British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Good Areas on the Sunshine Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/good-areas-sunshine-coast-330092/)

Dreamaway 10 Oct 7th 2005 10:13 am

Good Areas on the Sunshine Coast

Iam sure that others may have asked this before but just need more info if possible.
We are looking at heading out to the Sunshine Coast as soon as well sell the house.(that's another story).
Hubby has been offered a job in Cooroy.
We went over back in August to validate our visa's and stayed in Noosa.
We did not have very long and looked around the areas as much as possible.
We liked the look of Buderim although very big,Cooroy,Perigian Springs various others that I cannot remember to hand.
I do not want to sound like a total snob but we live in a good area now in the UK and to us its vital that we live in a good area in Oz even if we can only afford a small house.
Honest answers as to where is not too hot to live would be very much appreciated.
We have two young children and really do want to get it right for them.
Thanks for any feedback in advance.

sara-anthony3108 Oct 7th 2005 11:00 am

Re: Good Areas on the Sunshine Coast

we are looking at Mountain Creek .. I have a friend there who really likes it .. not been but schools suppose to be very good (if u have kids that is )
she said the area is really nice ..
thats if we go to that side .. our other option is south Perth .... in a really dilemma ..

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Iam sure that others may have asked this before but just need more info if possible.
We are looking at heading out to the Sunshine Coast as soon as well sell the house.(that's another story).
We liked the look of Buderim although very big,Cooroy,Perigian Springs various others that I cannot remember to hand.
I do not want to sound like a total snob but we live in a good area now in the UK and to us its vital that we live in a good area in Oz even if we can only afford a small house.
Honest answers as to where is not too hot to live would be very much appreciated.

shimba Oct 7th 2005 11:06 am

Wishing you all well coming over. Last August we moved into Buderim Meadows, very nice area not too close to the busy town centre, also Mountain Creek is good and both areas are in the Mountain Creek school zone which I'm sure you will hear how good it is. Almost every one on realestate.com recommend the school and my kids (7 & 9) love it and have settled in brilliantly. I was in the Cotswold in the UK and I'm missing my own little bit of heaven. Buderim not as good on the views. Perigian Springs is apparently full of lawyers and accountants, although as I said I'm in Buderim Meadows. Noosa is the trendy place to live in but its gets abit squashed.
Anyway good luck to you all and have fun on your travels.

Dreamaway 10 Oct 7th 2005 12:07 pm

Thankyou all for your replies.Mountain Creek school does have good press does't it.Buderim did look a nice area I have to say.
The only thing that put me off was that it was so big.
Just not used to that as we live in a small village by Oz comparisions.
On the other hand there is loads to do for the children so maybe a good idea.

Dreamaway 10 Oct 7th 2005 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by sara-anthony3108
we are looking at Mountain Creek .. I have a friend there who really likes it .. not been but schools suppose to be very good (if u have kids that is )
she said the area is really nice ..
thats if we go to that side .. our other option is south Perth .... in a really dilemma ..

Hi Sara thanks for your reply.
Hard decision to make Perth or the Sunshine Coast.If I had a close friend on the SC then I think it would swing it for me but you really need to get out to both areas and have a good look .
We visited Perth back in Feb Perth city is lovely it really is we went to Mandurah to see our second cousins a real up and coming area and once the rail link is complete Perth City will only be 40 mins away so I am lead to believe.
We just found that the Sunshine Coast appealed to us more as it was green and lush and rural in many places.
Having said that I prefer Perth city to Brisbane anyway.
Good Luck with your decision.

Rooksie Oct 7th 2005 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by shimba
Wishing you all well coming over. Last August we moved into Buderim Meadows, very nice area not too close to the busy town centre, also Mountain Creek is good and both areas are in the Mountain Creek school zone which I'm sure you will hear how good it is. Almost every one on realestate.com recommend the school and my kids (7 & 9) love it and have settled in brilliantly. I was in the Cotswold in the UK and I'm missing my own little bit of heaven. Buderim not as good on the views. Perigian Springs is apparently full of lawyers and accountants, although as I said I'm in Buderim Meadows. Noosa is the trendy place to live in but its gets abit squashed.
Anyway good luck to you all and have fun on your travels.

Hi - are there any jobs for plumbers on sunshine coast?? i have looked at internet job sites and cannot find a single one!?!?!! :confused: :(

Brisben Oct 7th 2005 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Hi - are there any jobs for plumbers on sunshine coast?? i have looked at internet job sites and cannot find a single one!?!?!! :confused: :(

who needs a plumber.

I need one Rooksie fancy a trip ooop north :rolleyes:

Rooksie Oct 7th 2005 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben
who needs a plumber.

I need one Rooksie fancy a trip ooop north :rolleyes:

i'll get back to you mate!!!!! :D

Brisben Oct 7th 2005 12:53 pm

i'll get back to you mate!!!!! :D

that's what they all say , even the local ones :mad:

cresta57 Oct 7th 2005 1:23 pm

Cooroy is a nice little place I like it there. Not too for from Noosa and it has a nice community spirit. Pomona is very similar

Dreamaway 10 Oct 7th 2005 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57
Cooroy is a nice little place I like it there. Not too for from Noosa and it has a nice community spirit. Pomona is very similar

When we were out there back in August we went to look at a development in Pomona each plot had 1.5 acres of land.Unfortunatley as we have not sold in the UK we had to walk away as we were not in a position to buy land.Cooroy and Pomona look good to us have you any idea on how good the schools are in the area.

sara-anthony3108 Oct 7th 2005 4:14 pm

hubby a builder same here cant fine any jobs advertised .. they say they r crying out for all trades .. one thing I know is money not brill and u need to get all sorts of docs before u can go self emplyed ..
where abts on sunshine coast r u looking at ..

molesey Oct 7th 2005 8:24 pm

We stayed in noosa in 2003, we looked at real estate there, it was fairly pricey, but it is a nice place.
We really like the sunshine coast, maloolabaa ( not sure how to spell it) my aunt and uncle live in buderim, they said that its the sort of place that you go to wind down and retire, but each to their own you may really like it, you may be better off renting for 6 months first to see if you like the area.
We can't make our minds up either, perth or sunshine coast? what do you think? :confused:

jad n rich Oct 7th 2005 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by sara-anthony3108
hubby a builder same here cant fine any jobs advertised .. they say they r crying out for all trades .. one thing I know is money not brill and u need to get all sorts of docs before u can go self emplyed ..
where abts on sunshine coast r u looking at ..

:confused: There arnt really jobs for builders advertised as builders work for themselves and tender for their own work. Work is contract to contract have you looked in the tender section. Most builders tho get their own work by ongoing contacts and advertising or display home.

Its pretty much the same for tradesmen too if they want to make money, sure there are jobs (award is $22 an hour) but if you want money you need to go out on your own, like anywhere experience, contacts and reputation are what brings in the moolah.

Its been said before any tradesmen anywhere need to check out the licence regualations for each state, builders usually get theirs after university, or years of aussie experience and holding a licence in a trade plus managerial experience or study, even then the study and financial audits are ongoing.

jad n rich Oct 7th 2005 8:45 pm

Areas Cooroy is a fab small town bit everyone knows everyone tho and most have known them since birth :D but thats like most small towns, had to laugh one of them Kenilworth the council put a bench outside the docs surgery doc had to get it removed as people were bringing a packed lunch and watching who went in and out.

Buderim and mountain creek are great, dont know about being for old people, both would be at least 50% young families probably more, the schools are so popular most have zones and more schools are being planned, all the good privates around there too. About 45 min drive from cooroy in rush hour tho theres often roadworks.

Perigian springs, OMG we lived there, yes its snobville and very desperate housewives but oh so middle of nowhere its cars out to get anywhere, its attractive in a upmarket aussie way lots of new houses with the bins all lined up in the designated place :rolleyes: . Theres lots of kangaroos there on the empty land and pom guests always thought they had landed in heaven, I thought I had died and gone to suburban hell :D

Not too hot - just dont go inland then stick near the beach side of things, dont expect to see the beach up near noosa tho unless you have a few million to spend :scared: Nice areas - easy like anywhere in OZ the more you pay generally the nicer the area is perceived to be.