Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:05 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

I used to have a fairly strong preference for the sunshine coast, but now I think that both coasts are equally great.

GC has much more "going on", for sure.

Be aware that there not many employment opportunities on the sunshine coast.

If I had to pick one of the two, it would be the sunshine coast, but only just. And that's only because it is a bit quieter/less built up.

good luck !
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:52 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
When you say "more going on" at the Gold Coast, what sort of thing are you referring to? About the only thing the Gold Coast has more of is theme parks and tourists - both have good surfing beaches and cafes/restaurants etc. Sunshine Coast is probably slightly quieter although that is changing-20 years ago there was hardly any high rise building, now there is almost as much as on the Gold Coast.

In both cases the region stretches inland from the coast with the area west of the Pacific or Bruce highway being totally different to the area east of the highway.
I agree - if you can qualify 'more going on' that might help you decide, i can mainly speak for the sunny coast living in caloundra but coming from a big city in the uk to a small 'town' area like the sunshine coast is a huge difference in the 'going on' stakes e.g. most things are closed in caloundra and the surrounding area by 730 on a school night! If you want to eat out do it early - before 8.30, although sometimes you might find a bar/cafe open later especially around mooloolaba maybe noosa, although even on what you might think are going out nights i.e fri and sat there are not many places to till the wee hours.... this is not limited to late nights and eating out, getting milk that you forgot after 9pm or 5pm on a weekend will require a trip to the 24-hour garage or the spa local to pay a lot more for it... the coast is getting a lot better, there's lots of places providing entertainment, live music etc, lots of regular music festivals too... i suppose when i compare it to my visits to the gold coast....well its not really comparable, gold coast around the tourist areas such as main beach/broadbeach etc have so much more to offer the visitor - perhaps by way of more choice, wider choice, late night choice....and then there are the theme parks, great value if you get an annual pass by the way - the sunny coast cant compete with those only offering aussie world and dare i mention top shots fun park!
As a sunshine coaster i think we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world, i'm sure GC'ers would think the same thing, its probably about checking each one out and the culture and the lifestyle and the pace of life and see which one suits you...
Attached Thumbnails Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast-walk80.jpg