Reload this Page >

good/bad areas of Sydney?

good/bad areas of Sydney?

Old May 9th 2005, 6:35 am
Just Joined

TRJP will become famous soon enough
Default good/bad areas of Sydney?

Hi

Can anyone tell me which are the good/nice/youn family orientated areas in syndey and which areas to avoid.

We are moving there in 6 wks and have no idea where to start!
Old May 9th 2005, 6:43 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: good/bad areas of Sydney?

Originally Posted by TRJP
Hi

Can anyone tell me which are the good/nice/youn family orientated areas in syndey and which areas to avoid.

What is your budget for accommodation costs ? It will have a big impact on your options.

Old May 9th 2005, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Really wide choice. Depends on what you're after. Do you need to be near the city? Do you especially want to be near the beach? What price range are you thinking? Lots of people with families live on the North Shore. Bugger to commute but very pretty. I live in the Inner West which has a bad rep but is great in some areas (in my area there are heaps of schools, parks, families and prices are pretty affordable.)
To look at price ranges etc try Just Listed Domain Realestate.com
Any questions about any areas that catch your eye someone here should be able to tell you about.
Old May 9th 2005, 6:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Snap!

It's worth remembering that choosing an area is all about horses for courses. As Un-Co says, the inner west has a bad reputation, but I find Glebe suits Mr GG and I perfectly - 10 minute walk to the fish market, 20 minute walk to Darling Harbour. And Glebe itself has lots of restaurants and cafes, with a good feel about the place (to my mind). Depends what you need and what rings your bell.

GG

Originally Posted by Un-Co
I live in the Inner West which has a bad rep but is great in some areas (in my area there are heaps of schools, parks, families and prices are pretty affordable.)
Old May 9th 2005, 7:11 am
Just Joined

We are looking at aout $400-$500 per week and ideally want a 3 bed house. I am thinking units are like blocks of flats(am i right?) We are in our early 30's with a 21mth old son so need something with lots of toddler groups, ideally near to the beach and with a good social network.

We would prefer the Nothern Beaches or upper north shore but am I right in thinking these areas are alot more expensive?
Old May 9th 2005, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking at aout $400-$500 per week and ideally want a 3 bed house. I am thinking units are like blocks of flats(am i right?) We are in our early 30's with a 21mth old son so need something with lots of toddler groups, ideally near to the beach and with a good social network.

We would prefer the Nothern Beaches or upper north shore but am I right in thinking these areas are alot more expensive?
Again it depends - some bits are very pricey and others better. Not an expert on North Shore I'm afraid but there are a few people on here who are. I'm sure it's been talked about recently. Have you done a search on posts relating to areas to live on BE? The sites I posted earlier will give you an idea on prices. Good luck!!!
PS Units are generally apartments
Old May 9th 2005, 10:06 am
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: good/bad areas of Sydney?

We are living in Hornsby and its really nice. You wont have any problem finding a 3-bed house for £400 - 500 in N Shore.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Where will you be working?
Old May 9th 2005, 10:52 am
Just Joined

My husband will be working in CBD and doesn't want a huge commute but doen't mind 45 mins. He will be on public transport, not driving.
Old May 9th 2005, 11:21 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Two sites that you might also find useful are:

http://www.131500.com.au/
http://www.whereis.com/whereis/home.jsp

You can use them for a guesstimate of how long a trip might take by public transport.

GG

My husband will be working in CBD and doesn't want a huge commute but doen't mind 45 mins. He will be on public transport, not driving.
Old May 9th 2005, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

I used to live at N Beaches, lovely area. Bu&*%r of a commute to the city, no trains, buses yes but driving? Leave at 6.30/7am! yet off peak it's a 45min drive. Also it's become very yuppie and prices have skyrocketed. Round the back of Dee Why Beach is Cromer which might offer you the size/price house you seek. Easier might be E. suburbs but less laid back, very hectic, but easier commute, on the whole expensive, choose area carefully, some less exp.places around Dover Heights, I lived that area for a few yrs. South of city there's areas like Brighton-le-Sands, a little further south Sans Souci/Dolls Point area. Nothing near water is cheap but I don't know much about prices round this area not having lived there maybe someone else can help. I just don't feel at home down that way, but that's me, nothing wrong with it that I know of. Anyone help here? You mention upper north shore, good commute (trains) but a good 1/2 hr drive to beaches and expensive mostly. Hope this helps.-TC
Old May 10th 2005, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We live in the Newtown (Inner West) which is a great place with many quiet streets, most places have good sized yards and it has easy access to all Sydney has on offer. You can be at the beach (Coogee etc) in 15mins, the City in 10mins. King Street (which runs through the centre) is great for shops/restaurants/general nite life and transport in the area is good. I certainly wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We pay $350 for a big 2 bed Old Style Terrace so I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding a 3 bed for what you want to pay and there some beautiful properties in the area that I have seen for that price range. Aside from there I would suggest Erskineville, Glebe, St Peters & Stanmore. Avoid Redfern (obviously), Cabramatta (even its MP won't live there), Parramatta (yawn), Rooty Hill (dead), Blacktown- Basically anywhere full of Westies!

Last edited by Stu.E; May 10th 2005 at 2:53 am.
Old May 10th 2005, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Stu.E]We live in the Newtown (Inner West) . Aside from there I would suggest Erskineville, Glebe, St Peters & Stanmore. QUOTE]

Another Inner Westener - fantastic!! You forgot Annandale though...
Old May 10th 2005, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Un-Co]
Originally Posted by Stu.E
We live in the Newtown (Inner West) . Aside from there I would suggest Erskineville, Glebe, St Peters & Stanmore. QUOTE]

Another Inner Westener - fantastic!! You forgot Annandale though...
Oooops - I knew there was another place, just couldn't remember. I love it here and can't imagine living anywhere else.
Old May 10th 2005, 3:23 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Hi TRJP,

We researched the whole of Sydney for 2 years before we came to live here, now almost 2 years ago. I was on the computer most nights and ringing my husbands cousin here in Sydney, the family has been here since 1929 so I trusted her to give me good advice. Everyone here will give you an idea of where they live and be a little bias I would say. I am a community nurse and have been all around Sydney, there are good and bad in all the areas I have been visiting, you just need to do some research yourself and try and get a feel for a place then when you come over go and check it out. I am quite suprised how some people on here say they would never consider whatever area, and then say they have never been. When we came over we stayed in appartments in the city and then travelled north, south, east and west, put a tick next to an area or crossed it off our list. Yes it was hard and very time consuming. But it is very important to find the best area for you and your family as it goes a long way to helping you settle quicker.

Good luck with the search!

Marie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.