Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Goldcoast - any useful tel nos/addresses????

Goldcoast - any useful tel nos/addresses????

Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default Goldcoast - any useful tel nos/addresses????

Hi, we arrived in the goldcoast on friday and are staying at nobby beach for our 1st week. we haven't got long to get lots of things sorted out as my OH starts work in a week and we still need to secure a longer rental, a car (as we only have car hire until friday) and the cats come out of quarantine pretty soon.

Any help would be appreciated greatly, as we have no internet and it's hard to search for everything we need in an internet cafe. we are really looking for some addresses and telephone numbers to make life a little easier and to make it quicker for us to sort things out. So if anyone has already started afresh on the goldcoast and can offer a bit of info to answer any of my questions, that would be great.

1. Can anyone tell me where to buy a cheap and reliable car from. Looking at under $5000 until we get more sorted with our finances?

2. Anyone know the address of a medicare office near nobby beach, broadbeach,burleigh, southport (OH working there)?

3. As soon as we get a long term rental, it prob won't be furnished so does anyone know an address/ tel no for anyone who rents furniture packages week to week or monthly (until ours arrives)?

4.Where is the cheapest place to buy washer/dryer/fridges from? Anyone know of a slight seconds that may be cheaper eg ones that are dented or scratched?

5. Where is the best place to get flat screen tvs at the best prices.

6. can anyone suggest a good insurance company for when i buy a car? If so have u got a telephone number? When i buy a car is there anything else i need to do apart from insure it?

7. Which is the best high speed internet provider, again have you got a telephone number?

8. Who is the best utilities provider? Again if you have any telephone numbers it would be appreciated.

9. Anyone know of any wifi spots between southport and burleigh so i can research stuff at my leisure, without it costing a small fortune - i'm already haemoraging money left right and centre!

We are trying to get things sorted as quickly as possible so if u can answer just one of my questions that would be fantastic.

No matter how organised you think you are b4 u arrive it's never enough! There's nothing like flying by the seat of ur pants! Nevermind, there's nothing i can do about it now apart from get on with it. It was so difficult to get everything sorted at home before we left that there were only so many hours in the day to try and plan for when we arrived.

thanks again, lisa

ps i think we bought the manchester rain with us! sorry!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldcoast - any useful tel nos/addresses????

First off don't apologise for the rain. It's the storm season and we need all the rain we can get.

Secondly - whoa! that's a list and a half. I'll do what I can off the top of my head.

Medicare office in Southport is in Australia Fair on level one. There's also one in Pac Fair. They are the only two near you.

There's a shop called DEC on the Bundall Road which does reasonably priced very slightly damaged white goods. We bought our fridge from them and all that was wrong was a tiny dent in the back corner which obviously can't be seen.

Flat screen tv - you need to check out Good Guys (one up at Upton Street, Bundall, near Harvey Norman estate. Also Clive Peeters further along Burmuda Street - leads straight on from Bundall Road going south and Clive Anthony's - also along that road. Get them to give you the best price and then go to the others to get a better price. Don't bother with Harvey Norman. Their service is rubbish and although they say they will price match, personally I don't think it's worth the aggro of using them.

Insurance wise - RACQ are good. If you don't have time to chase around getting loads of quotes then go with one and look at changing further down the line. Most of them offer discounts if you have more than one policy with them. RACQ have two offices up your way - one in Aus Fair again and one on Nerang st, Southport. Their phone number is 13 1905

Can't really help with cheap motors - they are all over the place but if you go into a supermarket (Woolies prob, not seen it at Coles) you can pick up a free trader mag from the front of the shop which has lots of dealers that do secondhand).

You need a safety certificate if buying a secondhand car before insurance. When you get the rego you have to get basic insurance (CTP) with it but you still need to get fuller insurance. You will have to go to QLD Transport to register the car. The ones that do that nearest you are at Stockland Burleigh Heads and the Corner of Wardoo street and Nerang-southport Street. There are other QLD transport offices but they don't all do the registration bit.

If you are going into a rental, you won't have to worry about the utilities provider, but around here it's always been Energex but ours recently was taken over by Origin but the bills still go to Energex. Origin's number is 13 24 63

Internet - I use iinet and are very pleased with them. Their number is 131917

I'll see what I can find on any other stuff but this should keep you going. Someone else will be along to give more suggestions.

If you don't already have one, get yourselves a UBD refidex of Gold Coast. As well as the maps, they also have listings with map references of lots of useful businesses/government offices etc.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Oct 29th 2007 at 2:04 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
First off don't apologise for the rain. It's the storm season and we need all the rain we can get.

Secondly - whoa! that's a list and a half. I'll do what I can off the top of my head.

Medicare office in Southport is in Australia Fair on level one.

There's a shop called DEC on the Bundall Road which does reasonably priced very slightly damaged white goods. We bought our fridge from them and all that was wrong was a tiny dent in the back corner which obviously can't be seen.

Flat screen tv - you need to check out Good Guys (one up at Upton Street, Bundall, near Harvey Norman estate. Also Clive Peeters further along Bundall Road after it becomes Burmuda Street and Clive Anthony's - also along that road. Get them to give you the best price and then go to the others to get a better price. Don't bother with Harvey Norman. Their service is rubbish and although they say they will price match, personally I don't think it's worth the aggro of using them.

Insurance wise - RACQ are good. If you don't have time to chase around getting loads of quotes then go with one and look at changing further down the line. Most of them offer discounts if you have more than one policy with them. RACQ have two offices up your way - one in Aus Fair again and one on Nerang st, Southport. Their phone number is 13 1905

Can't really help with cheap motors - they are all over the place but if you go into a supermarket (Woolies prob, not seen it at Coles) you can pick up a free trader mag from the front of the shop which has lots of dealers that do secondhand).

You need a safety certificate if buying a secondhand car before insurance. When you get the rego you have to get basic insurance (CTP) with it but you still need to get fuller insurance. You will have to go to QLD Transport to register the car. The ones that do that nearest you are at Stockland Burleigh Heads and the Corner of Wardoo street and Nerang-southport Street. There are other QLD transport offices but they don't all do the registration bit.

If you are going into a rental, you won't have to worry about the utilities provider.

Internet - I use iinet and are very pleased with them. Their number is 131917

I'll see what I can find on any other stuff but this should keep you going. Someone else will be along to give more suggestions.

If you don't already have one, get yourselves a UBD refidex of Gold Coast. As well as the maps, they also have listings with map references of lots of useful businesses/government offices etc.
There is a cafe in Chevron Rennasance and a coffee shop in Australia Fair by the bus stop which both do Wifi.

We got a good deal with a car but bought privately as this worked out much cheaper than the dealers. We found it on the net, not sure which site, but autopoint.com.au seems popular, and there's also autotrader and cars in the gold coast bulletin (www.goldcoast.com.au) we saved a fortune buying privately and found it almost impossible to buy a decent car for $5k from the dealers

Good luck

sambo n est
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just found a web site that lists wifi spots and there are a few around the Oasis shopping centre in broadbeach. The website is http://www.jiwire.com/search-wifi-ho...ity_id=3447192
and most Maccas have them. Can't see any listed for Nobbys but Ocean Beach Tourist Park on Hythe Street in Miami has free access as does Burleigh Beach Tourist Park at Goodwin Terrace, Burleigh.

I really must get on with an assignment I have, but this is so much more interesting to me I may have to blame you if I don't get the assignment in on time

Edit: Just found this listing for free wifi on Gold Coast http://www.freewifi.com.au/listing_s...hp?region_id=1

Right assignment. NOW!

Last edited by moneypenny20; Oct 29th 2007 at 2:22 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

qwertyuiop will become famous soon enoughqwertyuiop will become famous soon enough

Brisbane road Labrador is where all the budget car yards are......you can make an offer with most so sort of use the displayed price as a guide only. Dont use their finance packages, better to go with the banks for that. Welcome to the GC and dont forget theres plenty to see west of the Motorway.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisas
Hi, we arrived in the goldcoast on friday and are staying at nobby beach for our 1st week. we haven't got long to get lots of things sorted out as my OH starts work in a week and we still need to secure a longer rental, a car (as we only have car hire until friday) and the cats come out of quarantine pretty soon.

Any help would be appreciated greatly, as we have no internet and it's hard to search for everything we need in an internet cafe. we are really looking for some addresses and telephone numbers to make life a little easier and to make it quicker for us to sort things out. So if anyone has already started afresh on the goldcoast and can offer a bit of info to answer any of my questions, that would be great.

1. Can anyone tell me where to buy a cheap and reliable car from. Looking at under $5000 until we get more sorted with our finances?

2. Anyone know the address of a medicare office near nobby beach, broadbeach,burleigh, southport (OH working there)?

3. As soon as we get a long term rental, it prob won't be furnished so does anyone know an address/ tel no for anyone who rents furniture packages week to week or monthly (until ours arrives)?

4.Where is the cheapest place to buy washer/dryer/fridges from? Anyone know of a slight seconds that may be cheaper eg ones that are dented or scratched?

5. Where is the best place to get flat screen tvs at the best prices.

6. can anyone suggest a good insurance company for when i buy a car? If so have u got a telephone number? When i buy a car is there anything else i need to do apart from insure it?

7. Which is the best high speed internet provider, again have you got a telephone number?

8. Who is the best utilities provider? Again if you have any telephone numbers it would be appreciated.

9. Anyone know of any wifi spots between southport and burleigh so i can research stuff at my leisure, without it costing a small fortune - i'm already haemoraging money left right and centre!

We are trying to get things sorted as quickly as possible so if u can answer just one of my questions that would be fantastic.

No matter how organised you think you are b4 u arrive it's never enough! There's nothing like flying by the seat of ur pants! Nevermind, there's nothing i can do about it now apart from get on with it. It was so difficult to get everything sorted at home before we left that there were only so many hours in the day to try and plan for when we arrived.

thanks again, lisa

ps i think we bought the manchester rain with us! sorry!
If you are hemorrhaging money left right and centre make sure you get your priorities right and get that flat screen tv as soon as possible.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Hi Lisa,

if you need more time in furnished accommodation to get sorted PM me as our apartment in Broadbeach is available 7th Nov - 17th Nov

cheers

Mark
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Hire Me Wheels at the BP garage on Brisbane Road, Biggera Waters is cheapest car hire on the coast,look up their phone number in the yellowpages, they have older hire cars but are cheap. Also check out the car auctions and ebay.com.au for cheap cars

Internet depends on where you rent as coverage varies a lot and you can't rely on getting broadband in all places we have wireless broadband as theres no other option where we live. We previously used Westnet and they were good but can't get them here.

Also go to weekend garage sales (get The Bulletin very early on Saturday for addresses)and again check out ebay rather than hire furniture till your shipping arrives

All the best with the move you will be glad of the rain when you have been here a while and had months of sun!!

Last edited by sherie_in_oz; Oct 31st 2007 at 12:53 pm.