Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast unemployment rate rises to 8.1%

Gold Coast unemployment rate rises to 8.1%

Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:36 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gold Coast unemployment rate rises to 8.1%

Figures from the ABS confirm what many people on the GC have been predicting for a while - the jobless rate has risen from 6.5% to 8.1% in March.
The national rate is 4.9% confirming a two track economy - one in mining (booming) the other (suffering).
In the shopping centre my business is situated 4 shops have closed since Xmas and a visit to any shopping centre on the Coast (large or small) will provide evidence in empty tenancies.
I saw evidence of the downturn a while ago when a new supermaket started recruiting and 100's turned up http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691023
I post this as not a warning but a reality check for anyone heading out thinking that getting a job will be a formality..
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice
Default Re: Gold Coast unemployment rate rises to 8.1%

The gold coast (business + jobs) is doing so bad. It must be tough to be there right now.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:35 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
Figures from the ABS confirm what many people on the GC have been predicting for a while - the jobless rate has risen from 6.5% to 8.1% in March.
The national rate is 4.9% confirming a two track economy - one in mining (booming) the other (suffering).
In the shopping centre my business is situated 4 shops have closed since Xmas and a visit to any shopping centre on the Coast (large or small) will provide evidence in empty tenancies.
I saw evidence of the downturn a while ago when a new supermaket started recruiting and 100's turned up http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691023
I post this as not a warning but a reality check for anyone heading out thinking that getting a job will be a formality..
Hey Carberry,

Cheers for the heads up, i will be arriving sometime in the next month to a maximum of eighteen months, depending on personal things and then visa expiry.

I will be looking for security work and taxi driving work, what do you think, by the way i will have to do the training for both. But i will be competing in the unskilled low paid enviroment, would you still do it in my shoes or maybe look at other regions in Australia.

Its just i love the Gold Coast, and i like Surfers. The positives for me are that it seems two bedroom fully furnished rentals/apartments in and around Surfers are coming down in price and are freely available. What happens to realestate prices does not interest me at all, but if it helps brings rents down and makes more property available bring on the falls.

As always Keith.........................
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:17 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Hey Carberry,

Cheers for the heads up, i will be arriving sometime in the next month to a maximum of eighteen months, depending on personal things and then visa expiry.

I will be looking for security work and taxi driving work, what do you think, by the way i will have to do the training for both. But i will be competing in the unskilled low paid enviroment, would you still do it in my shoes or maybe look at other regions in Australia.

Its just i love the Gold Coast, and i like Surfers. The positives for me are that it seems two bedroom fully furnished rentals/apartments in and around Surfers are coming down in price and are freely available. What happens to realestate prices does not interest me at all, but if it helps brings rents down and makes more property available bring on the falls.

Hey Kieth

I would never tell people what to do with their lives - I'm just putting some info on the realities of the job market at the moment. Our business has 450 - 500 customers per day during the week (over 700 weekends) and speaking to many people I get the same impression, businesses are struggling, the ones in jobs are often having hours cut / more tasks given and people are not spending. 3 of the 4 businesses that have closed in my shopping centre were reliant on discretionary spending' - restaurants and take aways - which indicates that people are cutting back.
We took a huge gamble relocating from UK and were lucky - I hope you give it a go too. Good luck and if you are on the GC mid May checkout the curry night....
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:19 am
Decreased member

Hey Carberry,

If all else fails have you considered a come back
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:29 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Kieth

I would never tell people what to do with their lives - I'm just putting some info on the realities of the job market at the moment. Our business has 450 - 500 customers per day during the week (over 700 weekends) and speaking to many people I get the same impression, businesses are struggling, the ones in jobs are often having hours cut / more tasks given and people are not spending. 3 of the 4 businesses that have closed in my shopping centre were reliant on discretionary spending' - restaurants and take aways - which indicates that people are cutting back.
We took a huge gamble relocating from UK and were lucky - I hope you give it a go too. Good luck and if you are on the GC mid May checkout the curry night....
Cheers mate..........

Definately coming back to Oz, when, in the hands of the gods, i suppose its a winger, just have to play it by ear, if it don't work then i will have to put my hand down with a firm foot and get back to Blighty..................

Keith...........
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:04 pm
Decreased member

Cheers mate..........

Definately coming back to Oz, when, in the hands of the gods, i suppose its a winger, just have to play it by ear, if it don't work then i will have to put my hand down with a firm foot and get back to Blighty..................

Keith...........

Great, positive attitude - respect.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:13 pm
Decreased member

Not getting much better http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Old May 21st 2011, 10:48 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

The GC is having a effect on spending every where, the hotels are desperate for your money but as said before people dont have a good feeling, when i listen to people talk every one says that dont know what will happen in the next few months or next year.
The uneasy feeling is having a effect on housing and you can see house prices falling as people want to get out of the housing market but then this is pushing up rent in some areas.
Im sure its the same in many other places in and around australia or the world, its not a nice feeling at present.
Old May 21st 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Even in Sydney I notice a pressure on jobs. The majority of jobs in my sector are now contract positions, very hard to get anything permanent at the moment. A 2 year contract is about as good as it gets right now and if a permanent one does come up then it is VERY competitive indeed!
Old May 21st 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jon77
Even in Sydney I notice a pressure on jobs. The majority of jobs in my sector are now contract positions, very hard to get anything permanent at the moment. A 2 year contract is about as good as it gets right now and if a permanent one does come up then it is VERY competitive indeed!
Oh! we are about to jump to Sydney on 175 and now you guys are scaring me..
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:40 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MAR001
Oh! we are about to jump to Sydney on 175 and now you guys are scaring me..
I have just built a house in Brisbane and the trade is very bad at the present time, jobs are not very secure, you are taken on as a job by job basses and that does not help in the long term, i feel as australia is on a knife edge , either we will gather speed and get the good feeling back or we will fall over and their will be a lot of homeless and unhappy people with thousands wiped off the value of their homes.
Yes we have got a mining boom but it is not filtering down to the states or districts that have not got mines in them or near them.
my advice to anyone at present is "better the devil you know, than the one you dont"
if you are happy and comfortable in your present life and surroundings then stay put and watch and see for a year, you might save yourself a lot of stress
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Daughters Dual Restaurant owning friend from the Sunshine Coast is back in Melbourne... really poured a bucket on the Authorities and their Draconian liquor licensing laws ... especially the 34 Decibel live music act, which has actively stopped her building up the kind of business she is used to here in Vic... Lorne and Melbourne... so that will be a few jobs coming South.

Boy did she put a rocket up Queenslands laws.

I've never encountered such a go getting person as this Girl.

Queenslands loss by quite a considerable factor. Going to be supplying healthy organic lunch boxes to Melbourne corporations...God knows how she sorted that out within 14 days. Contacts probably.
Old May 22nd 2011, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

delete.

Last edited by Steve2009; May 22nd 2011 at 3:26 am.
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trevski
I have just built a house in Brisbane and the trade is very bad at the present time, jobs are not very secure, you are taken on as a job by job basses and that does not help in the long term, i feel as australia is on a knife edge , either we will gather speed and get the good feeling back or we will fall over and their will be a lot of homeless and unhappy people with thousands wiped off the value of their homes.
Yes we have got a mining boom but it is not filtering down to the states or districts that have not got mines in them or near them.
my advice to anyone at present is "better the devil you know, than the one you dont"
if you are happy and comfortable in your present life and surroundings then stay put and watch and see for a year, you might save yourself a lot of stress
We are in London and believe me, the UK economy is gloomy and not a sing of recovery in the short-term. My wife is doing well with a job that is enough to pay the bills, after long time I haven't found a job after several interviews in blue-chips. I am finishing a second masters degree to maintain myself occupied and still in the hunt. Our visa conditions here is something that doesn't help either (we are not EU) as we need sponsorship (which I consider a terrible competitive disadvantage). Not to mention that USA and the rest of Europe may be even worst.
I know that we may count our blessings here, but being Australia a country in growth and expansion and also next to Asia (growing exponentially)- having permanent residency, for me would the best bet comparing the things that are happening around.
BUT, I'm not there so this is just an opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.