Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Goldfish - don't laugh

Goldfish - don't laugh

Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:14 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldfish - don't laugh

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
We have a problem in that our completely up for it nearly 8 year old has suddenly worked out that her beloved goldfish can't come with us. What a nightmare. She now is thinking that she doesn;t want to go. To us it's no biggie to us as it's certainly not going to influence our decision, but when you are 8 it's major.

Has anyone got any advice/experience with this one as surprise, surprise, I've not seen it on here before. No suggestions of flushing it down the bog please!!!

Cheers
Lorraine
Buy same looking fish ready for arrival? in your short term accomodation?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:29 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother is the most lovely thing but she had this habit of not telling me the truth to protect me. Long story short but it endedin tears and our relationship was very severely damaged for years until I was old enough to work it out.

I wouldnt bother lying, if you cant trust your mother who can you trust?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:49 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icarus
mine looks like Leslie Ash
LMFAO!!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:55 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
We have a problem in that our completely up for it nearly 8 year old has suddenly worked out that her beloved goldfish can't come with us. What a nightmare. She now is thinking that she doesn;t want to go. To us it's no biggie to us as it's certainly not going to influence our decision, but when you are 8 it's major.

Has anyone got any advice/experience with this one as surprise, surprise, I've not seen it on here before. No suggestions of flushing it down the bog please!!!

Cheers
Lorraine
Can't you tell her that it can't come on the plane and that it has to swim to Australia and then you should take it to your nearest seaside town and release it into the sea, with your daughter watching?

When you get to Australia break the news to her gently and subliminally by renting out a copy of 'Finding Nemo' for her?

Just a thought?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Just tell her it can't come to Australia because it would die en route, so it has to go to a friend. The idea of a goldfish rehoming party is cool, but don't be too eager because it could die in its new home, so leave it until you're ready to go. I managed to kill a tank full in 3 months because I was overeager about cleaning. Promise new pets once you are settled.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:27 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Tell her the fish has stay behind.

Fin.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
If you do a google of humane ways to euthanise a fish putting them in alcohol is actually one of the recomended methods. I once had to put a sick fish in tequilla, they die very quickly, and it is more humane than letting them suffer when they are sick. Certainly more humane than putting them in the freezer which many people do (freezer can't be as quick as alcohol).
We have had to put a couple down, and the recommended way is to put one in a small jar and add a few drops of oil of cloves to the water. It anaesthetises them, apparently: then you put in about 25% vodka which kills them after a quarter of an hour.

Costs a fortune in vodka....
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:02 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We have had to put a couple down, and the recommended way is to put one in a small jar and add a few drops of oil of cloves to the water. It anaesthetises them, apparently: then you put in about 25% vodka which kills them after a quarter of an hour.

Costs a fortune in vodka....
The mode of action of clove oil hasn't been established so it is unknown whether it is painless or not. Poikilothermic temperate animals like goldfish are naturally able to enter torpor when cold. They do this during the winter. So cooling them in a jar of water in the fridge is something their bodies are able to cope with. Then they can be transferred to te freezer.

The most natural way is to have a bigger fish eat them.

Not that I'm recommending killing this particular fish, of course. OP: Does no one you know have a goldfish pond?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:43 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
The mode of action of clove oil hasn't been established so it is unknown whether it is painless or not. Poikilothermic temperate animals like goldfish are naturally able to enter torpor when cold. They do this during the winter. So cooling them in a jar of water in the fridge is something their bodies are able to cope with. Then they can be transferred to te freezer.

The most natural way is to have a bigger fish eat them.

Not that I'm recommending killing this particular fish, of course. OP: Does no one you know have a goldfish pond?
Of course, if you listen to anglers, they say that fish don't feel pain anyway.

I suppose they have to argue that way to calm their concience?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:02 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Wol
Of course, if you listen to anglers, they say that fish don't feel pain anyway.

I suppose they have to argue that way to calm their concience?
I don't listen to anglers as they always seem have something 'fishy' to say!......booom...booom!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I don't listen to anglers as they always seem have something 'fishy' to say!......booom...booom!
Stop baiting me.....
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:07 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Wol
Stop baiting me.....
You almost got me 'hook, line and sinker' with that one...
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
You almost got me 'hook, line and sinker' with that one...
Casting about for a reeley funny line, then?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Casting about for a reeley funny line, then?
You are just trawling for laughs aren't you???
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I'm recommending killing this particular fish, of course. OP: Does no one you know have a goldfish pond?[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hadn't thought of this. Just wondering if a 'tank' fish would be able to cope with an outdoor lifestyle or would it be too much to affect her system? We do have a neighbour with a massive pond (albeit it many fish have been taken out by herons!), but I'm sure she would be fine about it.

Cheers
Lorraine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.