Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Jay77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

We (family of 4, one teen and one child) are hoping to take a reccie to either the Goldcoast or Sunshine Coast next year, and we're having a tough job deciding between the two.

We don't want to stay in Brisbane itself, as if we moved it wouldn't be for us based on what we know of the place, but could happily live around the Goldcoast or Sunshine Coast.

Looking at Google Earth, there seems to be much more going on/stuff to do on the Goldcoast. Is this a fair assumption? Also, is it true you can't go in the Sea for a few months of the year because of the jellies?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:20 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by Jay77
We (family of 4, one teen and one child) are hoping to take a reccie to either the Goldcoast or Sunshine Coast next year, and we're having a tough job deciding between the two.

We don't want to stay in Brisbane itself, as if we moved it wouldn't be for us based on what we know of the place, but could happily live around the Goldcoast or Sunshine Coast.

Looking at Google Earth, there seems to be much more going on/stuff to do on the Goldcoast. Is this a fair assumption? Also, is it true you can't go in the Sea for a few months of the year because of the jellies?
It would be very hard to say which is better from pictures, i surgest that you spend time in both places because what is good for one family might not be what you want as a family
The sunshine and gold coast places have many different areas to them with different feelings and things to do
You will also need to look at living costs as these can vary from place to place, ie the time and cost involved in getting to work, public tansport schools etc
Go out and explore and talk to as many people as you can that live in the places you are looking at but do your own looking around and see how you feel as a family
with regards to the blue bottles im affraid you will get them on the gold coast and yes they do hurt when they sting
all the best in your findings in australia
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

What he said.

Plus it rains more on the Sunshine Coast. Really.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a time of year when you can't go in the sea because of blue bottles, the beaches may be closed on the odd day because a pile of them have come in but they don't stay long. You must be thinking of Cairns FNQ.

If you're coming for a reccie I'd do a week or so on the Sunshine and a week or so on the Gold. Pictures, Google maps etc won't help really, you need to be on the ground and see for yourself. Probably a lot depends on what work you do although there's currently high unemployment on the Gold and possibly not great on the Sunshine.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

There isn't too much distance between the two really, I would do a trip to both. I find the sunshine coast prettier than gold coast. I work in the gold coast and get to drive around a lot for work, I couldn't live there. Traffic is terrible, mainly because of the road configuration. Saying that most of my colleagues live there and they love it. Just depends on what your after. I really think you have to try both. How come you have said no to Brisbane? It's a big place but if it's beaches your after I get that. At the end of the day I would check the job market and consider that in your choice. Oh I live between gold coast and Brisbane by the way!! Happy planning
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Jay77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice everyone.

We don't think it'd be feasible to move between the two on a short-reccie (2-3 weeks) as funds are limited. We need to choose one before looking for somewhere to stay.

We will of course be visiting both places, but would need to base ourselves in the one where there's more to do/see to keep the kids sane.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought you'd end up doing more driving if you stick to the one coast. Driving between the two is a pain and bloody hard at certain times of the day/week. The fastest drive on clear roads would be 2-3 hours each way. I'm not sure how it would work out cheaper to do one lot of accomodation but loads of boring driving. One week on the Sunshine then a week maybe two on the Gold with the theme parks inbetween checking out the area sounds a lot easier and less stressful to me but I guess we're all different.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

Hi
I agree with Moneypenny, i live on the Sunny Coast and i wouldnt want to be driving between the two coasts. We come down to the Goldie when we do the parks and thats enough driving in busy times. I personally dont think it would be any dearer staying a week or so in each. Depending what time of year you come, you will be wanting to look at schools and areas, much easier if its where you are staying.

Anne marie
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It would be like checking the Birmingham area out whilst staying in a hotel in Southampton.

The driving time and distance is roughly the same as Gold Coast to Sunshine Coast.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:11 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "more going on" at the Gold Coast, what sort of thing are you referring to? About the only thing the Gold Coast has more of is theme parks and tourists - both have good surfing beaches and cafes/restaurants etc. Sunshine Coast is probably slightly quieter although that is changing-20 years ago there was hardly any high rise building, now there is almost as much as on the Gold Coast.

In both cases the region stretches inland from the coast with the area west of the Pacific or Bruce highway being totally different to the area east of the highway.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Thats the attraction of living / staying in Brisbane it's only about 1 hours drive to either and when you go you are not fighting traffic. Got to agree with all other comments as well. Driving from SC to GC or vice versa (approx 200Kms each way) would be a nightmare as you would fighting the commuters trying to get to work in Brisbane. You also have easy access to the islands offshore and the hinterland.

Brisbane as a holiday destination I don't rate but as a place to live it's first class and so central to everything. Only thing Brisbane lacks is a beach (I don't count Streets beach Southbank)
Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pick Sunshine Coast over Gold Coast to live but most jobs will be on the Gold Coast.

I've heard the Gold Coast is quite economically depressed at the moment too so jobs in both places could be hard to come by.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay77

Are you in I.T ? Have you considered Perth? From your criteria I take it beach life is important to you but if in I.T. having access to a city is also important...Perth possibly fits the bill better than gold or sunny coasts in this regard...or do you have other criteria?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Do a week in each, you'll need a car anyway so just do the trip once. SC and GC are both great but different and it depends on what you like. I live on the Gold Coast but work in Bris, the commute is a pain but I prefer to live there.

You could visit both from Bris an hour or so in either direction but hotels are much more expensive there. If you have to pick one to stay in I'd say there are more accommodation options, and touristy things to do on the Gold Coast.

Neither are great for jobs at the moment.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:35 am
Just Joined

penmay is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Goldcoast vs Sunshine Coast

I would definitely suggest Sunshine Coast. Much more family friendly. Gold Coast has a lot of high rise apartment living and it's a bit in the doldrums.
(which means if you are buying it will be cheaper but there is not much soul to the place) Also, it is not a long drive to visit all the "Worlds" (i.e. Sea World etc) from the Sunshine Coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.