Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Golf! Where is best Sydney or Melbourne?

Golf! Where is best Sydney or Melbourne?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future
Default Golf! Where is best Sydney or Melbourne?

Hi,

Got visa, now onto important issues...

Coming from Northern Ireland, and being surrounded by a multitude of great golf courses including 2 of the Top 5 in the world outside the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_Di...ited_States.22

I want to know where the best place to base myself for playing golf, Sydney or Melbourne??

Any help, greatly appreciated

Thanks,
B
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:50 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golf! Where is best Sydney or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by brutus
Hi,

Coming from Northern Ireland, and being surrounded by a multitude of great golf courses including 2 of the Top 5 in the world outside the US

I want to know where the best place to base myself for playing golf, Sydney or Melbourne??

Thanks,
B
Tasmania?

http://ausgolf.com.au/australias-top-100-public-access
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Brilliant link, thanks.

Looks like its gonna be hard to get a membership of a decent club organised in either location

The move could seriously be off!

Cheers,
B
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

there are lots of golf courses in Melbourne- not sure how good they are.
A mate belongs to a posh one on the Mornington and said it was excellent- but can't remember the name though.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:15 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant link, thanks.

Looks like its gonna be hard to get a membership of a decent club organised in either location

The move could seriously be off!

Cheers,
B
reckon you will be right

but for a treat and change of scenery plenty of people fly over here to Barnbougle makes a good boys weekend away from what I've observed

http://www.golfselect.com.au/armchai...?course_id=776
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Depends somewhat on your handicap! There are many courses here but few private clubs, and many of *them* allow outside play.

Unlike the Uk and States, many courses seem to be owned / run by companies or local authorities who then have arrangements with "clubs" to use the facilities. Some of these are more like drinking and gaming parlours than what we would call golf clubs!

There are half a dozen "clubs" around my area so I joined the more "private" one, which had got rid of all the pokie machine licences so was civilised....
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:29 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Hi,

Thanks,
B
Tasmania!!!! LOL Sorry didn't read your replys Possums.
No here is a Linkhttp://www.iseekgolf.com/courses/ to tell you about lots most of the Golf Courses in Australia.
Hope this helps but one of the best in ment to be on the North East coast of Tasmania, Ment to be very good and a bit like St Andrews.
Hope this helps, If I ever get time to take it up will tell you more about Tasmanian golf courses.
Regards
Gary

Last edited by GaryVFR8; Jan 11th 2008 at 12:31 am. Reason: Not reading the full thread
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:43 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Tasmania!!!! LOL Sorry didn't read your replys Possums.
No here is a Linkhttp://www.iseekgolf.com/courses/ to tell you about lots most of the Golf Courses in Australia.
Hope this helps but one of the best in ment to be on the North East coast of Tasmania, Ment to be very good and a bit like St Andrews.
Hope this helps, If I ever get time to take it up will tell you more about Tasmanian golf courses.
Regards
Gary
LOL thats ok. You should have a drive up to Barnbougle Gary its got a nice restaurant with good views, you dont have to play a game can just go for a meal, prob best to book. Then carry on out to Mt William to see the kangaroos
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:50 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at these in Melbourne
http://www.you.com.au/golfmel.htm
And more specifically ..here's a taster:
http://www.royalmelbourne.com.au/Home/home.aspx
http://www.ivanhoegolf.com.au/
http://www.growlingfroggolfcourse.com.au/
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,
B

And being from Ayrshire golf is also rather important. I'm pleased to say that there a number of great courses around Melbourne. Sadly I've not played anywhere nearly enough but the following are good courses, and in no particular order:

Long Island (Frankston South)
Eagle Ridge (Mornington Peninsula)
Moonah Links (Open Course & Legends Course) - Open course is superb, like a links course
Cape Shanck

I've noticed that golf here is very very relaxed and nowhere near as formal and strict as it is in the UK. Much more enjoyable - except for the flies and the snakes. Twilight also kicks in at 2pm on some courses which is great !

I'll also ask a few other golf nuts in the office.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Woah,

Superb feedback people, I've got plenty of links to get thru here.

I get the feeling the more Southern cities like Melbourne/Adelaide are looking a bit better for golf than Sydney, just from doing a google maps satellite look about, there seems to be more courses.

IT jobs usually mean city living, so looks like Melbourne might be the best option to enable me to still get out at the weekend for a round or two.

Thanks a lot,

B
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Possums
reckon you will be right

but for a treat and change of scenery plenty of people fly over here to Barnbougle makes a good boys weekend away from what I've observed

http://www.golfselect.com.au/armchai...?course_id=776
Barnbougle Dunes Golf Links looks class!
I'll be visting that one for sure
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:44 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

or try here - good enough for a PM that lost his job a few months ago
http://www.avondalegolfclub.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by walaj
or try here - good enough for a PM that lost his job a few months ago
http://www.avondalegolfclub.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml
Sorry to hear about the job, will you be long in finding something new out there?

That looks like a really nice course I have to say
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I get the feeling the more Southern cities like Melbourne/Adelaide are looking a bit better for golf than Sydney, just from doing a google maps satellite look about, there seems to be more courses.
Not quite - there are 12 golf courses just within the eastern and south-eastern suburbs of Sydney which is a relatively small area. There are, of course, dozens of other courses scattered across the city.

Gold courses within a 15 minute drive of where I live in Coogee include:
Eastlakes
The Lakes
Australian
Bonnie Doon
NSW
St Michaels
Coast
Randwick (public)
Moore Park (public)
Bondi (public)
Sydney
Woollahra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.