Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good breed of dog for Oz

Good breed of dog for Oz

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good breed of dog for Oz

I mentioned earlier on another thread, I'm not taking my Springer (see avatar, thats the real 'Jack' my springer) to Oz. I would be very interested to hear what dogs or other pets people have in Oz and what they would recommend breed wise.

I really hope to get myself a new dog in Oz (don't worry Jack's going to a real good home when we leave), but want to get one that suits the environment, especially the Brisbane climate. I want something that feels comfortable in that climate, I think its cruel to have long haired dogs in warm humid environments.

I've been researching the dog parks and things in Brisbane, has anyone used them, are they good?

Also is there an RSPCA or equivalent? (ASPCA?)

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 9:53 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Rescue a Greyhound from an animal shelter in Brisbane or Queensland, sadly if they don't make the grade as racers they are disposed of and too many end up in the shelters before being put to sleep.

Greyhounds make very loving and loyal pets plus great with kids, and the big bonus they are short haired without under coat and well suited to the warm climate.

I'm sure a Greyhound would suit your needs perfectly.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

People don't seem to consider the climate out here when choosing dogs as I have seen many different breeds and lots of them are not naturally good with heat. Maybe the dogs are not affected by the heat as much as we think, I don't know.

All kinds of terriers, Maltese, Yorkies, Silkies, Cairns, Westies etc shitz hu, all types of Spaniels, Poodles etc are very common. I have seen a Hairless Chinese Crested dog, which must get burnt badly in the sun and to top it off I saw HUSKY the other day! I mean crazy or what a Husky in Qld!

We are investigating which dog to get and I got an atlas of breeds from the library, it was quite useful as it said which breeds were good for hot and cold climates. I don't think I will pay too much attention to it after seeing all the different dogs around.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

We have a cocker spaniel and a maltese terrier here on the Gold Coast.

Generally they both have regular haircuts in summer to stop them getting too hot, our cockie for example has a No 7 cut every 3 months or so.

I have only known 1 day that was too hot for Buster the cockie, he just wanted to lay down in a shady place rather than going walkies, which was fine by me cos it was too hot for me as well!
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:18 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good breed of dog for Oz

Originally posted by JackTheLad
I mentioned earlier on another thread, I'm not taking my Springer (see avatar, thats the real 'Jack' my springer) to Oz. I would be very interested to hear what dogs or other pets people have in Oz and what they would recommend breed wise.

I really hope to get myself a new dog in Oz (don't worry Jack's going to a real good home when we leave), but want to get one that suits the environment, especially the Brisbane climate. I want something that feels comfortable in that climate, I think its cruel to have long haired dogs in warm humid environments.

I've been researching the dog parks and things in Brisbane, has anyone used them, are they good?

Also is there an RSPCA or equivalent? (ASPCA?)

Cheers,
JTL

RSPCA are huge in oz.

We breed newfoundlands, and are taking ours.

Good aussie dog Blue Heeler !! good old bluey
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:50 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I mentioned earlier on another thread, I'm not taking my Springer (see avatar, thats the real 'Jack' my springer) to Oz.

Cheers,
JTL

Nice dog! Here's mine (looking terribly worried for some reason!)
Attached Thumbnails Good breed of dog for Oz-scan0001.jpg  
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:53 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by irishmolly
Rescue a Greyhound from an animal shelter in Brisbane or Queensland, sadly if they don't make the grade as racers they are disposed of and too many end up in the shelters before being put to sleep.

Greyhounds make very loving and loyal pets plus great with kids, and the big bonus they are short haired without under coat and well suited to the warm climate.

I'm sure a Greyhound would suit your needs perfectly.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Do they need to be muzzled if they're not racing greyhounds?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
Ahhh cute!! Springers are great. Great personality, and I believe some of them are quite smart.

Not Jack though, his zest for life overcomes whatever intelligence he has, and he just runs around like a mad thing

I would mind getting a smaller spaniel in Oz, I was just worried about the climate thing. I never thought about giving them haircuts!

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:53 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Pollster

Aaaaa Pollster........your dowgie looks like mine wiv it's big eyes and "brown bear" nose

Lovely

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:58 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Ahhh cute!! Springers are great. Great personality, and I believe some of them are quite smart.

Not Jack though, his zest for life overcomes whatever intelligence he has, and he just runs around like a mad thing

I would mind getting a smaller spaniel in Oz, I was just worried about the climate thing. I never thought about giving them haircuts!

Cheers,
JTL
Hi JackTheLad

I've got a Springer too....they are fantasic family pets aren't they

We were going to leave our with my sister in UK.......however as the months have ticked by......I've realised I can't do it

I've tried to rationalise, talk sense, lose the emotional nonsense.......but I love the bloody pooch too much...and for some reason she keeps looking at me as if to ask what the bloody hell I think I'm doing even THINKING about leaving her

So.........the dowgie is coming.....and husband stopping ......[LOL....only kidding]

We are going to find somewhere to settle first then have her shipped over

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

We have a 19 week old Groodle ( 3/4 Golden retreiver x 1/4 poodle) He is adorable a bit hyper but they all are arent they at that age. Excellent temperment with the kids which is good. Alot here are a cross of some kind and they can be very expensive compared to pure breeds as well sometimes.
Joanne
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 12:53 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by jopaulss
We have a 19 week old Groodle ( 3/4 Golden retreiver x 1/4 poodle) He is adorable a bit hyper but they all are arent they at that age. Excellent temperment with the kids which is good. Alot here are a cross of some kind and they can be very expensive compared to pure breeds as well sometimes.
Joanne

Have you got a piccie of Groodle?

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Ours looks just like a retreiver, just that he is a bit curly on the ears. Have attached one i found on the web, they look similar to this ours is a bit chukier
Attached Thumbnails Good breed of dog for Oz-groodle_dscn1557.jpg  
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:13 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by jopaulss
Ours looks just like a retreiver, just that he is a bit curly on the ears. Have attached one i found on the web, they look similar to this ours is a bit chukier

Awww.....beautiful......bet you could kiss him to bits

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:21 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

My dogs will be coming with me. they live in a hot climate now. Florida. one is dachshund mixed with beagle. the other is dachshund mixed with chihuahua. so they are both shorthaired and do great with the heat. also they are very loyal and great with kids. (the chihuahua part can be a little bit territorial though.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.