Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Gold Coast thread...

The Gold Coast thread...

Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:52 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Gold Coast thread...

Originally Posted by mooncat
whereabouts is your rental?!
Scared now! We only have extra skinny wallets!!

Prices are rising rapidly here, I've seen rises predicted of between 16 and 30% next year. Rentals are in short supply and prices are rising for these too.

Everyones coming here!!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve`o
that rentals quite commom we are paying 470 a week at the mo
but not for much longer as we move into our own home in two weeks
and very nice it is too, been following your renovations.

Is that what you're planning to do business wise? (renovate I mean)
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Julez82
Excited and bricking it! Have a rental apartment sorted but still no job, hoping to line a few interviews up soon!

Check seqrents.com.au for their rental properties on the GC, I've found one for 3 months - 2 bed 2 bath @ A$315 p/w.
Thanks Julez, was on the site for about 4 hours last night and sent off loads of emails. When I got up this morning I had 14 replies!! 3 or 4 bed ranging from 315 to 400 a week. Wasn't really in to the whole gated complex thing but can't afford to be fussy. (especially now the world and his wife are going to the GC!!)
How does it work with still being over here? Have you actually got a contract on a place then or do you have to go over and then sign up for it? I know they all want bonds and references which is no problem but do they let you have a place without actually meeting you?
I'm kind of opposite to you...I have the job but no rental and no arrival date as yet!

Sarah
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=sambo76;4974150]
Excited and bricking it! Have a rental apartment sorted but still no job, hoping to line a few interviews up soon!QUOTE]

Loadsa work out here if you just look for it, it really is about asking everyone and not about your cv! I was offered 3 jobs in my first week of looking, just gotta be cheeky n ask. One guy I know asked the bloke delivering his sofa for a job and got it, another did the same with the meter reader, and he also got me a job offer just by a quick call to his boss!
See you at the meet
Hi Sambo

OH is a meter reader at the mo and is looking for a job for when we get out there. Do you know the name of the company the guy worked for by any chance? (or the sofa delivery guy come to think of it!!) (just thought I'd ask)

Sarah
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

and very nice it is too, been following your renovations.

Is that what you're planning to do business wise? (renovate I mean)
nope i`ll stick to sparking
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:24 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Julez82 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Julez, was on the site for about 4 hours last night and sent off loads of emails. When I got up this morning I had 14 replies!! 3 or 4 bed ranging from 315 to 400 a week. Wasn't really in to the whole gated complex thing but can't afford to be fussy. (especially now the world and his wife are going to the GC!!)
How does it work with still being over here? Have you actually got a contract on a place then or do you have to go over and then sign up for it? I know they all want bonds and references which is no problem but do they let you have a place without actually meeting you?
I'm kind of opposite to you...I have the job but no rental and no arrival date as yet!

Sarah
Sarah,
I'm not sure how it works with all the properties, with the short term rentals (which is what I'm going for) you either pay a token deposit (by cheque) or you pay the bond (deposit) and first 2 weeks rent by bank transfer from the UK. Once they've received the money (takes about 3-4 days) they should give you confirmation of your booking and a booking reference.

I think with the longer term rentals (6 months + ) you give them a reference name and number which they make a brief check of. If you have had a mortgage then you can always show them evidence of regular mortgage payments as proof of your reliability? I'm sure that they have ways and means of obtaining a reference, sometimes they only need the name and number and they don't always check! :O YOu will pay a bond upfront at the time of application to secure the property, if I remember correctly?

Each property/complex will have their own ways of doing things but I'm pretty sure that as they primarily cater for migrants etc then it should be relatively easy to secure a property before you go! I've found most of them really helpful, the lady at the Apartments where I'm staying has organised my transfer from Brisbane airport, a baby cot and for food to be in the apartment when I arrive so all I have to do is get there and catch up on my sleep! (Daughter permitting, of course)

Have you got a rough idea of when you're moving over, or when you'd like to move over?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:24 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Julez82 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=mooncat;4976251]
Originally Posted by sambo76

Hi Sambo

OH is a meter reader at the mo and is looking for a job for when we get out there. Do you know the name of the company the guy worked for by any chance? (or the sofa delivery guy come to think of it!!) (just thought I'd ask)

Sarah
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Sarah,
I'm not sure how it works with all the properties, with the short term rentals (which is what I'm going for) you either pay a token deposit (by cheque) or you pay the bond (deposit) and first 2 weeks rent by bank transfer from the UK. Once they've received the money (takes about 3-4 days) they should give you confirmation of your booking and a booking reference.

I think with the longer term rentals (6 months + ) you give them a reference name and number which they make a brief check of. If you have had a mortgage then you can always show them evidence of regular mortgage payments as proof of your reliability? I'm sure that they have ways and means of obtaining a reference, sometimes they only need the name and number and they don't always check! :O YOu will pay a bond upfront at the time of application to secure the property, if I remember correctly?

Each property/complex will have their own ways of doing things but I'm pretty sure that as they primarily cater for migrants etc then it should be relatively easy to secure a property before you go! I've found most of them really helpful, the lady at the Apartments where I'm staying has organised my transfer from Brisbane airport, a baby cot and for food to be in the apartment when I arrive so all I have to do is get there and catch up on my sleep! (Daughter permitting, of course)

Have you got a rough idea of when you're moving over, or when you'd like to move over?

This is spot on, everyone has there own methods as you say but our experience was just as you say. Pay a deposit and a couple of weeks rent in advance, we used Ozforex to do this, give them reference details of any rental you may have had in past, your address in Uk etc, and that was it! Easy, you've researched well!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=mooncat;4976251]
Originally Posted by sambo76

Hi Sambo

Sarah

No probs ! PM'ed you!
Sam
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light

whereabouts is your rental?!
Scared now! We only have extra skinny wallets!!
The Grand Apartments, Marine Parade, Labrador.

Thinking about it, We s'pose it is not too bad. It is fully furnished, full laundry, Foxtel TV, Surfers/Hinterland view from LARGE balcony, secure parking, internet, electricity. The only thing we have had to buy, is a potato peeler, theres is blunt.......

TTFN

Dave and Kath
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:45 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Anyone coming over soon and got space in their container? I could do with you bringin me a big roofbox, they are expensive here and I gave mine away before I came over.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Honestly folks, I wouldnt dream of signing up on anything till you get here, you really have to see it first.

Try and sort out a motel etc and then have a look around when you get here.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by auspal
Honestly folks, I wouldnt dream of signing up on anything till you get here, you really have to see it first.

Try and sort out a motel etc and then have a look around when you get here.
Booking my place from the UK was one of the best things I did in the move. It was exactly as I expected it tp be, as was the neighbourhood- just down to thorough research. I am dead chuffed with it and it was one less thing to sort when you arrive... but i guess it's a risk. I booked thru seqrents, and at this time of year as you have said Mooncat you have got loads of offers, it would be better to get the offers when you're here and then you can check them out yourselves.... horses for courses- you'll only be there for 6 months max anyway!
Sam
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I met an Aussie lady a couple of years ago from Melbourne, she was a widow and decided to retire to the Gold Coast, she bought a unit sight unseen in a complex on the Coast, saw the lovely photos in the brochure of the barbie area and the swimming pool. She was devastated to arrive and find out that the area was referred to by the locals and even those who lived there as
" The Bronx" Okay she had bad luck and didnt do her research properly, but 6 months is a long time to live in the Bronx or if you break your lease , to pay two rents. Just be aware thats all.

Last edited by auspal; Jul 2nd 2007 at 8:56 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:14 am
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice

Originally Posted by auspal
I met an Aussie lady a couple of years ago from Melbourne, she was a widow and decided to retire to the Gold Coast, she bought a unit sight unseen in a complex on the Coast, saw the lovely photos in the brochure of the barbie area and the swimming pool. She was devastated to arrive and find out that the area was referred to by the locals and even those who lived there as
" The Bronx" Okay she had bad luck and didnt do her research properly, but 6 months is a long time to live in the Bronx or if you break your lease , to pay two rents. Just be aware thats all.
What's the area you refer to as The Bronx?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.