I have looked it up on the map and have seen it sits on the coast but keep reading that the only beaches as such are Gold or Sunshine coasts...?
Brisbane doesn't have beaches (apart from the man made Southbank in Brissie), so GC or SC are the only options.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:22 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

There are some beaches around and some nearer to Brisbane than others - none of them surfing beaches but beaches for kids with shallow water

http://minsmash.com/2012/10/17/pandanus-beach-wynnum/

http://www.macleayisland.net/

http://www.lambisland.com/

http://www.coochiemudlo.net/

https://foursquare.com/v/wellington-point-beach/

http://www.stradbrokeholidays.com.au/
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zo74
Technically yes there are small beaches which people use in Raby Bay area which is part of Cleveland plus a couple of free barbecues the last time i looked couple of year ago, but as others have said mainland beaches start in the North on the Sunshine Coast and in the South from the Gold coast There are of course some very good beaches locally accessible by ferry such as ones at Stradbroke Island

here is the evidence

http://www.whereis.com/qld/cleveland...d#session=NTM=

You will need to click on photo top right of page

Last edited by bobbyftm; Oct 9th 2013 at 11:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.