Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast - what do you recommend?

Gold Coast - what do you recommend?

Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Gold Coast - what do you recommend?

We're going to the Gold Coast for 10 days in Jan. What do you recommend we should really do there and what should we give a miss??? (we have a 4 yr old boy).

At the moment, I have only booked the hotel (Radisson, Palm Meadows) which is away from the coast. For starters, we have in mind to visit Sea World, go to the beach and maybe play a bit of golf apart from lolling next to the pool with a book (hopefully not like Holiday Showdown).

Other things that interest me are: 1. are there any good shops 2. not to be missed cafes or restaurants???? oh yes. and is Brisbane worth a visit???

We're driving up there, via Tamworth. Can't wait - I love road trips.

Last edited by chocaholic; Dec 28th 2004 at 6:22 am.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Gold Coast - what do you recommend?

Originally Posted by chocaholic
1. are there any good shops
The Pacific Fair shopping complex, (Queensland’s largest shopping centre?) with it's specialty store selling handmade chocolates.

or

Chocolate Expo, 100 Musgrave Street, Kirra Coolangatta Qld Phone 07 5536 8885
Excellent savings on gift boxed chocolates, blocks, novelties and more. Watch chocolates being made.
May be worth a phone call first, as this may be old information

Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:46 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

We're going to the Gold Coast for 10 days in Jan. What do you recommend we should really do there and what should we give a miss??? (we have a 4 yr old boy).

At the moment, I have only booked the hotel (Radisson, Palm Meadows) which is away from the coast. For starters, we have in mind to visit Sea World, go to the beach and maybe play a bit of golf apart from lolling next to the pool with a book (hopefully not like Holiday Showdown).

Other things that interest me are: 1. are there any good shops 2. not to be missed cafes or restaurants???? oh yes. and is Brisbane worth a visit???

Seaworld is a must, especially with the Polar Bears and Shark Bay.

Pacific Fair at Broadbeach is HUGE! Over 100,000 people were there on Sunday for the first day of the sales

Lots of other theme parks - depends what you like doing.

Brisbane is worth a look-see if you've never been before. A trip out on the river, perhaps down to the Lone Pine koala sanctuary to hold a koala and handfeed a kangaroo or two.

You might find this handy;
http://www.goldcoastaustralia.com/
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Incidentally how long is the drive from Sydney to Brisbane ? ( hours/Km's)
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:37 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JJL family
Incidentally how long is the drive from Sydney to Brisbane ? ( hours/Km's)

About 1000km - 10 hours.

I did it over 6 days to get everything in.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Try the Hard Rock at Surfers for a meal one evening. There are some very nice seafood restaurants on the Gold Coast.
My kids love seaworld. They have some new baby polar bears and there is a new dugongs exhibit. We have got yearly passes as the kids loved it so much.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Gold Coast - what do you recommend?

Hi there,
Brissy is worth a visit, Southbank in particular is lovely, and have go on the paddle steamer up the river, also it is worth popping to Sanctuary Cove to see how the other half live

If you are after a top meal, try the "Ashmore Steak and Seafood restaurant, real value for money, the meals are beautiful.
A visit to the "Broadwater" is a must as well, over the road from "Australia Fair" another huge shopping centre.
I could go on and on
In fact we love the Gold Coast, and thats we are settling there.

D
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all your tips - much better than my old tourist guide to Australia!

So now we'll definitely be going to Seaworld, the Pacific Fair (possibly try the handmade choccies ) and go on the river in Brissie as well as trying out the restaurants you suggested. Roll on January!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi there,
also it is worth popping to Sanctuary Cove to see how the other half live

D
I'd looked also at this place on the net, when booking our holiday - and it was well above our budget.......how did you know )
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by debsy
there is a new dugongs exhibit.
Is a dugong the same as a manatee?
Old Dec 28th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mlbonner
About 1000km - 10 hours.

I did it over 6 days to get everything in.

When we first came over to Oz on holiday, we drove up to Noosa, so it took a little longer - but we stopped at Port Macquarie on the way up (we'd left in the afternoon). On the way to Noosa, we followed a more coastal route and on the way back more inland route, as far as I can remember.

This time we'll be stopping at Tamworth on the way there - there's a "boutique" motel we stopped at before with a good restaurant. I'm guessing we'll be driving approx. 5 hours each day - so that we arrive at checking-in time - as far as the hotel is concerned.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:11 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Gold Coast - what do you recommend?

Only just seen your post... how jealous am I ... can you fit me in your case????? LOL

Here's my recc'd list for you ........

Restaurants: Ashmore Steak & Seafood (yummy yummy - huge portions!), Cav's Steakhouse (Amazing Steaks) just off the end of Marina Parade, and the Hard Rock in Surfers is really nice too

Days Out: Seaworld, Movie World, Dream World, Wet'n'Wild, Curumbin Wildlife Sanctuary on the Gold Coast & and if you hire a car..... The Big Pineapple, The Ginger Factory, Australia Zoo, Underwater World and Eumundi Market (Wednesday & Saturday) on the Sunshine Coast.......

Shopping: Australia Fair, Pacific Fair, plus the local shopping centres are good too - we went to Ashmore City and a few others here & there....... for bargains go to HARBOUR TOWN or TRADE SECRET......

Don't forget the great Saturday/Sunday markets at Broadbeach, Main Beach, etc and also Carrarra Market - that is on every week & is EXCELLENT!

Well I hope this helped & that you have a WICKED time! Give my love to the surf board benches outside Charlies at Broadbeach - tell them we will see them soon!!!!!

Love C
xxx
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Only just seen your post... how jealous am I ... can you fit me in your case????? LOL

Here's my recc'd list for you ........

Restaurants: Ashmore Steak & Seafood (yummy yummy - huge portions!), Cav's Steakhouse (Amazing Steaks) just off the end of Marina Parade, and the Hard Rock in Surfers is really nice too

Days Out: Seaworld, Movie World, Dream World, Wet'n'Wild, Curumbin Wildlife Sanctuary on the Gold Coast & and if you hire a car..... The Big Pineapple, The Ginger Factory, Australia Zoo, Underwater World and Eumundi Market (Wednesday & Saturday) on the Sunshine Coast.......

Shopping: Australia Fair, Pacific Fair, plus the local shopping centres are good too - we went to Ashmore City and a few others here & there....... for bargains go to HARBOUR TOWN or TRADE SECRET......

Don't forget the great Saturday/Sunday markets at Broadbeach, Main Beach, etc and also Carrarra Market - that is on every week & is EXCELLENT!

Well I hope this helped & that you have a WICKED time! Give my love to the surf board benches outside Charlies at Broadbeach - tell them we will see them soon!!!!!

Love C
xxx
Wow - thanks for all your recommendations! Looks like you had a fantastic time when you were there. & We'll be sure to say hi to the benches outside Charlies
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:28 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

I did the brisbane to sydney drive a long time ago (1993) and it took me 13 hours because i kept stopping at everything i wanted to see.
I also missed alot i wanted to see.
Unfortunately but amusingly so I happened to refuel at the ayres rock roadhouse!!! A Leyland brothers thing i think.

The drive it fan bloody tatsic, although i would say that coz when i was crossing the harbour bridge the QEII was in harbour and it was swapping fireworks with the opera house - welcome to sydney thinks me!!!!! if only!!!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:30 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Sorry for replying twice

If you can please visit Tweed Heads and Coolangata
See if you can visit tweed heads when there is a time difference and have a drink in one state when the other state has shut up shop! it's great - weird but good fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.