Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Goldfish - don't laugh

Goldfish - don't laugh

Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goldfish - don't laugh

We have a problem in that our completely up for it nearly 8 year old has suddenly worked out that her beloved goldfish can't come with us. What a nightmare. She now is thinking that she doesn;t want to go. To us it's no biggie to us as it's certainly not going to influence our decision, but when you are 8 it's major.

Has anyone got any advice/experience with this one as surprise, surprise, I've not seen it on here before. No suggestions of flushing it down the bog please!!!

Cheers
Lorraine
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldfish - don't laugh

Why not tell her it will come with you? Before you go you can either flush it or give it to someone else and when you get here tell her he's in quarantine. When she's not around drop by a pet shop and replace him. Hopefully she'll never be the wiser. You can ever say you'll buy him a nice new tank for his new home in Australia.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:37 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why not tell her it will come with you? Before you go you can either flush it or give it to someone else and when you get here tell her he's in quarantine. When she's not around drop by a pet shop and replace him. Hopefully she'll never be the wiser. You can ever say you'll buy him a nice new tank for his new home in Australia.
I gave my son's goldfish (who was ill anyway but just would not die ) 2 weeks before we left, a lot of cheap whisky in the fish tank, died pretty quickly and happy by the looks of it zooming about the tank, made the death easier for the lad to come home from school and see his little pet passed away from it's illness.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:57 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

On a serious note, I know I would never purposely kill my child's goldfish. Some one will take it on, the problem is more how you keep it positive for your child.

1. lie, say its coming with you and then be amazed when it never turns up - I wouldnt go for this myself
2. Arrange for new goldfish home. Sit down and talk to 8 year old about your concern that Australia would be too hot for said goldfish, about how atmospheric pressure affects goldfish and about how when you love something sometimes you have to be kind and consider their feelings. Have a goldfish rehoming party with balloons and friends around, facepaint them all as goldfish, take photos - ideally if the goldfish can go to a best friend that would be good.
3. say the goldfish jumped down the plughole to go party with Shaun the Sheep (my recent excuse when ours died after I gave them a shock changing the water too many times)

Good luck
Viv

Viv
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:03 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grossenbol
I gave my son's goldfish (who was ill anyway but just would not die ) 2 weeks before we left, a lot of cheap whisky in the fish tank, died pretty quickly and happy by the looks of it zooming about the tank, made the death easier for the lad to come home from school and see his little pet passed away from it's illness.

I can't think of a more agonising death for a fish. If it is true, shame on you.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Dorothy;7165766]Why not tell her it will come with you? Before you go you can either flush it or give it to someone else and when you get here tell her he's in quarantine.

DOROTHY!!! How can you even think of 'flushing it'!!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I'd go with the poster above - goldfish on the way but in quarantine. Get a new one when you arrive. Good luck. I'd never laugh. I might have to give me 2 dogs up.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;7165921]
Why not tell her it will come with you? Before you go you can either flush it or give it to someone else and when you get here tell her he's in quarantine.

DOROTHY!!! How can you even think of 'flushing it'!!!
I didn't say I would do it! I was simply giving her some options. Besides, at least I didn't suggest poisoning it with whiskey!!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, my mother revived quite a few fairground goldfish with a bit of whisky when I was a girl.

Ok serious - poor little girl. To us it's "just" a goldfish, but people said that about my cats too and I wouldn't have come without them. I'd be as honest as possible; kids are not daft and have long memories. I'd go for vivienne's 2nd suggestion I think.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Hey, my mother revived quite a few fairground goldfish with a bit of whisky when I was a girl.

Ok serious - poor little girl. To us it's "just" a goldfish, but people said that about my cats too and I wouldn't have come without them. I'd be as honest as possible; kids are not daft and have long memories. I'd go for vivienne's 2nd suggestion I think.
My Gran used Drambuie to resurrect a goldfish once - I remember cos I wanted to know what it tasted like....... one small glass and i was hooked for life! The goldfish thought it was pretty good too - lived for years after that!
My sister has used brandy to wake up a hamster before now as well.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke

I can't think of a more agonising death for a fish. If it is true, shame on you.
If you do a google of humane ways to euthanise a fish putting them in alcohol is actually one of the recomended methods. I once had to put a sick fish in tequilla, they die very quickly, and it is more humane than letting them suffer when they are sick. Certainly more humane than putting them in the freezer which many people do (freezer can't be as quick as alcohol).
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

I know this is going to sound really sad, but I had a goldfish for nearly 8 years (fan tail), was still healthy until I gave it to a friend, who managed to kill it in less than 2 weeks. I was most peeved about it. :curse:
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:59 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
If you do a google of humane ways to euthanise a fish putting them in alcohol is actually one of the recomended methods. I once had to put a sick fish in tequilla, they die very quickly, and it is more humane than letting them suffer when they are sick. Certainly more humane than putting them in the freezer which many people do (freezer can't be as quick as alcohol).
Does this work for humans too ? anyone know ?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:00 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

This would only work if all goldfish looked the same , as we all know they do not .

mine looks like Leslie Ash
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icarus
Does this work for humans too ? anyone know ?
If you had enough for you to swim in maybe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.