Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good and Bad subs of Brisbane for family rental homes

Good and Bad subs of Brisbane for family rental homes

Old May 4th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

surfbum99 has a brilliant futuresurfbum99 has a brilliant futuresurfbum99 has a brilliant futuresurfbum99 has a brilliant futuresurfbum99 has a brilliant futuresurfbum99 has a brilliant futuresurfbum99 has a brilliant future
Default Good and Bad subs of Brisbane for family rental homes

Hi,

Myself and my family have now been in Brisbane a month now, I work in the CBD. We currently are renting in Newstead, and love the Ascot and Racecourse area as well.
We're looking for good places to rent for a family, (myself and our daughter). What are the good and bad subs of brisbane? We were looking at Cleveland, is that a good one? going to have a look today.
Obviously newstead, Ascot, hamilton are all good, but are there more subs which you can more for your money.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:50 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Good and Bad subs of Brisbane for family rental homes

Cleveland area and the rest of the Bayside can be pretty good.

In general, the area is pretty good and safe, however... the area is on the front page of the QLD newspaper today, as a 20 yr old was stabbed and died at a nightclub in Alex Hills, a suburb next to Cleveland, early (1:00am) Saturday morning. Not a normal occurrence for the area though.

Cleveland itself is the first/last stop on the rail line, useful in getting a seat if commuting by train

The Raby Bay part of Cleveland is particulary nice, but a bit pricey ...

Old May 4th 2009, 3:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
the area is on the front page of the QLD newspaper today, as a 20 yr old was stabbed and died at a nightclub in Alex Hills, a suburb next to Cleveland, early (1:00am) Saturday morning. Not a normal occurrence for the area though.
'The Alex' is rough as. I went there ONCE, back in 2003 - main memories are wall to wall rednecks, wading through broken glass on the floor & I remember that they scanned a copy of the driving license of everyone who went into the place - presumably so they could give the police a list later!! That being said I actually quite like parts of Alex Hills and it probably offers good value housing.

Another place to avoid is the Koala Tavern in Capalaba if that's still around.

OP, did you take a look over on the other side of the river? If you are after more for your $ but still in easy reach of the city check out Camp Hill, Morningside, Coorparoo, Norman park....or if your $'s stretch further.....Balmoral, Hawthorne, Bulimba.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
'The Alex' is rough as. I went there ONCE, back in 2003 - main memories are wall to wall rednecks, wading through broken glass on the floor & I remember that they scanned a copy of the driving license of everyone who went into the place - presumably so they could give the police a list later!! That being said I actually quite like parts of Alex Hills and it probably offers good value housing.
We have been to the Alexandra Hills Hotel a few times, (since 2005) mainly for family meals in the restaurant section.
Never been in the Nightclub area though.

Old May 4th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld

Another place to avoid is the Koala Tavern in Capalaba if that's still around.

OP, did you take a look over on the other side of the river? If you are after more for your $ but still in easy reach of the city check out Camp Hill, Morningside, Coorparoo, Norman park....or if your $'s stretch further.....Balmoral, Hawthorne, Bulimba.
I agree!! And I live in Gympie!!!
Old May 4th 2009, 5:23 am
ABCDiamond

Has it changed much ?

I haven't been for a while, and I can't recognise that entrance... I'll have to call in next time I pass...

Old May 4th 2009, 8:51 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

try spring hill, its well nice .