Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: Our first UK trip

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: Our first UK trip

Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:14 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: Our first UK trip

Originally Posted by wmoore
That's what makes a mockery of the whole thing. So I didn't put anything in a clear plastic bag, so what? If I had, they would have still had to take it out of my bag and inspect it but then it would be OK to let me go? This is the jobsworth attitude that pissed me off more than anything. It's not like NOT having it in a clear bag is a) any more secure and b) creates any less work for the security staff. It's all bollocks just so the government can be seen to be doing something about preventing terrorism.

I also wondered what happens to the stuff they take away. Who's to say that the security staff member doesn't just trouser them? Ooh look a 3/4 full bottle of Davidoff, that'll do nicely. Unless you're the poor sap who paid 35 quid for it
Especially when some of it is brand new and still sealed.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:18 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I also wondered what happens to the stuff they take away. Who's to say that the security staff member doesn't just trouser them? Ooh look a 3/4 full bottle of Davidoff, that'll do nicely. Unless you're the poor sap who paid 35 quid for it
Trousering Davidoff - now that is a new take on what to do with that particular brand

Now could you possibly blow up an aircraft with some lippy and perfume. FFS.

And yes NorthernBird I did send an email back to my manager telling him to shove it as I am out of BA on 17th March
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That goes with what GG was saying about 'people not the place' too. I always think that we will have a different attitude to spouse visa holders because we chose to be here. I know you didn't literally not choose to be here but you know what I mean. It's bound to give you a different outlook on things.
Originally Posted by louise4
Oh Polly, i really feel for you, do you think it will ever get to stage where you just can't take it any longer, or is it a case of just accepting it for what it is?

whaterver it is i really hope you get happier soon.

could you not move somewhere else?
It is a case of accepting and making the best of it - trying to ignore the things you don't like, rather like being in the UK I guess. If you know you have to live somewhere you have to make the best of it. I don't think The Bloke could cope with living in the UK for many reasons, and then of course HE would be the Expat.
As Mr Moore says, spouse visas are different from skills, and thus are more likely to have a different outlook. Although some Aussie spouses have lived in the Uk for much of their lives, most of them are accustomed to Aus life, just as their partners are to life in a different land, the UK or wherever.

That's what makes a mockery of the whole thing. So I didn't put anything in a clear plastic bag, so what? If I had, they would have still had to take it out of my bag and inspect it but then it would be OK to let me go? This is the jobsworth attitude that pissed me off more than anything. It's not like NOT having it in a clear bag is a) any more secure and b) creates any less work for the security staff. It's all bollocks just so the government can be seen to be doing something about preventing terrorism.

I'm told that most of the extra security staff are just temps, on short term contracts with no security training and no real knowledge of the rules. That also explains the fact that the rules aren't applied consistently.
Some people do push their luck though, which makes it harder for the rest of us. On the Singapore-Heathrow leg of my trip I met a lady flying home to Manchester, after a couple of years in Singapore. She had a bottle of whisky in her hand luggage from Duty Free and was convinced that when she told Security it was Duty Free alcohol they would let her take it on the onward flight to Manchester. You couldn't tell her otherwise, she was ready for a good argument with them
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It is a case of accepting and making the best of it - trying to ignore the things you don't like, rather like being in the UK I guess. If you know you have to live somewhere you have to make the best of it. I don't think The Bloke could cope with living in the UK for many reasons, and then of course HE would be the Expat.
As Mr Moore says, spouse visas are different from skills, and thus are more likely to have a different outlook. Although some Aussie spouses have lived in the Uk for much of their lives, most of them are accustomed to Aus life, just as their partners are to life in a different land, the UK or wherever.

I'm told that most of the extra security staff are just temps, on short term contracts with no security training and no real knowledge of the rules. That also explains the fact that the rules aren't applied consistently.
Some people do push their luck though, which makes it harder for the rest of us. On the Singapore-Heathrow leg of my trip I met a lady flying home to Manchester, after a couple of years in Singapore. She had a bottle of whisky in her hand luggage from Duty Free and was convinced that when she told Security it was Duty Free alcohol they would let her take it on the onward flight to Manchester. You couldn't tell her otherwise, she was ready for a good argument with them
If she had any sense she'd have drank it then at least she would have had the pleasure of it.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
If she had any sense she'd have drank it then at least she would have had the pleasure of it.
Would've made the wait for the next flight go quickly too
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:43 am

Question Re: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: Our first UK trip

Would've made the wait for the next flight go quickly too
You could always have assisted her with it... might of made you feel happier about living here... , alternatively there's happy pills to help you cope with living in Aus you know, you will still be living here but will be so spaced out you will love it.

Why don't you take the big bloke back to the UK to live for a while, it's only fair you've been here a few years now it's his turn to get cold?

Last edited by annqldau; Mar 7th 2007 at 8:46 am.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
Trousering Davidoff - now that is a new take on what to do with that particular brand

Now could you possibly blow up an aircraft with some lippy and perfume. FFS.

And yes NorthernBird I did send an email back to my manager telling him to shove it as I am out of BA on 17th March
OMG! Suzy you ARE still here!!!! Haven't heard from you in ages X
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's funny.
When I went back last xmas I got home sick for Oz.

I found funny little things in the UK I didn't notice before like carpet in the toilet (Yuk). And those crap electric showers they have over there, didn't feel clean for the entire time I was there.

Interesting reading - and interesting to compare. I have to say that when I was in the UK last month I was amazed at the service I got everywhere, helpful shop assistants, but not instrusive, helpful bar staff, even helpful car park attendants! Truly frightening as I wasn't expceting it. I had fab service from Qantas, no problem with Security at the airports, and came back so relaxed its untrue. Two days back in Australia and the heat plus the niggles of life and work and I was back on a heavy diet of Nurofen.

I waited two years for my first trip home, cos I'd heard about the 18 month watershed too....but here I am after nearly 4 years in Aus, and its still not home, I still don't feel I belong, and every trip to the UK makes me feel more alien in Australia.

Suppose it proves how different we all are, and no one country is right for everyone.
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you enjoyed the trip. We've kind of done it in reverse already .. spending two months here in 2005 and then flying back, but I do know where you're coming from.

Heathrow's just a sub-office of hell itself - it's one of those places you just have to endure. Always had great service at Bristol though, so I don't think it's all regional airports. That said, not had to fly with these bats-arse new restrictions on cabin luggage ...
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Those crap electric showers they have over there, didn't feel clean for the entire time I was there.
Your original pommy shower.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:23 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glittababe
OMG! Suzy you ARE still here!!!! Haven't heard from you in ages X
It's not me really - just a hologram

Seriously, took a break from BE for a few weeks. Will pm you later x
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
Yes it's funny.
When I went back last xmas I got home sick for Oz.

I found funny little things in the UK I didn't notice before like carpet in the toilet (Yuk). And those crap electric showers they have over there, didn't feel clean for the entire time I was there.
Know what you mean about the showers... .
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Glad you had a good trip apart from the hassles with the airports.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:33 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the same water pressure as a urinating ant

Originally Posted by annqldau
Know what you mean about the showers... .
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

great post and very down to earth and honest.

i bet you dont miss the brtisih weather

sj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.