Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Good and bad areas and recommendations

Good and bad areas and recommendations

Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:00 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Good and bad areas and recommendations

Please could someone advise me on the good and bad areas of the following towns/suburbs near Cairns. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. (We have three kids aged 4, 12 and 14)

Cairns
Edmonton
Gordonvale
Aloomba
Bellenden Ker
Babinda

Trinity Beach
Palm Cove
Wangetti
Oak Beach
Port Douglas

Thanks.....Rob
Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Good and bad areas and recommendations

Extract from Pm from steandleigh (I'm sure she won't mind):

"One local told us not to live anywhere beginning with an 'M', e.g:- Manunda, Mooroobool, etc as they have a fairly big 'community housing' part to them.

Generally, IMO, the further north you go, the nicer it is, we has a look 'down south' of Cairns :- Bentley Park, White Rock, Forest Gardens, Woree etc and didn't like it at all, but people do live there, so its maybe not bad, just didn't suit us. One thing for sure, it's a helluva lot cheaper to rent and buy down there."

Hope this helps somewhat. Maybe send steandleigh a PM and ask if they know anything about the other suburbs/towns in your list.

We may be going to cairns ourselves but aren't going for another 3 years or so cos my wife is doing her nursing at the moment.

Andy

Last edited by cadman; Nov 24th 2004 at 7:55 am.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:56 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i know Port Douglas is nice, im paying a visit there on sunday too
ill bring u back some rock
Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

Port Douglas is a beautiful place, but very very humid. I spent five days there, did the usual touristy things, but struggled with the humidity level, it was sometimes 90%, with temps of 38....................ooh, just too hot for me. I like the heat, especially if there is a breeze, like in Perth, but really struggled up there. As I said though, very beautiful, quiet surroundings.

Tweena
Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:15 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Port Douglas is a beautiful spot and you get used to the humidity after a while. Difficulty is it's hard to commute to Cairns some times of the year and has few jobs in the area outside of tourism. Plus it's a bit of a goldfish bowl lifestyle.

Palm Cove is alot nearer to Cairns and offers something of Port Douglas and the City due to location. Great beach.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 9:19 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

We are still keeping our options open as to where we want to live.

Nice home first, then a job.

Do you know what the housing market is like around Cairns compared to other cities such as Brisbane, Melbourne etc...?

Rob

Originally Posted by diddy
Port Douglas is a beautiful spot and you get used to the humidity after a while. Difficulty is it's hard to commute to Cairns some times of the year and has few jobs in the area outside of tourism. Plus it's a bit of a goldfish bowl lifestyle.

Palm Cove is alot nearer to Cairns and offers something of Port Douglas and the City due to location. Great beach.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:53 am
Just Joined

jellyhead8000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, does anyone know of any nice areas well outside Brizzy, trying to keep coastal, facilities, but not big city. We have a 4 yr old, so in need of good school. We have been investigating Hervey Bay, Frazer Coast areas but any answers appreciated. Thanx Jill
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jellyhead8000
Hi, does anyone know of any nice areas well outside Brizzy, trying to keep coastal, facilities, but not big city. We have a 4 yr old, so in need of good school. We have been investigating Hervey Bay, Frazer Coast areas but any answers appreciated. Thanx Jill
How close to Brisbane, but in a quiet coastal area would you go ?

Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:34 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettytweena
Port Douglas is a beautiful place, but very very humid. I spent five days there, did the usual touristy things, but struggled with the humidity level, it was sometimes 90%, with temps of 38....................ooh, just too hot for me. I like the heat, especially if there is a breeze, like in Perth, but really struggled up there. As I said though, very beautiful, quiet surroundings.

Tweena
We spent 5 days there in the Autumn of 2003 and it alternated between heavy rain and torrential rain for the whole time we were there. On the plus side Kylie is said to holiday there sometimes.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:37 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Good and bad areas and recommendations

Originally Posted by worzel
We spent 5 days there in the Autumn of 2003 and it alternated between heavy rain and torrential rain for the whole time we were there. On the plus side Kylie is said to holiday there sometimes.

WHEYHEY Kylie hey ?

does Danni go there too.. She's much nicer...
Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:19 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Danni go there too.. She's much nicer...
No way!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

jellyhead8000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How close to Brisbane, but in a quiet coastal area would you go ?
Thanks for replying, the further away the better! As I said before been looking into hervey bay, maryborough but its so difficult to tell what the area itself is like. We want less built up, more rural feel. We're quite greenies. Dont mind it being in a tourist area, as long as not surrounded by hotels or caravan sites. Im a nurse so no difficulty in finding work anywhere. Any recommendations considered. Thanks Jill
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jellyhead8000
Thanks for replying, the further away the better! As I said before been looking into hervey bay, maryborough but its so difficult to tell what the area itself is like. We want less built up, more rural feel. We're quite greenies. Dont mind it being in a tourist area, as long as not surrounded by hotels or caravan sites. Im a nurse so no difficulty in finding work anywhere. Any recommendations considered. Thanks Jill
From what I have heard Hervey Bay sounds a good area. Our previous next door neighbours moved up there, and said it was the closest comparison to this area (Bayside) but before it begin to get popular here